Search and rescue crews helping stranded hiker

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Search and rescue crews helping stranded hiker

Post by Jeffshadows »

TUCSON - Pima County Search and Rescue along with the Southern Arizona Rescue Association are helping a stranded hiker in the popular hiking area around Cat Mountain near Ajo and Kinney Road.

The hiker called 911 after he realized that he was stranded.

So far there are no reports of the hiker having any injuries.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Re: Search and rescue crews helping stranded hiker

Post by PLC92084 »

No injuries!? 911!? Does Arizona charge for "rescuing" "stranded" hikers??
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

I was hoping someone else would notice that, as well.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction »

of course, they've never actually charged someone for recovery under the 'stupid motorist law' either...
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.
Moovyoaz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Moovyoaz »

dysfunction wrote:of course, they've never actually charged someone for recovery under the 'stupid motorist law' either...
Not so.. but it's still rarely enforced.

In 1995, the state enacted a "stupid motorist law" that requires people who ignore barricades and signage warning them of floods ahead to reimburse the government for the cost of their rescue, which in many cases involves aerial rescue via helicopter - but they've never actually charged anyone for rescues since then... Until now.

Stupid motorists, beware - County to invoke law, charge for Cave Creek flood rescue
The Arizona Republic Feb. 17, 2005
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... cue17.html

SCOTTSDALE - The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office will invoke the state's "stupid motorist law" for the first time, after a Cave Creek man drove around traffic barricades and tried to cross a flooded street last week in his Hummer.
The driver, Paul Zalewski, 47, reportedly ignored warnings not to enter Creek Canyon Road in Cave Creek on Friday.

But "Hummers are made to float," sheriff's spokesman Lt. Paul Chagolla said. "Other people told him not to go in there, and he did it anyway," endangering himself and six passengers, including three children.

Zalewski was cited for reckless driving. If he is found guilty of the charge in Cave Creek Municipal Court, he will be prosecuted under the state's stupid motorist law, which was passed in 1995 and requires drivers to reimburse the state for the cost of rescues.

Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Travis Anglin said the cost of the 55-minute rescue could exceed $800, based on hourly rates for fuel and maintenance of the rescue helicopter, two employees inside the aircraft, insurance and any damage sustained during rescue.
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

I, personally, think that SAR should be setup and regulated in such a way as to permit the billing of the patient's insurance company like any other ambulance service. Let the insurance company deal with him or her if he or she is abusing the privilege... ;)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
Moovyoaz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Moovyoaz »

Jeff MacE wrote:I, personally, think that SAR should be setup and regulated in such a way as to permit the billing of the patient's insurance company like any other ambulance service. Let the insurance company deal with him or her if he or she is abusing the privilege... ;)
I agree, but how do you 'regulate' a volunteer group that doesn't want to be regulated? BTW, they don't get thanked (or rewarded) enough.
Previous HAZ topic from 11/09:
http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... rch+Rescue
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one
Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Post by Jim_H »

Stranded?!? Really? I guess no one else was around him and was therefore stranded. Some how back tracking never occurs to people. Why don't they write these as they really are, "Lazy hiker Calls 911 when he tires; hiker saved from self".
Reaching new standards in excelence.
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

Moovyoaz wrote:
Jeff MacE wrote:I, personally, think that SAR should be setup and regulated in such a way as to permit the billing of the patient's insurance company like any other ambulance service. Let the insurance company deal with him or her if he or she is abusing the privilege... ;)
I agree, but how do you 'regulate' a volunteer group that doesn't want to be regulated? BTW, they don't get thanked (or rewarded) enough.
Previous HAZ topic from 11/09:
http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... rch+Rescue
Simple; the calls come from 911 to the local, Sheriff-controlled professional rescue group that behaves and can bill like an ambulance service. If you have a need for a large search group to work a grid, you call the volunteers. This has worked extremely well for LV county for almost ten years, now...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur »

dysfunction wrote:of course, they've never actually charged someone for recovery under the 'stupid motorist law' either...
Payson Roundup
Stupid motorists’ getting stuck in Tonto Creek
By Alexis Bechman

February 5, 2010
While the water keeps rushing and the ‘do not enter’ signs remain posted, more and more motorists are attempting to cross the flooded Tonto Creek in Tonto Basin.

While some have made it across, others, like four motorists this last week, have found themselves stuck in the creek and with a hefty fine for their stupidity.

On Wednesday, around 1 p.m., a deputy with the Gila County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Store Crossing in Tonto Basin for a vehicle stuck in the wash, and early Tuesday morning, a deputy responded to the Punkin Center Crossing for a another vehicle stuck in the washed out creek. Both vehicles were removed and the drivers uninjured.

On Sunday, two separate motorists were removed after becoming stuck in Tonto Creek. The first driver drove into the creek around 9:30 a.m. and the second at 6 p.m. While both drivers and their vehicles were pulled out successfully, each was cited for failure to obey a traffic control device.

Gila County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Tim Scott said people choose to ignore the signs because they think they can get through the flooded creek; however, “the water is still running pretty good.”

Scott warned that if they have to pull someone or their vehicle out of the creek, the driver would be slapped with Arizona’s stupid motorist law.

