Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Dschur » Nov 16 2010 2:04 pm

Hike Arizona urges anyone interested in searching to post or join an event.

If you go out, please track your hike on a GPS and post it for the benefit of future searches. Simply post it upon return. (if you need help ask the webmaster) Hike Arizona will see that it gets linked to a master map. If you have multiple variations in your group, please post all tracks. As more info is posted the map will evolve and the overlaps will be removed.

Searched Routes

Southern Ravines Map

Forecast Mormon Grove & Peeley

Crews looking for missing hiker
By Alexis Bechman

November 16, 2010
Tonto Rim Search and Rescue volunteers and Gila County Sheriff officers are currently searching for an overdue hiker.

The man, whose name has not been released, was last heard from nine days ago and is believed to be hiking near the Mt. Peeley trail or Sheep Mountain, off Forest Road 201, southwest of Payson.

The Gila County Sheriff’s Office first received a call that the man was overdue Monday, Nov. 15 about 9 p.m.

“The hiker has not been heard from since Nov. 7 and frequents the Mazatzal Mountain Wilderness area,” according to a press release from the sheriff’s office.

The missing hiker’s vehicle was located at the Mt. Peeley trailhead.

Six TRSAR volunteers are currently searching the ground. Earlier Tuesday, a Department of Public Safety Ranger helicopter did an aerial search of the area, but found no signs of the man
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

MtnResq30
City, State: Phoenix

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by MtnResq30 » Nov 24 2010 3:25 pm

HAZ'ers:
Within the next week, or so, we will have a firm date for a Wilderness medical class in January. I am going to reserve it for HAZ, but note that there is a max of 24 students per class. If needed, we typically conduct a class every month or two and can set special classes for your group.

One additional thank you to everyone who heeded my request to not search during the weekend. I know that it was a difficult decision to not come out, but this allowed us to do what we needed to do, safely and effectively. We had our Mountain Rescue Team members on the mountain and in the bush, several dog teams and some horse teams. None of which would have been able to operate without your help.

Depending on our mission load, we may have some Team members in the area this weekend. If so, and you see us, please come up and introduce yourself. Typically, the holidays are very busy. Many a Christmas we have been called away for a search or rescue mission. Sometimes it's nice since it's an excuse to break away from the in-laws during the sixth game of mind-numbing board games.

David Bremson
Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Nov 24 2010 3:41 pm

Excellent to see some wilderness safety classes. I am in if dates workout

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 24 2010 3:42 pm

MtnResq30 wrote:Within the next week, or so, we will have a firm date for a Wilderness medical class in January. I am going to reserve it for HAZ, but note that there is a max of 24 students per class.
That sounds great! Thanks David.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Nov 24 2010 3:55 pm

I'll absolutely be in on a wilderness medical class.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 24 2010 4:43 pm

@MtnResq30
:thanx:
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

johnr1
City, State: tempe, az

Post by johnr1 » Nov 24 2010 5:20 pm

azdesertfather wrote:Does this mean to anyone other than me that we still shouldn't give up on the most probable (and already covered) routes? How much attention should be paid to researching those, as opposed to searching less probable but unsearched ones?
I have the same takeaway as you which is that It is worth while to revisit the areas along the routes as the PofA is very high while the PofD is low esp. for those of us who dont do this often. As a result, multiple "trials" improve the chances. That said, just hiking the trail is not going to raise the chances but taking the time to look down away from the path to the possible fall areas will be helpful. It was easy to imagine even an experienced and fit hiker on headlamp missing a turn or stumbling which could turn into a 50 foot slide even in the first mile of the maintained trail. Another factor supporting revisit is that the weather moves things around and clues may have appeared that wernt visible during the first searches.

The question of how much attention could be addressed as a resource question. The first 2 miles can be hiked by almost anybody which means that those who are uncomfortable with the very difficult, steep and remote areas can contribute without risking themselves and be assured that their effort has potential payoff. Others who are stronger can widen the area searched but with a lower Pd since they are dealing in tougher terrain.

nonot

Post by nonot » Nov 24 2010 5:31 pm

johnr1 wrote:
azdesertfather wrote:Does this mean to anyone other than me that we still shouldn't give up on the most probable (and already covered) routes? How much attention should be paid to researching those, as opposed to searching less probable but unsearched ones?
I have the same takeaway as you which is that It is worth while to revisit the areas along the routes as the PofA is very high while the PofD is low esp. for those of us who dont do this often. As a result, multiple "trials" improve the chances. That said, just hiking the trail is not going to raise the chances but taking the time to look down away from the path to the possible fall areas will be helpful. It was easy to imagine even an experienced and fit hiker on headlamp missing a turn or stumbling which could turn into a 50 foot slide even in the first mile of the maintained trail. Another factor supporting revisit is that the weather moves things around and clues may have appeared that wernt visible during the first searches.

