2%

Total votes: 208

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Hiking pain and pill popping

Post by chumley » Jan 10 2017 2:27 pm

Catchy thread title, huh?
(The poll is anonymous ... replies to this thread are not anonymous).

I'm genuinely interested in the opinions or habits of others on this because I've seen a wide range of drugs that people use before, during, and after hiking.

I think the most common is ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) and whatever Aleve is, or old-skool aspirin (Bayer) which are all NSAID (anti-inflammatory) drugs.

Then there are OTC pain killers like acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Prescription pain-killers I've seen on the trail include Vicodin (acetaminophen plus hydrocodone) and Percocet (acetaminophen plus oxycodone) and oxycontin.

Some people medicate with marijuana.

Plenty of hikers drink alcohol, but I'm not sure that is ever to relieve physical pain on or after a hike.

As for me, I generally try to avoid drugs unless it is absolutely necessary. I carry Advil, Aleve, and some old Vicodin in my med kit, but even on a multi-day backpack trip in the Grand Canyon I generally don't take even one Advil. I was prescribed the Vicodin for an injury years ago but never took one. But I figure if I ever need to self-rescue from something it might be good to have on hand. I personally consider alcohol and weed to be purely social, not medicinal (though I totally accept that marijuana has medicinal uses for many people).

I've seen some people eat Advil like candy -- it's just part of the hiking routine. I wonder how typical this is.

I know everybody is different (and every body is different) so what one person needs, another person does not so these opinions and experiences can't necessarily be applied from one to another. But I think it's an interesting topic nonetheless.
smoke it

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hiking pain and pill popping

Post by JasonCleghorn » Jan 11 2017 10:10 am

I take almost nothing, ever, only drink water while on the hike, I do drink coffee in the AM before a hike 90% of the time.

I don't like taking ANY medicine of any kind, including tylenol, advil, ibuprofen, etc.

Occasionally, I will take a couple ibuprofen if I have a headache on the hike but that's it.

I'm not a tee-totaler and I don't care about CAG SHOTS and those that enjoy them or can't summit a meaningful mountain without them, etc. but for whatever reason, when I am hiking or even at a summit, drinking a beer is the last thing on my mind. I have never drank an energy drink whether 5 hour energy or Rockstar or Monster in my life and won't.

I am lucky that I don't have any foot, knee, or ankle pains, ever. I have had some piriformis (read groin) pain in the last few months.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Jan 11 2017 1:09 pm

I seldom take drugs for pain, but when I do, I hike Vekol Valley and hope for the best.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Jan 11 2017 3:12 pm

I only take a small 3" X 2" Ziploc with a few doses of each of the Big 4. If persistent symptoms occur I may take;
Headache: Excedrin
Nasal/Sinus Pressure/Congestion: Sudafed (yes you have to sign for it at Walgreen's) , if no sneezes or runny nose.
Allergic Rhinitis: Antihistamine. Wal-Act ( contains the old Actifed formula). This is the only thing that works for me, I can hike through the drowsiness. Also contains the same active ingredient in Sudafed, so I would not take both.
Diarrhea: Imodium.
Sore muscles and bones you just have to deal with.
You aren't late if you don't show up!

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 11 2017 7:31 pm

I have no problem taking painkillers versus enjoying the pain. I take some Gabapentin every morning. And before a hike I make sure I have some extra Gabapentin with me plus some Oxycodone and sometimes some Norco.
I hike alone 99.9% of the time so I need to be ready for anything.
I have a new doctor and am getting a custom brace hopefully before the end of this month. I am hoping it will work better than any of the others that I have tried. If not she will get me some different painkillers.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 11 2017 8:56 pm

@Widowmaker
I have never heard of any of that stuff. But if your doctor says it's ok and you can put 2000 miles on an ankle that doesn't pivot and looks like this :o , more power to you! : rambo : :app:

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 11 2017 9:14 pm

@chumley
Well I have high hopes for the new brace. If it works like it suppose to then less painkillers.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

BrettVet
Vetopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by BrettVet » Jan 12 2017 11:00 am

My joints gave out years ago from thousands of miles hiking and backpacking. Drugs and weight loss could not overcome the pain, so rather than living vicariously through the pages and pictures of hike az.com I became a Mule rider. Now I can reach the back country with no problem with minimal amounts of Aleve mostly for a sore butt.