Under the law, any driver who enters a barricaded roadway covered with water is responsible for any expenses incurred by emergency responders to remove them
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

FYI:
If your in trouble in the Superstitions please remember that Maricopa County Sheriff Joe and the DPS are the only ones that have helicopters that can help you. If you ask for assistance through the newly formed Pinal County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue Posse all they have is a trailor with some ropes and a stokes basket to help you and I am not sure that they even have purchased that trailor yet! :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

It's really the same thing here in Pima County, but SARA is a little more tied-in with the Sheriff's Park Unit...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 »

I was charged for a rescue on a base jump by the city of phoenix. But my insurance covered it, and suprisingly it wasnt that much. 800 bucks I think.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson
Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray »

Here's my recent experience with a 911 call and helicopter pick up. When the helicopter arrived and I was being walked over to the running chopper the co-pilot, wearing a full helmet, yelled to me " you will not be charged for this pick up because you gave us your GPS exact location". That's all they said to me as they flew the 5 miles to the parking lot to the waiting EMT unit. I'd blacked out on the top of a mesa at the turn around for about 4 seconds had a racing heart rate of 200 for sometime. BUT by the time I got to the helicopter and EMT unit I was fine... at least I thought I was. I went to the ER and the next day had a 5 way bypass. My reason for passing this on is to state that I did not "look" Iike I had an emergency to the rescue folks, but I did. I sent a card with a thank you note and brief explanation of my surgery to the EMT station and asked that they pass on the thanks to the Maricopa County Sheriffs office for the helicopter pick up. This took place on 12/17/09. Doing fine...thanks everyone.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

Sun Ray wrote:Here's my recent experience with a 911 call and helicopter pick up. When the helicopter arrived and I was being walked over to the running chopper the co-pilot, wearing a full helmet, yelled to me " you will not be charged for this pick up because you gave us your GPS exact location". That's all they said to me as they flew the 5 miles to the parking lot to the waiting EMT unit. I'd blacked out on the top of a mesa at the turn around for about 4 seconds had a racing heart rate of 200 for sometime. BUT by the time I got to the helicopter and EMT unit I was fine... at least I thought I was. I went to the ER and the next day had a 5 way bypass. My reason for passing this on is to state that I did not "look" Iike I had an emergency to the rescue folks, but I did. I sent a card with a thank you note and brief explanation of my surgery to the EMT station and asked that they pass on the thanks to the Maricopa County Sheriffs office for the helicopter pick up. This took place on 12/17/09. Doing fine...thanks everyone.
That's an excellent outcome, given the circumstances, and part and parcel why EMS units are trained not to do anything but follow protocol. Can you imagine of they had decided that you were "fine" and released you on scene? :o
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

A medical emergency is an extremely valid reason to call for help. It seems to never make it into the press as the reason for rescue. I wonder how many "lazy" hikers actually need real medical help.
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

jhodlof wrote:A medical emergency is an extremely valid reason to call for help. It seems to never make it into the press as the reason for rescue. I wonder how many "lazy" hikers actually need real medical help.
I suppose that depends on whether or not you consider mental health interventions "Help." :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA
Nan
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Nan »

Excuse me, I had to call for rescue once when I was neither hurt nor "lazy" - I was just plain lost, and backtracking only made me more disoriented. Mind you, this was in a forested area in BC and not in the Supes, where you can easily take direction from landmarks and sun. Fortunately another pair of hikers popped up on the trail a few minutes later and I was able to cancel the rescue before they scrambled.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Nan wrote:Excuse me, I had to call for rescue once when I was neither hurt nor "lazy" - I was just plain lost, and backtracking only made me more disoriented. Mind you, this was in a forested area in BC and not in the Supes, where you can easily take direction from landmarks and sun. Fortunately another pair of hikers popped up on the trail a few minutes later and I was able to cancel the rescue before they scrambled.
Without digging myself into a deeper hole, BC is an area that you could definitely get lost in. I do think that too many people call for help these days and no longer rely on personal responsibility. I see it a lot up here, and that is probably why I'm so pissy about it. Every year we get people calling for help on the Peaks who could easily get back to their car if they just weren't so lazy. The people who leave the Ski area in winter are the worst. The Peaks is a volcano that is shaped like a cone, if you're lost, just go down. I've hiked across the Peaks at night in the dark, it's not easy, but you don't need to call SARS because you got scared, there is no boogy man out there. This fellow in the story sounds like another lazy hiker who took the easy way out.
Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows »

jhodlof wrote:
Nan wrote:Excuse me, I had to call for rescue once when I was neither hurt nor "lazy" - I was just plain lost, and backtracking only made me more disoriented. Mind you, this was in a forested area in BC and not in the Supes, where you can easily take direction from landmarks and sun. Fortunately another pair of hikers popped up on the trail a few minutes later and I was able to cancel the rescue before they scrambled.
Without digging myself into a deeper hole, BC is an area that you could definitely get lost in. I do think that too many people call for help these days and no longer rely on personal responsibility. I see it a lot up here, and that is probably why I'm so pissy about it. Every year we get people calling for help on the Peaks who could easily get back to their car if they just weren't so lazy. The people who leave the Ski area in winter are the worst. The Peaks is a volcano that is shaped like a cone, if you're lost, just go down. I've hiked across the Peaks at night in the dark, it's not easy, but you don't need to call SARS because you got scared, there is no boogy man out there. This fellow in the story sounds like another lazy hiker who took the easy way out.
Exactly; SAR exists because there is a need.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Missing Hikers”