All posts must be respectful

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

HAZ member imike, sad news

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 23 2017 11:16 am

Via rwstorm, social media and meetup, I've learned that long-time HAZ member from Alamogordo, "imike" has died from a fall while on a hike. This occurred about Dec 12. On social media he was known as Michal Ja.

From what I can learn it may have been on a hike called Bishop's Cap, although Randy may be able to find out more via his meetup memberships.

Mike had lived in Tucson for a while as well, and knew a lot of hikers there.

I went to his place in Alamogordo one time to buy a vintage Kevlar kayak he had stored under his house. He was a friendly person. Randy and Jim_H both had hiked with him.

Rest in peace, Mike!
Last edited by azbackpackr on Dec 23 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: HAZ member imike, sad news

Post by Jim_H » Jan 02 2018 3:34 pm

Have you considered sending the El Paso Meet up a message to voice your concerns?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 02 2018 3:51 pm

No. Its not a community I'm involved with. This one is. It doesn't make sense to accuse them of slinging rumors around if we're repeating the same rumors here. As someone who had a close family member suffer a very publicly discussed death, I can tell you this type of stuff is not appreciated. That's all I'm going to say about this.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 02 2018 3:53 pm

As much as human instinct makes us curious, the fact is that we are talking about somebody's loved one in a forum that is open to the entire world to see and read. We can't control what other people post elsewhere, but we can control what we post ourselves. The posting of rumors, unverified information, secondhand, and thirdhand accounts isn't going to stop. But you and I don't need to be another link in the chain.

If you are close friends of the victim and his family, you should contact them directly and allow them--at their discretion--to tell you whatever information it is that you are seeking and if they want you to share it publicly.

If not, it's best to recognize and understand that it's not any of our right to know.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jan 02 2018 3:56 pm

Well, I'm sorry if I appear to be slinging rumors around. I tried to keep my post factual.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Return to “Fatalities”