https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=157639

uphill_junkie
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by uphill_junkie » Jan 12 2017 2:19 pm

I'm with Jason (except for the beer part :) ) I think the problem with pill popping is that you could end up injuring yourself MORE if you don't know were the pain is coming from, or if there is pain. I've twisted my ankle so hard so many times that I involuntarily cry it hurts so badly, but I just curse like a sailor and limp for about 5-10 minutes, and then it subsides. I have had people try to push vitamin I on me, but I won't take it. I want to know what's going on with it so I can treat it properly, or not treat it at all and just wait for it to go away. As for sore joints, a day or two rest, or a soak in a hot tub or epsom salt will take care of that. Too much vitamin I will take a toll on the liver and kidneys, and the rest of the stuff, you run the risk of becoming addicted. But as you said Chumley, everyone and every body is different. I prefer to only take stuff for migraines - and even then only as a last resort.
No pants!

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 12 2017 5:00 pm

If a couple ibuprofen or Aleve can numb a pain enough to render it unnoticeable, then you're probably not injured enough to really worry about it.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jan 12 2017 6:40 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:If a couple ibuprofen or Aleve can numb a pain enough to render it unnoticeable, then you're probably not injured enough to really worry about it.
I respect your opinion and would have agreed with you in my younger days. But now if an ibuprofen helps me get a good nights sleep on the ground, it is worth it. And if an M&M gets me going in the morning, I will take them.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 12 2017 8:13 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:And if an M&M gets me going in the morning, I will take them.
And there is no limit restrictions on M&M's.... :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Jan 12 2017 11:37 pm

Mmmmm Vicodin.

Gimpy Hippy use to be a Vitamin I kinda gal after every hike...

Nowadays I "walk it off" until I can't anymore (usually day 4 or after 45 miles whichever comes first)

...then I dig into my safety supplies for some relief along with one Ibuprofen to allow comfortable sleep.

But only if it's necessary. On our 76 mile hayduke trip there were 2 nights where I popped Vitamin I before tent time. 2/8 nights isn't bad at all!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jan 13 2017 11:06 am

Milligrams matters, as does frequency.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Jan 14 2017 7:49 pm

Never thought much about the pain meds I carry in my first aid kit. But I guess they're more for other people than for myself, since I have only taken any once that I recall. Have given plenty out to others.

Discovering the joys of a spiky foot massage ball has eliminated the only recuring cause I ever had to consider pain meds. :)
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Jan 15 2017 6:48 am

Pain is weakness leaving the body. Other than mosquito bite stuff to stop itching I've never really carried any pain relievers.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 15 2017 8:21 am

Everybody is missing the one important pill that so many HAZ'ers carry and consume when they reach the peaks.
I give you....
https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=592127
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 15 2017 8:31 am

@SuperstitionGuy
That's the stuff I she to wash down my oxycodone and gabapentin
Rowdy and Widowmaker

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jan 15 2017 8:37 am

Here is another pain reliever not yet mentioned in this thread and it is specifically for feet.
https://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=540123

KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Jan 15 2017 10:05 pm

Legalize everything! No seriously - no need for anything here - 53 turning 54 and I have yet to pop anything while hiking - SCARY about the Cliff bars tho - they are a guilty pleasure from time to time as are some of the energy blocks.

I do imbibe but DEF not while hiking - that is an after event thing for me - to each his own I say tho. Can't imagine toking up while hiking - seems like a sure quick way into the Death in the Grand Canyon book - after the hike in limited quantities would be acceptable at least to me it would.

All in all - nothing for me while hiking cept water, salty foods and more water......I know boring.....
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » May 12 2017 6:46 pm

Jim_H wrote:NSAIDS are actually some of the worst things people can do to their body long term, and they have short term affects, too. I had a patient one time who was on dialysis from long term Ibuprofen use.
Since I've heard the 81mg aspirin a day thing and thought aspirin was an NSAID I was curious. According to webmd

- aspirin prevents platelets from clumping together, which prevents the formation of dangerous clots that can block a vessel and cause a heart attack or stroke

- non-aspirin NSAIDs work on that enzyme, too, but also affect another enzyme that promotes clotting. That can lead to heart attacks and strokes.

See pain reliever alternatives and whip up a White Willow Bark Capsaicin shake with Pumpkin seeds after your next hike!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Fitness & Health”