Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Dschur » Nov 16 2010 2:04 pm

Hike Arizona urges anyone interested in searching to post or join an event.

If you go out, please track your hike on a GPS and post it for the benefit of future searches. Simply post it upon return. (if you need help ask the webmaster) Hike Arizona will see that it gets linked to a master map. If you have multiple variations in your group, please post all tracks. As more info is posted the map will evolve and the overlaps will be removed.

Searched Routes

Southern Ravines Map

Forecast Mormon Grove & Peeley

Crews looking for missing hiker
By Alexis Bechman

November 16, 2010
Tonto Rim Search and Rescue volunteers and Gila County Sheriff officers are currently searching for an overdue hiker.

The man, whose name has not been released, was last heard from nine days ago and is believed to be hiking near the Mt. Peeley trail or Sheep Mountain, off Forest Road 201, southwest of Payson.

The Gila County Sheriff’s Office first received a call that the man was overdue Monday, Nov. 15 about 9 p.m.

“The hiker has not been heard from since Nov. 7 and frequents the Mazatzal Mountain Wilderness area,” according to a press release from the sheriff’s office.

The missing hiker’s vehicle was located at the Mt. Peeley trailhead.

Six TRSAR volunteers are currently searching the ground. Earlier Tuesday, a Department of Public Safety Ranger helicopter did an aerial search of the area, but found no signs of the man
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by joebartels » Nov 26 2010 5:20 am

suzaz wrote:Leaving in about 30 minutes but curious to know if Joe's 11/5 slightly lower route shaved any time for him? I probably missed that in the discussion.
Hank probably knows more...

...for a quick answer
The track is one-way and looks to be about 6 hours
8:56am to 2:46pm
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

suzaz
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by suzaz » Nov 26 2010 5:38 am

Thanks Joe----that answers my question and is EXACTLY what I needed to know.

SUN_HIKER
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Post by SUN_HIKER » Nov 26 2010 5:59 am

Hank and the rest of us had discussed this and came to the conclusion that that route was more difficult and therefore he would not have taken that one again. SAR came to the same conclusion based on the terrain.
However based on the incident with the two German Shephards that side where the dogs came alert needs to be checked out further.
SUN HIKER

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 26 2010 8:42 am

SUN_HIKER wrote:Hank and the rest of us had discussed this and came to the conclusion that that route was more difficult and therefore he would not have taken that one again. SAR came to the same conclusion based on the terrain.
However based on the incident with the two German Shephards that side where the dogs came alert needs to be checked out further.
If that spot is as steep as I recall, climbing gear wouldn't be a bad idea.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 26 2010 9:22 am

joe bartels wrote:

Postby joe bartels » Nov 26 2010 5:20 am

suzaz wrote:Leaving in about 30 minutes but curious to know if Joe's 11/5 slightly lower route shaved any time for him? I probably missed that in the discussion.

Hank probably knows more...

...for a quick answer
The track is one-way and looks to be about 6 hours
8:56am to 2:46pm
- joe

Actually after more investigation and the receipt of the correct track file from GPSjoe's friend in MD-"the superstition's", it turns out that this 11/5 exploratory hike from Peeley TH on the Mazatzal Div TR23, then off trail to try to gain the ridgeline, is actually a round trip hike that took him 8+ hours that day and covered a total of 7miles. Joe, in our discussions last night, this 11/5 hike is one of those new ones I wanted to add separately as a new link from the home page. Presently, when bringing up the main reference map from the home page, this 11/5 track shows incorrectly as a one way like you evaluated, but a few miles of it are missing on this now posted version, however it does show that GPSjoe was on this way back to TR23 before the track ends, so my deduction is that he tried this 11/5 to reach the ridgeline from this different approach angle, then got close, but had to abort it probably due to cliff-outs, but I don't know for sure, and what really is a mystery is why did he post that "003 waypoint" and what was the intended meaning of it?.. hopefully not for his planned take off point to head further up on MON-11/8??!! Just don't know, but if he had found his spot to continue from on 11/8, it seems to me he would have headed back to TR23 the same way he came in as apposed to making a kind of loop back as he actually did.. but..??
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 26 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 26 2010 9:30 am

SUN_HIKER wrote:However based on the incident with the two German Shephards that side where the dogs came alert needs to be checked out further.
I think we will get some feedback today or sometime this weekend on this arizonadreaming location ID. I have discussed with at least two hikers who are hopefully planning on further trying to find this location, further check it out, and report back.. also, as we know, I have also formally turned it over to David Bremson's- Mountain Rescue team for review.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Nov 26 2010 10:13 am

