Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Locked
User avatar
Dschur
Posts: 873
Joined: Oct 25 2002 4:29 pm
City, State: Payson, AZ
Contact:

Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Dschur » Nov 16 2010 2:04 pm

Hike Arizona urges anyone interested in searching to post or join an event.

If you go out, please track your hike on a GPS and post it for the benefit of future searches. Simply post it upon return. (if you need help ask the webmaster) Hike Arizona will see that it gets linked to a master map. If you have multiple variations in your group, please post all tracks. As more info is posted the map will evolve and the overlaps will be removed.

Searched Routes

Southern Ravines Map

Forecast Mormon Grove & Peeley

Crews looking for missing hiker
By Alexis Bechman

November 16, 2010
Tonto Rim Search and Rescue volunteers and Gila County Sheriff officers are currently searching for an overdue hiker.

The man, whose name has not been released, was last heard from nine days ago and is believed to be hiking near the Mt. Peeley trail or Sheep Mountain, off Forest Road 201, southwest of Payson.

The Gila County Sheriff’s Office first received a call that the man was overdue Monday, Nov. 15 about 9 p.m.

“The hiker has not been heard from since Nov. 7 and frequents the Mazatzal Mountain Wilderness area,” according to a press release from the sheriff’s office.

The missing hiker’s vehicle was located at the Mt. Peeley trailhead.



Six TRSAR volunteers are currently searching the ground. Earlier Tuesday, a Department of Public Safety Ranger helicopter did an aerial search of the area, but found no signs of the man
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

User avatar
The_Eagle
Posts: 1083
Joined: Jan 20 2009 2:46 pm
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az
Contact:

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by The_Eagle » Nov 24 2010 11:49 pm

@arizonadreaming
Did you have a GPS?
Route?
Waypoint for the area?
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

User avatar
juliachaos
Posts: 296
Joined: Mar 01 2010 11:36 am
City, State: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by juliachaos » Nov 24 2010 11:53 pm

@arizonadreaming Looking at the GPS routes, it looks like two miles in Steve (nonot) left the Mazatzal Divide Trail to the left, but the route goes up in elevation here, not down. Could you perhaps pick out on the map about where your dogs alerted? (Or was it to the right instead?)

User avatar
joebartels
Posts: 7020
Joined: Nov 20 1996 12:00 pm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by joebartels » Nov 25 2010 12:01 am

@arizonadreaming

perhaps about 1.8mi from the trailhead on the north face of Peeley?
http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=135
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
wanderingsoul
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 03 2005 12:47 pm
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by wanderingsoul » Nov 25 2010 3:40 am

I am interested in the Wilderness/Medical class. I'll be watching for an opportunity to sign up.

Everyone who is able to be out there this weekend be safe. Hoping azizonadreaming dogs interest is on to something.

no avatar
cjensen116
Posts: 8
Joined: Nov 23 2010 10:57 am
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by cjensen116 » Nov 25 2010 7:10 am

Just contacted weather sevrice in the area. They had no reported rain or snow last night. Since two people drove this yestedray, we held back this morning since weather conditions havent changed. If you need us for anything this weekend, dont hesitate to ask.

User avatar
thesuperstitions
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 20 2004 8:16 am
City, State: Columbia, MD

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by thesuperstitions » Nov 25 2010 8:16 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Good luck to all those that will be searching. And... thank you.
Hopelessly lost... but makin' good time!! (David Letterman)

User avatar
Grasshopper
Posts: 1651
Joined: Dec 28 2006 5:06 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 25 2010 8:31 am

cjensen116 wrote: If you need us for anything this weekend, dont hesitate to ask.
Thank you!
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

User avatar
Grasshopper
Posts: 1651
Joined: Dec 28 2006 5:06 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 25 2010 8:43 am

thesuperstitions wrote:by thesuperstitions » Nov 22 2010 6:58 pm
I'm kinda new to posting on HAZ so please forgive my pitiful first attempt at posting this map.

