Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

SI Joint pain

Post by JasonCleghorn » May 28 2016 7:31 am

Other than rest (which I'm not really equipped for...) and stretching, which I've tried and tried but hate, any desperation home remedies for SI joint pain? I'm just NOT healing properly, have been to chiro 2X and refuse to take muscle relaxers. I abhor medication.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"
http://jasoncleghorn.wixsite.com/azdayhiker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: SI Joint pain

Post by trekkin_gecko » May 28 2016 8:02 am

yoga, physical therapy, swim, bike
starting to think that's what i have, rather than a piriformis issue
no suggestions on what to do at home for it
everything i try, especially stretching, makes it worse
you might see a regular physician and go from there

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » May 28 2016 8:05 am

@trekkin_gecko I'm thinking about making an appointment with an orthopedist next week. I got too much to do to have to deal with this right now... :)
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"
http://jasoncleghorn.wixsite.com/azdayhiker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli

Post by trekkin_gecko » May 28 2016 1:51 pm

@JasonCleghorn

take a look at this:
http://www.egoscue.com/
others have mentioned it

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 28 2016 2:02 pm

MedX Lumbar Rehab has been the only thing to help Tracey:
Medxonline.com
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 28 2016 5:32 pm

trekkin_gecko wrote: take a look at this:
http://www.egoscue.com/
others have mentioned it
:SB:
I didn't need to read past the first page...
"If you cut your arm, it doesn’t stay cut. If you break your leg, it doesn’t stay broken. Why are the herniated discs in your back, your torn meniscus, or your degenerative hip joint any different? The answer is THEY AREN'T! We simply have to give your body a chance to heal. Once that happens, you'll be well on your way to being pain free and living an active lifestyle."

Let's just take at one portion of that statement... torn meniscus.

First, no I am not a doctor, however I have had meniscus removal in both knees due to enough damage they simply could not repair themselves.

Why could they not recover on their own?
Because the inner two-thirds of the meniscus does not have a good blood supply and thus does not heal well either on its own or after repair.

And a degenerative hip joint?
If it is from osteoarthritis, while there are plenty of effective treatments to help you manage your chronic condition, there is no cure!

And if Egoscue is so successful, why is it that after 45 years they only have 25 clinics IN THE WHOLE WORLD?

Although I DO believe in a lot of self-healing (bio-feedback worked absolute WONDERS for me with tension headaches), in this case, yes, I am definitely a skeptic.
/ :SB:
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli

Post by trekkin_gecko » May 29 2016 6:01 pm

I was more interested in the specific back exercises I've seen. Overreaching philosophy, not so much. Maybe not a good reeference

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 29 2016 7:13 pm

And if Egoscue is so successful, why is it that after 45 years they only have 25 clinics IN THE WHOLE WORLD?
Because only about .001% of the world can afford it. But I've talked to one or two of them who also swear by it. It's very popular amongst PGA Tour golfers (who apparently put some stress on their spine).
3-minute master!

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » May 29 2016 8:23 pm

Aight, folks, no arguing. :) We all need to be kind to one another. Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya. No sacred datura for me, though.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » May 30 2016 5:31 am

@JasonCleghorn
JasonCleghorn wrote: stretching, which I've tried and tried but hate
Me, too. I have lower back pain quite often. I use ibuprofen. When it's really bad I use ibuprofen every 4 hours and Tylenol every four hours, offset, so that I'm taking something every two hours. Last winter I went to a really good chiropractor twice a week, in Bullhead City. Those treatments have mostly held, and I've been a lot better this year. Very occasionally I have a stiff neck, knee pain when hiking and also elbow, wrist, and hip pain. Due to wrists and hands, I thought I'd have to quit playing the guitar, so I got a couple of ukuleles. But now I play both.

What does SI stand for?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » May 30 2016 6:28 am

It's the Sacroiliac Joint. It's those bony knobs at the extreme lower back. Its where the pelvis and sacrum join.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 30 2016 6:42 am

@JasonCleghorn
Okay, thanks for the info! I do have lower back pain, as I've mentioned. Not sure the cause but it comes and goes. Going hiking now. Hiking is generally good for it. Running is bad for it. Biking is...meh--biking is fine once I've gotten in shape for that activity. Sitting at the computer getting my MA is VERY bad for it! Swimming also hurts the lower back when I first get started with it, although I think that will pass once I break in my swimming muscles. I'm planning to get back into swimming this summer, at least 2X a week depending on how my work schedule jives with pool schedule.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » May 30 2016 5:02 pm

I have no idea what might help, however when I have back pain it is because I've neglected my core. So, to remedy, I start doing sit ups and that's always helped. Usually back pain is caused by a muscle imbalance and weakness.

As an aside, many people believe sit ups can cause injury or more problems. That may be true if one does not use proper technique when doing them. With the proper technique, sit ups are fine.
Go find a LonelyCache

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 30 2016 5:07 pm

@rcorfman
I get a backache from sit ups although I know I need to strengthen my core. I don't know how to do them properly. I also don't have very good muscle memory, to learn new stuff.

flagscott
Professor Pelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » May 30 2016 5:24 pm

rcorfman wrote:I have no idea what might help, however when I have back pain it is because I've neglected my core. So, to remedy, I start doing sit ups and that's always helped. Usually back pain is caused by a muscle imbalance and weakness.
+1 on strengthening your core. I do planks--I read somewhere that these are better for some people than sit-ups or crunches because planks don't involve bending your spine (don't quote me on this). Two days a week, I do two "sets" of 2 minutes each. Since I started doing planks regularly a year or so ago, my previous back issues, which were fairly minor as back problems go, have been much better.

My wife has been through several bouts of bad lower-back problems and swears by stretching--not just back stretches, but stretching glutes, hamstrings, and calves, too. I went to PT for back issues a couple of times, and they said the same thing. Of course, this is pretty easy for her because we are habitual stretchers and do stretches every couple of hours during hikes and for 15-20 minutes after running.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 30 2016 8:13 pm

@flagscott
I'd have to have lessons. I have no instinct for that sort of thing (stretches). I have tried planks, looked at YouTube video. So I know where to get the info about how to do those. Thinking about doing Tai Chi. Used to do it a long time ago. There are classes in Flag.

amy1300
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix. AZ

Post by amy1300 » May 18 2017 8:38 pm

JasonCleghorn wrote:any desperation home remedies for SI joint pain?
A Physical Therapist I used to see, who is also a Yoga Therapist/Instructor, advised me to squeeze a yoga block between my thighs, before going for walks/hikes. He said the muscles involved in the squeezing action help to get the sacrum properly aligned to help the SI joints. I think it helped, and I've kept it up. Yoga block is a bit under 3 inches thick -- anything of that size would work, I suppose, if you squeeze it really hard, while standing with your feet placed close together. Hope you're already better since your post is from a while ago - but just in case this issue comes up again, I offer the above. (I'd supply the therapist's name, except that he moved to KS a while back, so he's no longer seeing people in AZ.)
"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy . . ." -- John Denver :D

Return to “Fitness & Health”