Hey! My sprained foot's healing!

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SgtLumpy
City, State: N Phoenix, AZ

Hey! My sprained foot's healing!

Post by SgtLumpy »

In another thread I mentioned that I injured my arch somehow on a treadmill. SpiderLegs recommended trying barefoot treadmill. I'm a big, overweight guy. I figured barefoot would be totally out of the question. I'd need all the padding I could get to cushion my big, heavy blob of a body as it came crashing down on my tarsals. BUT - I tried it. And wow! I've had a bunch of relief! Really slow speed, like 2MPH for only a mile or two. But no shoes, no sox. Just my naked footsies. Seems the foot bones, tendons and ligaments were forced (allowed?) to flex and stretch. I found myself landing on the balls of my feet very naturally, instead of the heels, as I do in running shoes. Couldn't do it very long or very fast. If I tried that, it would cause my form to degrade. But after just a couple of barefoot sessions, my bad foot is quite a bit less painful. The noticible swelling is nearly gone.

I can't say I'm ready to run or hike barefoot or in minimalist shoes. At least not just yet. But I have become a fan of barefoot treadmill as a therapy.

Thanks for the suggestion, SpiderLegs.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Hey! My sprained foot's healing!

Post by SpiderLegs »

No problem Sarge. I don't hike or run in minimalist footwear just occasionally go barefoot on a treadmill. Though I have been playing around with my stride when I'm hiking. Now make an effort to hike on the balls of my feet and I made my stride shorter.

Feet are the most neglected part of your body when it comes to training. It's amazing how much abuse your feet take, but when they are done receiving the abuse and want to let you know it can be quite painful. I'm a big klutz and have a tendency to roll my ankles on a regular basis. So not only do I focus on taking care of my feet, I also spend time everyday working on strength & balance for my ankles. Keeps me on the trail with fewer injuries.

Read this article by a strength & fitness coach and he made the observation that if you see anyone over the age of 40 running, you can't really call it running. More like "speed limping". Go out and look at older runners and most have awful form and quite a few are gritting their teeth because they are in pain. That was my wake up call and a tough one at that. Used to run a lot, raced in 3-4 events a year but after injury after injury finally decided to hang up my running shoes. Now I walk, hike and climb, mysteriously most of my injuries have disappeared.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

SgtLumpy wrote:In another thread I mentioned that I injured my arch somehow on a treadmill. SpiderLegs recommended trying barefoot treadmill. I'm a big, overweight guy. I figured barefoot would be totally out of the question. I'd need all the padding I could get to cushion my big, heavy blob of a body as it came crashing down on my tarsals. BUT - I tried it. And wow! I've had a bunch of relief! Really slow speed, like 2MPH for only a mile or two. But no shoes, no sox. Just my naked footsies. Seems the foot bones, tendons and ligaments were forced (allowed?) to flex and stretch. I found myself landing on the balls of my feet very naturally, instead of the heels, as I do in running shoes. Couldn't do it very long or very fast. If I tried that, it would cause my form to degrade. But after just a couple of barefoot sessions, my bad foot is quite a bit less painful. The noticible swelling is nearly gone.

I can't say I'm ready to run or hike barefoot or in minimalist shoes. At least not just yet. But I have become a fan of barefoot treadmill as a therapy.

Thanks for the suggestion, SpiderLegs.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Eeeeeyew, naked footsies? TMI TMI! ;) ;) ;)
Seriously, very glad to hear you are on the mend!

I had a foot injury due to running on the beach when I was living in Costa Rica last spring. Since there was no hiking available near where I lived I tried running on the beach, both barefoot and shod, and it was a big mistake, since I am not a runner!! I couldn't walk for a month without limping. I took Ibuprofen and kept my foot elevated all the time, and rode a bicycle when I needed to go anywhere. It finally healed. (In Costa Rica, Ibuprofen is available only from a pharmacist, and costs about 50 cents to $1 per 800 milligram pill. :o )
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
no avatar
----

Post by ---- »

@SgtLumpy
I've been dealing with a heel injury for a while myself, and I've simply been biking a lot more since that puts very little stress on my feet, been doing my Camelback hike workout less often, and saving my heel for real hikes. It is now almost 100%, and I'm up to biking 50 miles at a time :)
SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy »

Hey! It's healing even more!

I've been doing more and more barefoot treadmill. DIstance/Time/Speed all increasing gradually over the last 3 months. I can really feel my feet getting stronger. I've always done quite a bit of treadmill with shoes on. But this barefoot thing has made a noticible improvement in everything, including my regular treadmill with shoes.

Thanks again SpiderLegs for the suggestion.

Now I'm even thinking of getting some of those weird sock/shoe things with the toes.

Sgt Lumpy
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

As I've mentioned in a couple of my last triplogs, against my better judgement I've started running again and committed myself to entering a trail race in October. Been running for a month so far and (knock on wood), no injuries, soreness or anything of the sort. Don't know if I posted this earlier or not, but I use a lacrosse ball to really dig into the bottom of my feet to keep them loose. Have also been doing a bunch of balance exercises, stand on one foot in various poses like on my heels, balls of my feet, standing on the lacrosse ball, etc... Does a world of good for strengthening your feet, ankles and calves.

Can't quite go as far as using true minimalist footwear, but have had really good luck running with a cheap pair of Adidas trail running shoes. Famous Footwear always has them on sale for around $45 and they don't have much padding.

Thanks for posting again, I was wondering what happened to you.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
SgtLumpy

Post by SgtLumpy »

SpiderLegs wrote:
Thanks for posting again, I was wondering what happened to you.
Thanks -

I got a little weirded out by rattlesnakes. Once I started seeing more than two on every day hike (McDowell Sonoran Preserve) I quit for the season. Once it cools off I'll get going again, I'm sure. For now I'm getting up early and riding my bike to the gym.

Sgt Lumpy
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

I'm glad you're doing better.
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

big_load wrote:I'm glad you're doing better.
Me too! For me, living up here on the mountain, it's hard staying fit in winter, since I hate the cold, and I also don't like the gym very much. But down there in the Valley, same thing, too hot in summer for most folks to really exercise much outdoors. Yes, we all know some of you do tolerate it, but not everyone does!

One thing I will never do again is running. I got hurt last time, hurt my foot running on the beach in Costa Rica, and limped for a month. If running had been something I had liked in the past, it would be different, but I am not built for it, and it was always very hard for me. In the past, I've been at a level of fitness where I could ride a road bike 50 miles easily, a mountain bike 25 miles, hike 15 miles easily, swim a mile and a half, but at the same fitness level, I would be hard put to run down to the end of my block! It just isn't for me. I wish it was, but have to face the facts.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Fitness & Health”