Here's the corrected stats...
Start 8:56am
Left trail 10:42am
Turn around 1:52pm
End 5:42pm

4:56 out
3:50 back
8:46 total
Screenshot-13.png
Interesting that he drops 200 feet below the saddle he knows he must pass.
Yet understandable since it took 3 hours and 10 minutes to go 0.6mi from the trail to his turn around point. He obviously had no interest in backtracking.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 26 2010 10:30 am

joe bartels wrote:Here's the corrected stats...
Start 8:56am
Left trail 10:42am
Turn around 1:52pm
End 5:42pm

4:56 out
3:50 back
8:46 total

Screenshot-13.png

Interesting that he drops 200 feet below the saddle he knows he must pass.
Yet understandable since it took 3 hours and 10 minutes to go 0.6mi from the trail to his turn around point. He obviously had no interest in backtracking.
Thx for that detail.. So, what do we now think is he probable/logical take away for GPSjoe for this 11/5 Exploratory Hike?.. that it should be an abort for his last attempt on Mon-11/8?.. what about that mystery waypoint location on his 11/5 named only (003)?.. a low probability to expend effort to search this 11/5 track area or what?

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 26 2010 10:49 am

Twoseeking wrote:I was on the Tonto Rim SAR team on Tuesday morning the 16th. We were the first ones to arrive and first to search on the mountain. Maybe some of the info I have will help some of you.
Twoseeking wrote: At my waypoint LAST, about 33d 59m 33s, 111d 30m 18s we saw the last of any physical disturbances. From there on, the brush was very thick but we saw no broken twigs, branches or ground disturbances, although we certainly created a lot of our own on our way in and out.

I tend to believe no one had hiked that part of the ridge for a long time. Two days later another of our teams was taken by helicopter to the summit and hiked down to our furthest point and found two sets of footprints, most likely ours from two days before.

At my waypoint 006, 33d 59m 35s, 111d 30m 11s, I saw disturbances heading downhill to the east. Two of us hiked about 100 yards down but could not find evidence of any path toward the summit, which was our assignment to search toward. Now in retrospect and reading the other blogs, I think it is possible that my waypoint 006 could have been a bailout point for Joe. Where I was looking, was one or two ravines west of where SSK44 is suggesting to look. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from following SSK44's advice, but another possible bailout at my waypoint 006 might be worth looking at. Although unlikely, it is possible that Joe might have tried to go along the north flank toward Sheep summit from somewhere in the area of the LAST, but that area is very dangerous with major dropoffs and loose rock. I would discourage anyone other than well equipped rope climbers to venture in there.
I wanted to bring this important post back up to the top of our forum thread for serious consideration for any qualified hiker/searchers looking for a important area that needs more search attention (before the winter in this area really sets in and closes down this area for a long time really limiting our ongoing search efforts for Dec into Jan-Mar 2011..).. Here again is the visual of his important waypoint 006 area: http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=167183

Also, for your future reference Twoseeking's present format above for his "006 waypoint" converts toThe HAZ preferred format of: N33.993056 W-111.5030556 ; You can go into the HAZ TrailDEX map and enter this format at the top right entry screen and hit GO and the HAZ magic will take you right to this location and put a brown teardrop; Also, you can do the same input by first loading the reference map link from our home page, then entering this waypoint format and it will do the same magic, but this time showing this location related to exactly on GPSjoe's actual hiking tracks for Nov'09(bailout route),and ridgeline hikes 12/4/09 and 4/27/10.
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 26 2010 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

juliachaos

Post by juliachaos » Nov 26 2010 11:30 am

@Grasshopper
I believe that suzaz is going out there today with some other qualified hikers to check out that spot specifically. I'm also planning on getting out there myself in the near future and taking a look at the same area.

With that elaborated route info that you and Joe B just posted, I'm starting to look more at the north side as well... just trying to get a feel for how Joe thinks when he's tackling a route, and other route possibilities he may have tried aside from the ridgeline.

no avatar
cdomin
City, State: Chicago, IL

Post by cdomin » Nov 26 2010 11:41 am

I posted 3 pictures I found on my dads computer from his 11-5-10 hike. http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=13341

I placed them within the Sheep / Maz photoset and dated them 11-5. Given the recent discussion of this "planning" hike to check out the northerly side of the ridge, I thought this migh be helpful. I think he was looking at exactly how hard gaining the ridge would be from there???? You all know far better than I, but these were filed under an 11-5-10 folder.

