Robert A. Williams still missing in Grand Canyon NP

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Robert A. Williams still missing in Grand Canyon NP

Post by azdesertfather »

Here's the latest info from the National Park Service...
2009-05-29_Search.pdf
Grand Canyon NP news release
(103.66 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Robert A. Williams still missing in Grand Canyon NP

Post by joebartels »

Park Rangers Narrow Search Area in Grand Canyon National Park
Grand Canyon, Ariz. – Grand Canyon National Park
search and rescue personnel are now focusing their search
for Robert A. Williams on the Hermit Basin area west of
Grand Canyon Village.
The search for Mr. Williams began on Tuesday, May 26,
when family members became worried that he had not
returned from the holiday weekend. According to Mr.
Williams family, he had planned to do some hiking at the
Grand Canyon. Although no backcountry permit was
found on file, on Wednesday, May 27, Mr. Williams car
was found parked behind the Verkamp’s Visitor Center on the South Rim, indicating that he
might still be in the park.
With no specific itinerary to work from, searchers spread themselves across the three trails
easiest to reach from Mr. Williams parking spot—the Hermit, Bright Angel and South Kaibab
trails. Investigators also asked, through the media, for the assistance of anyone who was hiking
in the park over the holiday weekend and might have seen Mr. Williams. In response to this
request, the park received information which helped them to narrow their search to one area in
the park—the Hermit Basin area, located approximately eight miles west of Grand Canyon
Village.
The Hermit Trail itself is a popular trail. So, searchers on the ground are currently focusing their
efforts on areas of the basin that are less traveled. A dog team and spotters in a helicopter are
also being used in the search effort as weather allows.

Investigators continue to hope that anyone who hiked in the park over the holiday weekend and
believes they might have seen Mr. Williams will contact the Grand Canyon Regional
Communications Center at 928-638-7805.
Robert A. Williams is from Surprise, Arizona and is described as a white male, 69 years of age.
He is 5’5” tall, weighs approximately 165 pounds and has grey hair and brown eyes. He was last
seen carrying a dark green Gregory backpack.
- joe
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr »

I passed the word along.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

Seems there is not much new to report on this, other than the Park has scaled back the search:
Date: May 30, 2009

Grand Canyon, Ariz. – On Tuesday, May 26, the National Park Service was notified that 69 year old Robert A. Williams of Surprise, Arizona had not returned from the Memorial Day weekend, and that his holiday plans had included hiking in Grand Canyon National Park.

On Wednesday, May 27, Mr. Williams’ car was found in the park, indicating that he might still be in the park’s backcountry. With no backcountry permit or known itinerary to work from, rangers began searching a broad area from Hermit Basin, located west of Grand Canyon Village, to the South Kaibab area east of the Village. The trails throughout this area could easily be accessed on foot or via shuttle from the point where Mr. Williams’ car was found.

On Friday, May 29, park rangers were able to narrow their search to the Hermit Basin area based on information received after issuing a public request for assistance to anyone who had hiked in the park’s backcountry during the Memorial Day weekend.

An extensive search by helicopter, ground searchers, and a dog team has yielded no additional clues as to Mr. Williams’ whereabouts. As a result, a decision has been made to begin scaling back search operations. This decision was based on the totality of circumstances, including the rugged and steep terrain, the length of time that Mr. Williams has been missing (he was last seen on Saturday, May 23), and the number of hikers and searchers that have passed through the area without finding any indications as to Mr. Williams whereabouts.

Park rangers will continue to use dogs and searchers on foot on a limited basis to examine cliff areas where a fall might have occurred.

The National Park Service is appreciative of the assistance provided by local and national media in reaching out to the public for information about Mr. Williams activities in the park. Lisa Clarke, daughter of Robert Williams and family spokes person adds, “My family and I wanted to thank those people who saw the initial news release about the search for my father and took the time to call in and share some very helpful information.”

Additional news releases will be issued only as new details become available.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

A sad end:
GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK - Grand Canyon National Park officials say a body searchers found on Tuesday is presumed to be a missing 69-year-old hiker from Surprise.

Park rangers had been searching for Robert A. Williams since May 26, when his family reported that he was overdue after a Memorial Day weekend hike in the canyon. Rangers found his car near the South Rim the next day.

The search area was narrowed after people who had encountered Williams on his hike reported where they saw him. Rangers using spotting scopes began looking for Williams on slopes where he might have fallen.

They found the body on Tuesday about 200 feet below the hermit trail and flew it out of the canyon.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

That is sad, for sure. I wonder if it was deliberate or not? Sorry if this offends anyone, but I do always wonder that. Some people want to die in a beautiful place, I think.

Return to “Missing Hikers”