Missing hiker in the Mazatzals

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
bretinthewild
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Missing hiker in the Mazatzals

Post by bretinthewild » Oct 29 2019 8:57 pm

Story says Gary Morris, 73 is the fire chief from the Pine-Strawberry district and was hiking the AZT from Sunflower to Doll Baby Ranch, was overdue as of Tuesday morning 10/29/19

If anyone is in the area keep an eye out.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 503864001/

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in the Mazatzals

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 07 2019 5:11 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:I just hope they get to the bottom of these faulty GPS apps leading people the wrong way
Maybe he was holding it upside down... :?
CannondaleKid

david_allen_3

Post by david_allen_3 » Nov 07 2019 8:20 pm

Seeing how I met him on the trail the day he got lost I can chime in and say there was about a zero percent chance he would make it out on time. Very nice guy though.
Last edited by david_allen_3 on Nov 08 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wherever you go there you are.

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Nov 07 2019 8:32 pm

david_allen_3 wrote:
Nov 07 2019 8:20 pm
Seeing how I met him on the trail the day he got lost I can chime in and say there was about a zero percent chance he would make it out on time. I could explain more but rather not. Very nice guy though.
Perhaps he stopped off at the White Mountains first and was green blazing his way along the trail?
Go find a LonelyCache

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Nov 08 2019 8:47 am

Or maybe it was just a pair of those cheap AA batteries purchased at Dollar Tree? :scared: :scared: :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Nov 08 2019 10:34 am

Maybe he was holding it upside down
In all seriousness, Payson SAR seems to be kind of bungling this one. I am sure its tough to come out and say hey one of our guys made some mistakes and had to spend an extra night in the wilderness. But instead of vague and cryptic references to an app or a GPS and some sort of "technical" error, which helps no one. Why not make it a teachable moment and just come out and say the errors were human made, but here are some ways you can avoid making the same mistakes. Isn't that their job? Ultimately, if someone undertook a 50 mile backpack and was purely relying on an electronic app to get them from start to finish that is a "human" error in itself. Seems the chief is getting a little bit of the good ol boy treatment on this one to me.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 08 2019 1:07 pm

Glad he was found. My .02 worth. If you are undertaking a long on trail, or even short off trail, review your route, the general direction, the topography itself. Are you traveling generally northwest?? Minus some switchbacks or canyon crossing. Are you mainly ridge or canyon traveling or a mix?? If you are supposed to be going northwest and you have hiked 2+ miles east don't you think something is wrong?? I am just giving this as an example; not what he did or did not do. Note the trail conditions, even on really old trails cuttings of brush can still be seen years later, in certain areas, especially near the base of the plant, although it has grown and is blocking the trail. Animal trails, scree slides, misleading openings in vegetation that seem trail like is a problem, but you can usually ascertain that pretty quickly. If you get to really steep, cliffed out, weird routes that make no sense probably 85% of the time that is not the way.
Last edited by RedRoxx44 on Nov 08 2019 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Nov 08 2019 2:30 pm

I read a report that this was the 3rd time he had backpacked this section. It did not mention the time duration between each trip.
kurt

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 08 2019 3:45 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:In all seriousness, Payson SAR seems to be kind of bungling this one.
Agreed. Without full transparency the general public will never get the benefit of a teachable moment.
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 08 2019 4:39 pm

This thread is destined for locking. This kind of thoughtful discussion on a relevant topic can’t be allowed as the opinions expressed might be deemed offensive to somebody. Let’s all be nice here, ok?
Profound observer

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 08 2019 4:50 pm

I don't know why everyone is so taken with a man from that generation not admitting to a mistake. Seems par for the course to me.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

no avatar
sidhayes

Post by sidhayes » Nov 08 2019 6:34 pm

What generation?

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Nov 08 2019 7:23 pm

I have been reviewing my topo maps, old and new editions. USFS forest maps and wilderness maps including the first edition. Arizona Trail information from various sources. Though I have two basic GPS devices I do not use a mapping program for hand held units. I do know that some mapping software gives the location for the Payson Ranger District as either the fire station in Starr Valley or the Home Depot in Payson. The first edition of the Tonto National Forest topo map book list the Sharp Creek Camp ground in two locations, one is correct the other is located in Pine.
jk

Return to “Missing Hikers”