All posts must be respectful

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Recent death & rescue in Death Valley NP

Post by Pivo »

They were in the back country and had two flat tires on their Subaru.

Who uses a full-size spare and carries a tire plug kit and air pump. Also who has had two flats on a trip and didn't have a second spare or repair kit? I have never had two flats on a trip, but someone else I was with did. Luckily someone had a tire plug kit and a pump.

https://people.com/human-interest/woman ... ot-injury/
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Re: Recent death & rescue in Death Valley NP

Post by friendofThundergod »

I read something else about this incident too, its perplexing. I just can´t imagine leaving that car with three days worth of water for some cross country trek like they did.
Pivo

Post by Pivo »

Agreed. They also left their dogs in the Subaru? WTF!
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

Pivo wrote: Apr 29 2021 11:55 am Agreed. They also left their dogs in the Subaru? WTF!
Wow is that true? I saw the same pic and its in both articles I read, but I hoped it was just a photo of the couples car from another time, I thought the background looked like somewhere in AZ, yikes if true, even more perplexed by it all now...
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

The photos of the vehicle and the couple were from before this incident and shared while the search was ongoing to help the public know what to look for. Though it is a bit ironic that on the press release posted by the sheriff at the time they were missing there was great concern for the dogs. Less so for the two missing people.
33s over 45s
Pivo

Post by Pivo »

chumley wrote: Apr 29 2021 12:12 pm there was great concern for the dogs. Less so for the two missing people.
I believe it's generally accepted that dogs are better than people, so no surprise.
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Slashed two sidewalls on my Burgundy FJ on Cherry Creek when it was pretty new. Plugged one and then used the spare. Changed to 10 ply tires after that. The guys at discount couldn't believe a sidewall plug held. Had to plug a tire in Parashant because the spare was a different size and I didn't want to use it. Drove about 800 miles home on a borderline sidewall plug. Again I think C rated tires. Had a flat on the Cherokee near the Racetack in DV and had to drive on the donut many hard miles to I think Beatty to get the tire repaired.
A lot of the roads in Death Valley are not kind to street tires. I could see getting two flats out there really easily.

I have in both my vehicles air compressors ( one's that run directly off the vehicle battery not the cig plug) plug kits, fix a flat or slime, in the Jeep an ausi style air bladder to help lift a tire if I have to. I also usually carry a shovel and pick ax and pry bar in case of road work. Several wood blocks to use as jack stands, chocks or to fill tire eating potholes.

And I have a sat phone. I know, air time very expensive, but sure nice to talk to someone if you need to to explain the situation. Lots of blank spots for cell phone in DV. There is a cabin located near Panamint Springs that used to have a list of all the towers and which ones you could try to get a signal from depending on the carrier.
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

Only had two flats once since I was with another Jeep driver and just borrowed a spare from them. When I was in the Santa Teresa's another Jeep driver had two flats and I lent them my spare. When I had my first Jeep, I was using Armstrong True Tracs and they were 8 ply and its not the same tread design. Very sad about the incident in Death Valley NP.
jk

Return to “Fatalities”