Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Poor Air Quality & Hiking

Post by SpiderLegs » Jan 16 2014 5:01 pm

So when the air quality around Phoenix is really poor, does anyone curtail their hiking activity? Anyone else suffering due to the dust and other particulates? I've been sidelined for the past two weeks or so since doing the Estrella ridge line. Think the 10 hours of huffing and puffing on polluted air sent my sinuses over the edge. Almost over the worst sinus infection I've had in the past 20 years. Hoping to get back out this weekend, but I've lost almost three weeks of working out.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Re: Poor Air Quality & Hiking

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 16 2014 5:41 pm

Hmmm. Well, you could just not breathe. Would that work?

Seriously, though, I'm surprised at how good the air quality here in San Diego North County is. California's crack-down on polluters has worked. It was much worse here in the 70's. I am not sure how much of Phoenix's bad air is from vehicles, agriculture, power plants, other industry. Have you ever looked into that? I'm sure the information is available. Not that it will help you at the moment, but could provide a focus for some political activism, if you like that sort of thing.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jan 16 2014 6:14 pm

i don't change anything

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 16 2014 6:19 pm

NJ has occasional high ozone alerts in the summer, due mainly to coal-fired electrical plants in PA. In my running days, I would have to slow down a bit, nothing more.

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jan 16 2014 6:48 pm

No curtail, but don't really worry since all my longer hikes are out of town.

Btw, drove down to Casa Grande today for lunch. UUUUUUUUGLY. Looked like Phoenix last week, it was so awful ... :sk:
http://prestonm.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Jan 16 2014 6:53 pm

I normally don't change anything either. But this bout of dealing with a sinus infection just stinks. Missed out on two weekends of prime hiking weather.

Bradshaws
Trendsettin' Kokopelli

Post by Bradshaws » Jan 16 2014 7:01 pm

The air pollution from dust, cars, lawnmowers and leaf blowers doesn't bother me as much as some of the noxious fumes coming off the people out hiking drenched in cologne or perfume :yuck:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." ~ Thomas Jefferson

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 16 2014 7:34 pm

Bradshaws wrote:The air pollution from dust, cars, lawnmowers and leaf blowers doesn't bother me as much as some of the noxious fumes coming off the people out hiking drenched in cologne or perfume :yuck:
DITTO!!!! YUCK!!!! PERFUME IS NASTY!!!!!

Did You know that there are some places where governments have acknowledged that some people are either super-sensitive or actually allergic to perfumes, and it has been made illegal to wear it? That would be wonderful. I hate being near someone who has it on. Makes me very uncomfortable. And I have a poor sense of smell, but it still bugs me a lot.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Jan 16 2014 9:25 pm

Bradshaws wrote:The air pollution from dust, cars, lawnmowers and leaf blowers doesn't bother me as much as some of the noxious fumes coming off the people out hiking drenched in cologne or perfume :yuck:

Can't stand the noxious noise coming from people's smart phones. Since moving out to the edge of town I don't have to deal with it as much, but hated listening to people's crap music on North Mountain and Squaw Peak when I lived in the 'Slope.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 16 2014 9:48 pm

It may just be a coincidence that you got this at this time....There's a lot of stuff going around right now too...You were here most of last Winter too weren't you??? I don't take Air Quality into effect at all when I'm planning a Hike, unless I'm looking at it from a Photography standpoint...I've lived and worked outside in this muck for years, soooo Hiking is really no different.....I can only think of one time when I really had Sinus Trouble after a Hike and that's when we had a lot of Smoke blowing in from somewhere....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Jan 17 2014 6:14 am

There is an interesting article that just started making the rounds on the internet a few days ago about the long term health of runners who train for ultra marathons. One of the things that researchers found was that they were more prone to allergy & sinus issues. The theory at this point is that because the people running are outside for so long that their exposure to allergens is higher. So I guess the theory would hold true for people who hike on a regular basis.

I've lived in Arizona on and off for 30 years now, but for some reason this winter has been the worst for sinuses.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 17 2014 6:34 am

Although my Valley Fever was probably a result of being outside all the time since I moved here in '02 I haven't stopped being outside as much as possible, whether here in the valley or hiking elsewhere.

Otherwise I'd probably get sick from being indoors, whether mentally (already there?) or physically from the recycled germs, radon, etc., etc...
:M2C:
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Jan 17 2014 6:59 am

I usually don't let a small cold or general allergy issues stop me either. But a full blown case of sinusitis is another matter. It zaps all your energy and there is a slight chance that exercise may cause the infection to drop into your lungs. Going to chance it this weekend, think most of the infection is gone.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 17 2014 1:31 pm

I've had VF but have never had a sinus infection in my entire life. Knock on wood...

Barrett
Solopelli

Post by Barrett » Feb 18 2014 9:01 pm

Other than hiking in the morning and avoiding high particulate days, you could always wear a particulate filter mask.
The big craze is the "Training Mask", which just restricts airflow but does not filter. The claims made by the manufacturer do not seem to hold up to scrutiny, and it seems like a much better idea to filter the air.
Techno makes an activated-charcoal filter mask designed specifically for working out, and will be far more effective than a hardware store mask. (If you can get used to it).
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

RickVincent
Augerpelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by RickVincent » Feb 19 2014 7:56 am

Without winds and rain to knock the pollution out of the valley, air quality has really suffered. We need rain. Until then, you may need to rely on a particulate mask as suggested by Barrett.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 19 2014 9:42 am

Band of brown along the I-10 corridor within the past hour, but I can still clearly see the Estrellas from Sunyslope ...
http://prestonm.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Oct 03 2015 7:27 pm

Air quality must be excellent right now. I live near SR 51 and Indian School, and can see the Luke Mountains very clearly, and then South Mountain, Piestewa and North Mountain are all very clear. When can we expect the hazy, filthy days to begin? Not that I want them, I just wonder how long we have.
I just feel better, when I eat a carbon based diet.

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by mazatzal » Oct 03 2015 8:32 pm

Jim_H wrote:Luke Mountains
Do you mean White Tanks?

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Oct 03 2015 9:12 pm

Sure, which ever.
I just feel better, when I eat a carbon based diet.

Return to “Fitness & Health”