Broken Ribs

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Broken Ribs

Post by Jim_H » Jun 06 2010 10:56 am

After dislodging some rocks and falling while hiking Peak X the other day I have come to the conclusion that I fractured a couple of ribs. It could just be a very minor fracture or a small hematoma on the ribs, but either way the pain is rather bad and it hurts to sit up or twist, or do anything that uses my core muscles and pulls on the ribs. Not going to a doctor, no need as they aren't floating and there is really no treatment for something like that.

Anyone had a rib injury before and if so how long did it take to heal before you were at least 75% back to normal?
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

joebartels

Re: Broken Ribs

Post by joebartels » Jun 06 2010 11:26 am

I had a fractured rib (I think) back in 1999, it took a month before I could sleep comfortably.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Jun 06 2010 11:50 am

I've fractured, bruised and separated em... 4 - 6 weeks before really beginning to really do anything again is the general recommendation I've gotten.. and I'd have to say that it's pretty true at least for fractured and separated ribs. If you don't feel pain when breathing, my money will be on a bruised rib (at least IME). Naturally bruised ribs heal up much faster, although do feel somewhat similar to a broken rib, but more importantly you can continue to be active.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 06 2010 12:04 pm

The ribs are tender right at at boundary of the thoracic and abdominal cavity, so it might be cartilage or a bruise. It hurts only with deep inhalation. I'm hoping to be better in a week, but thats probably unrealistic,

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 06 2010 1:57 pm

I had bruised ribs and wrapped my torso tightly with a couple elastic bandages. The pressure helped ease the pain when breathing. My Sensei applied Ki to help the healing, but I don't remember how long it took to heal. Sure makes you conscious of your breathing.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 06 2010 2:12 pm

Bummer. You're probably right about the treatment options. I've never had a rib injury myself, but I've seen some nasty ones that were treated with nothing more than painkillers and the brilliant advice not to move around too much.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jun 06 2010 7:08 pm

Just hope you don't catch a cold. Coughing and sneezing is the worst thing with this type of an injury.......I still remember that pain, and that was 25 yrs ago.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 07 2010 8:02 am

It's happened to me, twice, and it took about a month before the pain on inhalation went away and about three to get back to normal activity. It's a rotten injury, for sure...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Jun 07 2010 8:23 pm

Yea, I cracked a couple ribs from a snow tubing accident and it took about a month before it stopped hurting to breath... :roll:
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Jun 07 2010 8:31 pm

@Vaporman
That's almost funny, I separated a couple mountain biking last year.. then went tubing a month later and did it again :y:
mike

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 07 2010 8:51 pm

Actually, I think I bruised them. They have gotten a lot better today and while sleeping was still rough last night, it was nothing like 2 nights ago. You can't really tell unless you get an x-ray. I'm glad I didn't break any.

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Jun 07 2010 8:52 pm

Good, they'll heal up much faster. Just be careful with em, and you should be able to return to 'somewhat normal' soon!
mike

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 07 2010 8:54 pm

Yeah, well I won't be doing the south ridge of X anytime soon. It wasn't really that much fun and then the injury happened.

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Jun 08 2010 7:42 pm

I'm just now getting comfortable sleeping 3 weeks after my shoulder surgery. 3 more weeks of a sling and then physical therapy. I went jogging on the canal 2 days ago with a light camelbak and a towel under the strap to pad my shoulder. I think in another 2 weeks I might be good for my first hike back.

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Sep 13 2015 7:01 am

I broke a rib climbing (over compressed the chest down a chimney)... got to hear it snap! One month in and the knot in my chest is finally not a constant feeling. I think I'm ready to start working out again... slowly for the upper body. Seems to be healing faster than with previous breaks...???
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 13 2015 7:10 am

@imike
Ouch!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 13 2015 9:17 am

imike wrote: Seems to be healing faster than with previous breaks
There's a sentence I hope I'll never type. Here's to everyone keeping each of their bones in one clean, solid, unchipped, uncracked piece.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Sep 13 2015 10:52 am

This was an odd blast from the past to see come up. Ironically, I was thinking of this lately due to both my fall on Wednesday and my still swollen and painful knee, and because something else made me think recently that I got lucky that day, as had I not put my sweater in my pack the impact of my fall in 2010 could have given me a pnuemothorax, if it didn't break a rib.

Take care, Mike.

Return to “Fitness & Health”