Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
The_N
Paysonpelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Vegan = higher plasma protein levels = faster recovery time

Post by The_N » Jul 14 2015 8:27 am

Vegan = higher plasma protein levels = faster recovery time :D
Last edited by joebartels on Jul 14 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split from: Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike Record
If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Vegan = higher plasma protein levels = faster recovery time

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 16 2015 2:00 pm

@chumley

very true... David Zabriskie had to add a little fish to his diet but Lance Armstrong was draining blood out of his body, juicing it, and then pumping it back in :lol:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

The_Eagle
Eaglepelli
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jul 16 2015 2:12 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:draining blood out of his body, juicing it, and then pumping it back in
So that's what you are doing on our hikes?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 16 2015 2:26 pm

@The Eagle

:?
--bill callahan

Grimey
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Grimey » Jul 16 2015 6:16 pm

chumley wrote:Until they establish that anybody has ever participated in the race without the assistance of drugs, steroids, blood doping, or other nefarious means I don't think their actual diet can be taken into account.
The TDF started in 1904, so I think it is safe to say, there were many people who have participated without the assistance of drugs, steroids, and blood doping. Nefarious means? Well that is up for debate I'm sure, but I would guess someone has participated in the race without nefarious means. Maybe. :)

As for vegans and Le Tour - just FYI they used to sit on slabs of meat to ease the chafing from the saddle. Not sure if they ate the steaks after that, but, times were hard back then. A different breed of human.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 16 2015 6:58 pm

Grimey wrote:The TDF started in 1904, so I think it is safe to say, there were many people who have participated without the assistance of drugs, steroids, and blood doping.
Even way back then, stimulants were commonly used, like cocaine, for example. People have been cheating in racing ever since it was better to win than to lose.

Grimey
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Grimey » Jul 16 2015 7:25 pm

big_load wrote:
Grimey wrote:The TDF started in 1904, so I think it is safe to say, there were many people who have participated without the assistance of drugs, steroids, and blood doping.
Even way back then, stimulants were commonly used, like cocaine, for example. People have been cheating in racing ever since it was better to win than to lose.
Probably true, although "commonly used" doesn't necessarily mean "everybody used". I am not entirely convinced that use of legal stimulants in sports should be classified as "cheating" though.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 16 2015 7:47 pm

I know a high school wrestling coach who says "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough." But I think he might have been quoting somebody else.
(He does idolize Tom Brady...)
Ja vi elsker dette landet

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Jul 16 2015 8:11 pm

@chumley
Hey, quit picking on Tom Brady. :lol:

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 16 2015 8:58 pm

I used to race bikes. We used to say better cycling through chemistry. From personal experience, bike racing is not the healthiest of activities.

The healthiest I've been has been doing good old fashioned hiking and hitting the weight room a few times a week.

BobP
Cairn Reaper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Jul 16 2015 9:32 pm

I compare veganism to LNT. In its truest form, we as humans can't not effect the environment or animals. Wait we are animals so anything made by humans goes against all vegan rules. Pulling veggies out of mother earth effects mother earth. Sizzling veggies in a pan effect mother earth. Yada yada yada . any clothes made by human animals effects mother earth. No honey because bees make it. Blah blah. I'm glad tough boots isnt a vegan and just a veggyhead. I don't agree with a lot he says but he is passionate about his beliefs and backs it up. I respect vegetarians but feel the whole veganism in its strictest form is unattainable and global warmingish wait its climate change or ???. Momma earth is not fragile in my opinion. I wonder if Dino said the same thing
No access to soapboxes or smilies. Take it for what it is geology without the IQ.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 16 2015 10:38 pm

@BobP

I feel that the most constructive conversations about veganism only occur when people ignore the political / environment / animal activism associated with it. Its a dietary decision and can be discussed outside of the ideology. There is a resistance to it that you don't see associated with low carb, paleo, etc. and I think that is very telling. The more interesting and useful topic to discuss is whether ultra-endurance athletes can succeed on a plant-based diet-- not whether veganism is a valid or non-hypocritical lifestyle.
--bill callahan

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 17 2015 5:38 am

@Tough_Boots
That's a reasonable approach. I also dislike the rants and geopolitical reasons people come up with for being vegetarian. I was a vegetarian for 10 years, age 17 to 27. I studied meditation with someone from India for many years, and the vegetarian diet, with dairy, was considered by my instructor to be more healthy and more conducive to having better experiences in meditation. I did eat a few eggs and occasional fish (I lived in San Diego and Hawaii, so the fish was fresh and fantastic).