Attachments

SheepMountainPossibleApproaches.JPG
Possible areas to search...
I keep going back to your posted map attachment, for some reason on this map, your posted route for Joe's 11/5/10 exploratory hike (ie, the purple line track that leaves the yellow line track is different than the one I had for reference. I don't know why, maybe I just pulled the wrong track file for posting on HAZ, but I would much appreciate you forwarding me this purple track file in .gpx or .gdb format for my additional analysis. I will now send you a PM with my personal email address. Thank you!
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

User avatar
SUN_HIKER
Posts: 99
Joined: Feb 19 2003 9:01 pm
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by SUN_HIKER » Nov 25 2010 10:15 am

arizonadreaming wrote:I drove to the Mt Peeley TH today. The road is rugged but was fine with no problems, but I have a large SUV. Temp at 1pm was a brisk 38 degrees and partly cloudy. Had my 2 German Shepherds with me, they alerted several times to something on the left portion of the trail about 2 miles in. Have no idea what it was, they tried repeatedly to go down thru the thick vegetation but came back. They were able to get about 25 feet down. Deep ravine area. They were clearly on to something. Just an fyi.
Thank you for the feedback. Did you mark the area where your dogs alerted you with cairns? SAR has asked that anything out of the ordinary to please contact them, if you have GPS pls take the coord and then contact the Sheriff's Office. If no GPS please mark area with cairns etc. so the search team can go back and intensify their search in that particular area.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Gabriele
SUN HIKER

no avatar
arizonadreaming
Posts: 7
Joined: Nov 08 2005 12:08 pm
City, State: Payson,Az

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by arizonadreaming » Nov 25 2010 10:22 am

joe bartels wrote:@arizonadreaming

perhaps about 1.8mi from the trailhead on the north face of Peeley?
http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=135
I didn't have the GPS with me, so sorry. I based the distance on 30 mins of hiking in. ( could have been slightly under 2 miles) It was definetely on the left and extremely steep there. On the trail, I let them loose. My dogs did the usual dog actions they do, but in this particular spot, they were determined to investigate further this area but could not. Hiking with my dogs for years, I have learned they will find something ( discarded clothing, food, an animal carcass, etc) or roust out bedding animals in thick brush.
Life is not measured by the breaths that we take ... but by the moments that take our breath away.

User avatar
SUN_HIKER
Posts: 99
Joined: Feb 19 2003 9:01 pm
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by SUN_HIKER » Nov 25 2010 10:36 am

arizonadreaming wrote:
joe bartels wrote:@arizonadreaming

perhaps about 1.8mi from the trailhead on the north face of Peeley?
http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=135
I didn't have the GPS with me, so sorry. I based the distance on 30 mins of hiking in. ( could have been slightly under 2 miles) It was definetely on the left and extremely steep there. On the trail, I let them loose. My dogs did the usual dog actions they do, but in this particular spot, they were determined to investigate further this area but could not. Hiking with my dogs for years, I have learned they will find something ( discarded clothing, food, an animal carcass, etc) or roust out bedding animals in thick brush.
Oh wow, I see how steep the drop off is here. Thanks for indicating it on the map. Definitely needs to be checked out.

Gabriele
SUN HIKER

User avatar
Al_HikesAZ
Posts: 1348
Joined: May 16 2005 1:01 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 25 2010 10:47 am

Trishness wrote:I'd be very interested in a wilderness/medical class! Sign me up~~~~
The SOLO Wilderness First Aid class that I just took cost $155 and was 16 hours - 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. For full disclosure, it was taught by David Bremson, James Corbin and Mike "Gandalf" Englund sponsored by MCSOSR/CAMRA. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. We would learn and study for about an hour and a half and then go outside to apply what we had learned. We were in teams of 3. One person played the victim and two team members solved the problem. We learned the basics and we learned to IMPROVISE and ADAPT.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

no avatar
sam_hikes
Posts: 47
Joined: Jan 24 2009 2:59 pm
City, State: Phoenix,AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by sam_hikes » Nov 25 2010 11:12 am

arizonadreaming--sent you a private message. thank you for your time and efforts in searching for Joe.
arizonadreaming wrote:I drove to the Mt Peeley TH today. The road is rugged but was fine with no problems, but I have a large SUV. Temp at 1pm was a brisk 38 degrees and partly cloudy. Had my 2 German Shepherds with me, they alerted several times to something on the left portion of the trail about 2 miles in. Have no idea what it was, they tried repeatedly to go down thru the thick vegetation but came back. They were able to get about 25 feet down. Deep ravine area. They were clearly on to something. Just an fyi.

User avatar
Grasshopper
Posts: 1651
Joined: Dec 28 2006 5:06 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 25 2010 12:07 pm

SUN_HIKER wrote:by SUN_HIKER » Nov 25 2010 10:36 am

arizonadreaming wrote:

joe bartels wrote:@arizonadreaming

perhaps about 1.8mi from the trailhead on the north face of Peeley?
http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=135

I didn't have the GPS with me, so sorry. I based the distance on 30 mins of hiking in. ( could have been slightly under 2 miles) It was definetely on the left and extremely steep there. On the trail, I let them loose. My dogs did the usual dog actions they do, but in this particular spot, they were determined to investigate further this area but could not. Hiking with my dogs for years, I have learned they will find something ( discarded clothing, food, an animal carcass, etc) or roust out bedding animals in thick brush.

