Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Between Hike Recovery time?

Post by Jim_H » Mar 28 2015 11:16 am

Maybe it is aging, maybe the hikes, or maybe just my expectations have changed over my real hiking career began 9 years ago, I don't know, but this months big hikes have left me sore, and fatigued more than I recall in the past. Sore muscles near joints, feeling the muscles working and burning a little when going up steep sections, and the feeling that I can't get away with only 1 day between larger hikes. Maybe I did so little last month it set me back, where prior big months like last fall, and the fall of 2013, saw me coming off of active summers. I don't know. Allergies, too, seem to be a problem this year in a way I don't ever remember them being when I visited Tucson from 2011 to last spring.

Do most big hikers rest for several days, or do they just always manage to get in a hikes to never lose the fitness level? I think 2 days is more realistic, but not always what you might want to do. Ideally, one could go out 4 or 5 days a week, but 4,000' 5 days a week is a lot of hiking, and not practical.
I just feel better, when I eat a carbon based diet.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Re: Between Hike Recovery time?

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 28 2015 1:33 pm

The heat always used to beat me up and make me more tired, even when I was pretty used to it.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 28 2015 1:48 pm

:scared: @Jim_H
I suspect it is really caused by to much sitting time on the puter between hikes...Just sayin... :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Mar 28 2015 1:50 pm

When I hike several day in a row I always follow what I did when I was running....Hard followed by easy days.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Mar 28 2015 5:31 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote::scared: @Jim_H
I suspect it is really caused by to much sitting time on the puter between hikes...Just sayin... :scared:
But I don't play golf!

It can't help, but I haven't been giving meself many days at all between hikes recently. I would say that long periods of work, and not hiking much in February hurt me. Maybe April, will be my month. Though I am not concerned with any records.

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 28 2015 9:03 pm

I bet you're not getting your RDA of organic buffalo.
3-minute master!

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Mar 28 2015 10:09 pm

Some people weren't meant to be like some of these ultra-hikers on here that can hike multiple peaks at a 3mph+ pace in one week or day. I know I'm not. You should probably mix easy hikes into your routine, like Sabino Canyon Road or Douglas Spring or Chiricahua Nat'l Monument, or hike at night where you are sort of forced to slow down. Or get a mountain bike and work different muscles. Biking is good for the knees.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » Mar 29 2015 8:45 pm

It's called aging... I turn 40 in a few months and although I am in my best shape in 15 years, the recovery/soreness period is longer the older I get.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"
http://jasoncleghorn.wixsite.com/azdayhiker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 30 2015 9:33 am

I find any hiking seems harder if I haven't hiked for 3 or 4 days.

Now that I've completely loosed myself of the shackles of work I've been trying to stick to a hike everyday and alternating hikes easier-harder-easier-harder. By doing so I'm staying better fit and I don't feel quite as worn out at the end the hikes, I sleep better (I do believe one sleeps better when tired physically tired as opposed to tired form stress) and I'm ready to go hiking the next day.
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Mar 31 2015 3:13 pm

I've been lucky to train up at Mountain Athlete up in Jackson WY a few times. Their niche is training mountain guides, skiers, climbers and other people who do stuff outdoors. So picked up a bunch of good training routines and habits from them. I dramatically cut back the hiking and trail running twice a year for about a month each time to hit the weight room. Doing lots of squats and other barbell work has helped me quite a bit. Then I use my kettlebells on a regular basis the rest of the year. My legs are stronger and my recovery is shorter.

Last time I was up there this guy in his 60's who still guides up in the Tetons as his full time job and was just back from Everest was training next to me. He was kicking my butt in the weight room and inspired me to stay in much better shape. Want to be that old guy who still kicks tail on the trail.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Mar 31 2015 6:47 pm

So, basically, I should join a gym? Actually, I have been thinking about varying what I do, and notice what hurts most are the muscles that are used when doing deep lunges up big steps, or maybe what gets worked during squats. I guess part of the trouble with the gym, since I do some upper body just not much, is that I am largely bad at it and don't really care. I looong ago realized that I was not going to attract women by doing it, and I never seemed to get any real size, so I just stopped caring. I sometimes pick it up, sometimes drop it. Either way, it is always more than my life requires, so it is hard to justify the time, and it is boring. Plus, gyms smell and are full of people I generally don't enjoy being near.

Hiking, on the other hand, is fun and I like getting out most of the time. The trouble there, is that while I was almost always able to maintain a level of fitness to do something like a moderate MT Elden trail, day after or day ( I think, since I never did it), I find the fitness level needed to do a 4000 to 5000' hike is different, especially when steep. Kimball is currently far harder than I remember Humphrey or Elden to have ever been. Sadly, with the higher temps so early and my allergies which have been noticeably worse near the front range canyon riparian vegetation, my spring big hikes may be nearing an end.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Apr 01 2015 6:19 am

I was horrible at lifting as well, but just viewed it as learning a new skill. Just don't get a routine out of a muscle mag. Keep it simple and do a routine that is easy to follow. Squats, deadlifts, power cleans and some presses (bench & military) along with some pullups is all you need. My routine gets me in and out of the gym in 45 minutes.

Biggest thing that lifting did is add 10-15 pounds of muscle "armor" for lack of a better term. Usually take 1-2 big falls a year from tripping over something while out running or hiking. I've gotten cut up and bruised, but have not broken or torn anything.

The upside to hiking in Arizona is that you can hike/run all year long, the downside is that you can hike/run all year long. Hitting the gym for 6 weeks is a nice mental break and makes me excited to get back outside again instead of looking at hiking/running as a chore.

Return to “Fitness & Health”