2%

Total votes: 208

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Hiking pain and pill popping

Post by chumley » Jan 10 2017 2:27 pm

Catchy thread title, huh?
(The poll is anonymous ... replies to this thread are not anonymous).

I'm genuinely interested in the opinions or habits of others on this because I've seen a wide range of drugs that people use before, during, and after hiking.

I think the most common is ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) and whatever Aleve is, or old-skool aspirin (Bayer) which are all NSAID (anti-inflammatory) drugs.

Then there are OTC pain killers like acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Prescription pain-killers I've seen on the trail include Vicodin (acetaminophen plus hydrocodone) and Percocet (acetaminophen plus oxycodone) and oxycontin.

Some people medicate with marijuana.

Plenty of hikers drink alcohol, but I'm not sure that is ever to relieve physical pain on or after a hike.

As for me, I generally try to avoid drugs unless it is absolutely necessary. I carry Advil, Aleve, and some old Vicodin in my med kit, but even on a multi-day backpack trip in the Grand Canyon I generally don't take even one Advil. I was prescribed the Vicodin for an injury years ago but never took one. But I figure if I ever need to self-rescue from something it might be good to have on hand. I personally consider alcohol and weed to be purely social, not medicinal (though I totally accept that marijuana has medicinal uses for many people).

I've seen some people eat Advil like candy -- it's just part of the hiking routine. I wonder how typical this is.

I know everybody is different (and every body is different) so what one person needs, another person does not so these opinions and experiences can't necessarily be applied from one to another. But I think it's an interesting topic nonetheless.
smoke it

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Re: Hiking pain and pill popping

Post by RowdyandMe » May 12 2017 7:37 pm

@joebartels
Aspirin is a blood thinner
Rowdy and Widowmaker

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » May 12 2017 10:42 pm

@Widowmaker
So is rat poison.
Go find a LonelyCache

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » May 13 2017 6:58 am

@rcorfman
Good to know
Rowdy and Widowmaker

SteveHall
Historic Etchopelli
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by SteveHall » May 13 2017 8:28 am

I use to use Ibuprofen frequently. Now, only when inflammation gets real bad. A recent medical issue has made me change my lifestyle a bit. I can't say I stick to it strictly, but I eat healthier, stopped drinking for the most part (though I did just get some beer for a upcoming river trip) and hike more. When I stick with the healthy stuff, my joint pain is pretty much gone completely.

Though it is not technically Marijuana, I have been using CBD oil from the Hemp plant for the last couple weeks. I mainly use this for anxiety (and the difference is amazing!), I have also noticed it helps with pain as well.

Return to “Fitness & Health”