I didn't have too much trouble with the diet, but if I didn't exercise all the time I would gain weight due to all the carbs and fats, (homemade bread, rice and beans, butter, cheese, etc.) But I got tired of messing with it after a while. I added some meat to the diet. Also, I met my husband, and he was not a vegetarian. I didn't undergo any big huge change by switching back to eating meat occasionally. No stomachaches, etc.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Post by BobP » Jul 17 2015 5:58 am

@Tough_Boots
When talking about elite ultra endurance athletes, diet is not the word I would associate with them. Genetics play a much greater role. A big heart is a blessing but it can also be what kills them in the end. Ultra athletes diets vary and could be plant or animal based or both. There are so many variables depending on where you live and what's available. One thing about some big time marathon record breakers.... most belong to the y dna t which was formerly k2. Others like Thomas Jefferson and BobP belong to it also. :y: And before anyone comments no I am not elite in any way except for maybe rock study.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 17 2015 8:32 am

The other thing with elite endurance athletes is they can often get away with murder on what they eat and drink. I've only met the guy once, but had friends that were personal friends of Lance Armstrong. Plus was fairly well acquainted with a handful of other professional cyclists 20 years ago. Almost all of them could drink you under the table in addition to burying you on a training ride or race. Have heard a couple of really good stories about some of the parties that Lance attended. Can't name names publicly, but also know a few guys that represented the U.S. at the Olympics that smoked a lot of weed, but still could race on the international stage.

To go off of what Bob said, the best thing you can do is pick the right set of parents. It all boils down to DNA & genetics.

The_N
Paysonpelli

Post by The_N » Jul 17 2015 12:22 pm

@BobP
When it comes to food, humans are the dumbest animals on the planet. We spend all our time, money and resources to fatten up and protect animals to eat. Eating them is killing us slowly, but instead of acknowledging this, we spend even more time, money and resources while torturing and killing more animals just to look for cures for diseases that are caused by eating animals in the first place. This cycle of stupidity only enriches the pockets of big pharma. Statins (cholesterol lowering meds) have become the most prescribed drugs in the world, when all one would really have to do is cut back on dietary cholesterol. Then again, most ppl only eat for palate pleasure.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Jul 17 2015 12:30 pm

I don't think there was a problem historically with people eating animals. It's sort of how society advanced to where we are today.

But our modern lifestyles have changed and most people do not spend 15 hours a day doing physical activity anymore. Which may have more to do with our overall health than eating animals.

* Disclaimer. I'm not a scientist and I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

The_N
Paysonpelli

Post by The_N » Jul 17 2015 12:44 pm

@chumley
They were also eating better quality meat. No antibiotics ridden, hormone pumped, GMO fed animals like the ones who's carcasses are sitting in the meat case at your local grocery store nowadays. I think getting ppl to consider the source of their meat would have a greater impact then attempting to break everyone of their food addictions and stop eating meat all together. That would help public health but as they say "good health makes sense, but it doesn't make dollars."

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Jul 17 2015 12:49 pm

Luckily Congress just voted to eliminate "country of origin" labeling for meat! :roll: :doh:

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Post by BobP » Jul 17 2015 1:28 pm

@The N
Dogs that gorge till they puke may be dumber. Yeah the was directed at you BrunoP. As far the as rest of your post, I will salivate like Pavlov's dog before eating whatever meat I choose tonight. But mostly my diet consists of massive amonts of carbs.

The_N
Paysonpelli

Post by The_N » Jul 17 2015 1:35 pm

@BobP
Exactly my point, palate pleasure. The average American diet is 90% animal products and processed foods and only 5% fruits and veggies. No wonder the epidemic of disease in this country. Diet related diseases and modern medicine kill 2 million Americans each year combined. But hey, as long as it tastes good right!?

Return to “Fitness & Health”