Chistian (GPSJoe's son)

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 26 2010 12:11 pm

@cdomin
Looks like the 1st pic from his 11/5 set and hike could be that mystery 003 waypoint location since I believe the timing of the pic taken after 1pm might correspond to this actual location for the WP003. EDIT: no pic 1 is not at WP003 location, WP003 was entered at 11:54am and pic 1 in the set was taken at 1:28pm and your other two pics in the set were taken after 1:28pm. But you posted pics do just confirm our previous thoughts of how rugged and dicey this 11/5 north ridgeline approach would be.
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 26 2010 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 26 2010 12:28 pm

SUN_HIKER wrote:However based on the incident with the two German Shephards that side where the dogs came alert needs to be checked out further.
Tomorrow, we'll have folks of different capabilities so we'll see if anyone wants to check out that spot and get pictures and waypoints.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

thebrayer
City, State: payson, az

Post by thebrayer » Nov 26 2010 2:35 pm

JUst back from the Peeley trailhead. Around 12:15 maricopa counties fox one flew over the trailhead and circled around to the other side. Does anyone know why they were out there?

Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray » Nov 26 2010 3:10 pm

'thebrayer' profile, posting above, has a link to TRSAR. It contains an article I believe has been posted but also some pictures that add to the story of the terrain in the area and the folks out looking. FYI

http://www.trsar.org/missions_recent/Sh ... eep-mt.htm
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 26 2010 3:15 pm

I realize that very few of us have the time to get into and stay up with all the detail (now 21 pages) that continues to unfold in a sincere effort to locate our GPSjoe and bring him home to his family and friends as soon as we possibly can. For those who can and are trying to follow, I now offer something new for your review, pondering, and comments back as appropriate:

Christian, Joes son, on ~11/21/10 located a new planning file on his dad's computer that today I have spent some time reviewing.. I offer this new planning file dated 10/19/10 and linked for your further review here--> http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=141 as GPSjoe's 10/19 planner for this last know actual hike route that we can confirm he attempted that was done and dated 11/5/10 (as we now know, he did his last hike out of the Peeley TH three days later on Mon-11/8/10 to a planned route and destination we know not where as of this writing). What I find very interesting about this linked route above is that he labeled this drawn-in planning track (for his 11/5/10 actual hike), the "Last Chance". So, what if any significance does this wording he used actually mean to him: Did it mean "Last Chance" to try a different route to summit Sheep Mtn other than his previous know routes 1) From over Mt. Peeley Summit to the Ridgeline and up; 2) Off trail from the Mazzie Divide TR23 to the Ridgeline and up? Did he mean it was his "Last Chance" to hike to Sheep Mtn summit if this 11/5/10 try did not work out? or 3) maybe "Last Chance" then go back to one of the other routes he had tried unsuccessfully? One thing that does standout for me on this above linked 10/19 planner for his 11/5 is that he initially planned via the drawn in route to hike around the north face of Sheep Mtn. and approach the summit going up from the west.. so, does this add any more complications to what we are thinking he may have considered on his Mon-11/8? Do we have any psychics out there who can help fit this puzzle together? :?
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 26 2010 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 26 2010 3:19 pm

We just have to acknowledge we do not know where to look... then look everywhere, as frustrating and difficult as that might be.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Nov 26 2010 3:57 pm

cdomin wrote:I posted 3 pictures I found on my dads computer from his 11-5-10 hike. http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=13341
I geocoded them to the GPS track, here are a couple views
Numbered or Topo close up
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

MtnResq30
City, State: Phoenix

Post by MtnResq30 » Nov 26 2010 4:34 pm

HAZ,
Busy night for Mountain Rescue. One search in the Superstitions and another on Four Peaks. Fortunately, both had a positive outcome.
I was in Fox One (MCSO Helicopter) and did a fly-by of the area this afternoon and saw several groups in the field. This was actually the first day that we were able to fly and not get kicked around by heavy winds so we took advantage and got down low on the northwest side.
Although we don't have teams actively in the field, we will continue to search when available. It is possible that we will have a small team in the area tomorrow.
David Bremson
Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association

thebrayer
City, State: payson, az

Post by thebrayer » Nov 26 2010 5:41 pm

@MtnResq30 MtnResq30 was that you I saw fly by today at around 12:15 pm at the Peeley Trailhead? I had just finished a trailhead search going out about three hundred yards in every direction. No results. I saw you guys and thought we had a resoultion. I'm trsar 577 and ran into one of you guys at the 87 and the turnoff on Tuesday the first day of the search.

Return to “Missing Hikers”