The question of how much attention could be addressed as a resource question. The first 2 miles can be hiked by almost anybody which means that those who are uncomfortable with the very difficult, steep and remote areas can contribute without risking themselves and be assured that their effort has potential payoff. Others who are stronger can widen the area searched but with a lower Pd since they are dealing in tougher terrain.
John, this is exactly the way I tend to search, I take a step and think, what would happen to me if I fell right here. And I scan the area below me. As I continue forward, I will stop if I can't look at the area below me sufficiently. It's surprising, even on the first 2 miles of the Mazatzal Divide Trail, how many places you are a foot away from plummeting 50-100 feet.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Nov 24 2010 6:02 pm

@ MtnResq30
Thanks for all your comments and advice and I'd also be interested in taking that wilderness first aid class. :thanx:
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Nov 24 2010 6:41 pm

I can't get out there this weekend due to prior commitments (W-O-R-K) but I do have a pair of compact binoculars Barska 8 X 21 and one 2 way radio Brunton Roger-10 (10 mile GMRS radio) with extra batteries that I'd be happy to lend someone heading out there. Please PM me and we can make arrangements.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

MtnResq30
City, State: Phoenix

Post by MtnResq30 » Nov 24 2010 6:49 pm

Remember, there are more many clues and only one GPSJoe. Look for clues such as a debris field (hat, pack, hiking poles, glasses) in areas where a fall may have been possible.

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Nov 24 2010 6:57 pm

topohiker wrote:There's also the Sheep Creek Cabin which is 2.75 miles (As the crow flies) west of the Sheep MNT peak. It's near the intersection of the Sheep creek and the Sears trails.It's about 1,500 freet off-trail in a canyon.
I don't know if it's still standing or not.

Yes, that is the location of the only Sheep Creek Cabin I know of. There is no cabin there anymore. There is some sheets of tin (possibly the old roof) and some timbers, an old corral and an old wheelbarrow downstream a short ways! I was last there March 2010.

arizonaheat
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by arizonaheat » Nov 24 2010 7:07 pm

Spent the day searching.

For those wondering about the condition of the road to Peeley TH, it is excellent. A few rough spots the first couple of miles after leaving the pavement, then a passenger car could make it the rest of the way. Any two wheel drive SUV, should make it no problems.

May bump into some of you over the weekend. If you have shin guards take them.

suzaz
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by suzaz » Nov 24 2010 7:17 pm

Hey There HEAT! Thanks for the road update. Where did you look?
Last edited by suzaz on Nov 24 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaporman
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Nov 24 2010 7:17 pm

@arizonaheat

Thanks for the road report! And I'll be bringing my shin guards for sure... :sweat: : rambo :
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 24 2010 7:25 pm

@ MtnResq30 - David - thank you for the dedication and commitment from you and all of the MCSOSR, CAMRA and TRSAR teams. Your efforts are appreciated. Thank you for being so informative and responsive to this community. Your professionalism is a tribute to your training and character. I hope you and your teams enjoy a noneventful Thanksgiving.

Alan English
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 24 2010 8:17 pm

cjensen116 wrote:All, I know most of you are concerned about the road conditions and I have been speaking with a couple of the hikers that are attending off line. My husband is going to take a nice Thanksgiving morning drive tomorrow around 7 am up FR201 to the Mt Peely TH and report back the road conditions. I should have a report back to everyone by 11am tomorrow morning.n
arizonaheat wrote:by arizonaheat » Nov 24 2010 7:07 pm
Spent the day searching.

For those wondering about the condition of the road to Peeley TH, it is excellent. A few rough spots the first couple of miles after leaving the pavement, then a passenger car could make it the rest of the way. Any two wheel drive SUV, should make it no problems.

May bump into some of you over the weekend. If you have shin guards take them.
Are you ALL that are now planning a trip up to the Peeley TH (between 11/25-11/28 satisfied with arizonaheat's FR201 road conditions above or do you still want the Jenson's to make their Turkey DAY AM trip up there and back to report again?? Please reply back ASAP..yay or nay as they are now planning a 7am PHX departure for you..
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

tibber

Post by tibber » Nov 24 2010 8:36 pm

@Grasshopper
I think unless we have some unexpected weather blow in that we're good to go for the drive but we're not going until Saturday. I am sure those going on Friday can let us know if anything should be noted for Saturday's drive.

Thx for keeping an eye on us :D .
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

suzaz
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by suzaz » Nov 24 2010 8:41 pm

Based on what NOAA.gov is showing I believe there is a chance of rain tonight....it varies as you move the point forecast around a little. I think a check of the roads might be helpful and I'd appreciate receiving the update prior to my Friday morning drive up that road. ;)

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Nov 24 2010 11:22 pm

I'd be very interested in a wilderness/medical class! Sign me up~~~~
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

no avatar
arizonadreaming
City, State: Payson,Az

Post by arizonadreaming » Nov 24 2010 11:29 pm

I drove to the Mt Peeley TH today. The road is rugged but was fine with no problems, but I have a large SUV. Temp at 1pm was a brisk 38 degrees and partly cloudy. Had my 2 German Shepherds with me, they alerted several times to something on the left portion of the trail about 2 miles in. Have no idea what it was, they tried repeatedly to go down thru the thick vegetation but came back. They were able to get about 25 feet down. Deep ravine area. They were clearly on to something. Just an fyi.
Life is not measured by the breaths that we take ... but by the moments that take our breath away.

Return to “Missing Hikers”