Oh wow, I see how steep the drop off is here. Thanks for indicating it on the map. Definitely needs to be checked out.

Gabriele
SUN HIKER
This is our first possible clue post to date (thanks for posting-arizonadreaming) and I do believe that when David Bremson- Mountain Rescue has his next opportunity to review our forum thread posts updates, that he will offer some guidance as to how to best proceed. Sounds like too steep a drop-off area up the Mazatzal Divide TR23 that would not be safe for the average day hiker to further try to investigate.

Also, I am starting to think (and we also need David's input on), that we are reaching a point now with all the momentum of members from HAZ, AZH, other possible outdoor organizations, and personal interests who are now planning active outings- day hikes and/or backpacks ongoing in search of more clues in the disappearance of our GPSjoe. This now being the situation, I am thinking that with more clues hopefully to continue to evolve and be made visible on this HAZ forum thread for further consideration, that it might be an appropriate time for the Maricopa County Sheriff's Dept- Mountain Rescue Department to provide us with their contact telephone number(s) and hopefully the responsible individual(s) who would be our primary contacts for reporting purposes?
Myself (Grasshopper) and Gabriele (SUN_HIKER) can work out the reporting logistics from this site to the Maricopa County Sheriff Deptartment or however David Bremson would suggest is most appropriate.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

User avatar
MtnResq30
Posts: 14
Joined: Jul 06 2010 2:04 pm
City, State: Phoenix

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by MtnResq30 » Nov 25 2010 12:23 pm

Clues:

You can email me your clues and I can pass them to the appropriate contact. Please consider the reliability of each clue before sending it though. Often we will receive reports of items that are clearly not associated with the missing subject, i.e., a pair of glasses that have clearly been in the field for years, old food cans, shoes, whatever.
The email address is info@mountainrescue.org
Grasshopper and Sun Hiker, please email me your contact information.
David Bremson
Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association

User avatar
Grasshopper
Posts: 1651
Joined: Dec 28 2006 5:06 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 25 2010 1:58 pm

MtnResq30 wrote:Clues:
You can email me your clues and I can pass them to the appropriate contact. Please consider the reliability of each clue before sending it though.
MtnResq30 wrote:Grasshopper and Sun Hiker, please email me your contact information.
David Bremson
Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association
Contact info sent and also sending on separate personal email, HAZ- arizonadreaming's recently posted first hopefully "reliable clue" for your office consideration and action as you deem appropriate. Thank you!
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

no avatar
sam_hikes
Posts: 47
Joined: Jan 24 2009 2:59 pm
City, State: Phoenix,AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by sam_hikes » Nov 25 2010 2:25 pm

arizonadreaming--do you have plans to re-visit and gps/mark this ravine?

I'm sure many on here are also interested and would be more than happy to assist.

has anyone received any further updates on this as I pm'd him my offering assistance?
arizonadreaming wrote:I drove to the Mt Peeley TH today. The road is rugged but was fine with no problems, but I have a large SUV. Temp at 1pm was a brisk 38 degrees and partly cloudy. Had my 2 German Shepherds with me, they alerted several times to something on the left portion of the trail about 2 miles in. Have no idea what it was, they tried repeatedly to go down thru the thick vegetation but came back. They were able to get about 25 feet down. Deep ravine area. They were clearly on to something. Just an fyi.

User avatar
Trishness
Posts: 629
Joined: May 21 2003 9:33 pm
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Trishness » Nov 25 2010 6:45 pm

Just got back from Suzaz's house where I dropped off binoculars, 2 way radio and two large topo maps (one of North Peak quadrant and one of Sheep Mountain quandrant). I hope this helps in some small way tomorrow.


Trish
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

User avatar
PaleoRob
Posts: 2339
Joined: Apr 03 2006 12:21 pm
City, State: Grand Junction, CO
Contact:

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by PaleoRob » Nov 26 2010 12:21 am

Sad to hear that resolution has not been reached. If the search is still ongoing over Christmas Break, I might be able to make the drive down. I would also be interested in the WFR/WFA class depending on date and cost.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

User avatar
suzaz
Posts: 66
Joined: Nov 23 2003 1:19 pm
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by suzaz » Nov 26 2010 5:03 am

Leaving in about 30 minutes but curious to know if Joe's 11/5 slightly lower route shaved any time for him? I probably missed that in the discussion.

Locked

Return to “Missing Hikers”


cron