Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Hikes with Trilobites

Post by joebartels » Feb 15 2016 7:32 am

I've been asked about hikes or exploring areas with beds of trilobites. Near Page, Bisbee or anywhere in AZ.

I see mentions in...
Mack's Crossing via FR#137, AZ
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=63692

Or maybe there is a book that is useful.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Hikes with Trilobites

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 15 2016 8:18 pm

You need to be in formations below the Triassic. So nothing near Page. They are rare in the Kaibab Limestone near Flagstaff. There are some in the Grand Canyon; I haven't seen any but I have some friends who have collected them (under permit). There might be some near Payson. Plenty of other invertebrates preserved there but no trilobites that I've seen. There are lots of good localities in Nevada and Utah, but I am not sure how far those beds extend into Arizona.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Feb 15 2016 8:43 pm

Beds of Trilobites are hard to find... we have found a bed of Bright Angel Shale outside of the Grand Canyon with lots of pieces of trilobites in the green shale.. It isn't a very big area and won't share it with the public.. took a lot of research to find it and want to keep it safe.. Haven't been there in a few years need to see if it has changed...
The site that I have there on the road to Mack's Crossing if you look at the cliffs as you walk along a pygidium will be found here and there as well as all kinds of Brachs and other shells that is in the Kaibab... have found a lot of trilobite bits in the Redwall limestone as well out in the Kohl's ranch area...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Nighthiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Feb 15 2016 9:13 pm

I had a geology class and visited the GC for a field trip and it included an area that had trilobites and another area near East Clear Creek.
jk

Return to “Geology”