Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Dschur » Nov 16 2010 2:04 pm

Hike Arizona urges anyone interested in searching to post or join an event.

If you go out, please track your hike on a GPS and post it for the benefit of future searches. Simply post it upon return. (if you need help ask the webmaster) Hike Arizona will see that it gets linked to a master map. If you have multiple variations in your group, please post all tracks. As more info is posted the map will evolve and the overlaps will be removed.

Searched Routes

Southern Ravines Map

Forecast Mormon Grove & Peeley

Crews looking for missing hiker
By Alexis Bechman

November 16, 2010
Tonto Rim Search and Rescue volunteers and Gila County Sheriff officers are currently searching for an overdue hiker.

The man, whose name has not been released, was last heard from nine days ago and is believed to be hiking near the Mt. Peeley trail or Sheep Mountain, off Forest Road 201, southwest of Payson.

The Gila County Sheriff’s Office first received a call that the man was overdue Monday, Nov. 15 about 9 p.m.

“The hiker has not been heard from since Nov. 7 and frequents the Mazatzal Mountain Wilderness area,” according to a press release from the sheriff’s office.

The missing hiker’s vehicle was located at the Mt. Peeley trailhead.

Six TRSAR volunteers are currently searching the ground. Earlier Tuesday, a Department of Public Safety Ranger helicopter did an aerial search of the area, but found no signs of the man
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals

Post by nonot » Nov 17 2010 10:06 pm

azdesertfather wrote:
nonot wrote:If possible, could one of the searchers who was out there today post the road conditions? Is the road suitable for a car, or would high clearance be needed? I made it out there once in my car but it was rough then before it received a good thrashing this last winter...
nonot, the 10-mile dirt road to Peeley is currently passable by car. When we did AZT segments 23 & 24 two weekends ago, Tortoise Hiker took his Ford Focus in there and though careful in spots was able to make it in.
Thank you very much!
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 17 2010 10:19 pm

How awful! If I had known this on Saturday, I would have skipped the trip I just finished. Good luck to the searchers and best wishes to GPS Joe and his family.

Grasshopper
Detailapelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 17 2010 11:25 pm

nonot wrote:The upper part of Deer Creek could be searched, it is a short trail, however this trail is faint and should only be attempted with a GPS and GPS track.
This search option would be a waste of time as Joe and I did this section on 11/1 as part of our published Davey Gowan Loop.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

sirdubious
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by sirdubious » Nov 18 2010 12:46 am

nonot, any replies to your request?? I might be available Fri thru Sunday. Let me know.

I have a high clearance Toyota Tacoma 4x4.

I have a GPS, and all other necessary gear.
"I'm just a happy camper! Rockin' and a-rollin'!" - Patrick Bateman 2000

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Nov 18 2010 6:31 am

Our thoughts and best wishes are out to Joe. How awful that something like this has happened to one of our members...:(
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

suzaz
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by suzaz » Nov 18 2010 6:41 am

I have offered to drop nonot late Friday with a pick up scheduled on Sunday if nothing else comes together. I know there is some discussion of folks getting together over on the ArizonaHikers site, where Joe also has many friends. I could be available Sunday. Hope you all can pull things together, I know he would be battling the brush for us.
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/view ... ed7#104927

On a little side note----I have become so much more diligent just this year with leaving info behind with someone when I head out. Would it be possible to build a place on this site with all the (county specific) contact info to include in info that is left for the emergency back up person. Or maybe a template that folks could use with drop down menus to fill out and then send off to a specific person of choice? Where you went, when you went, when you expect to return, when to call for help, vehicle info, who to call, family member contact stuff like that) It is always such a pain to find the correct phone numbers/after hours and such. It would actually be even sweeter if it was included in the data for each hike/climb/canyon...then we could just link to a hike in an email and the info would be there. Any thoughts on that?

snakemarks
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by snakemarks » Nov 18 2010 6:53 am

nonot wrote:I cannot get out there until Fri afternoon, Sat, or Sun to help search. Would anyone be willing to run me to/from the trailhead on any of those days?
I would, and I'm available any of those days. Happy to help, if I can.
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

snakemarks
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by snakemarks » Nov 18 2010 6:56 am

suzaz wrote:On a little side note----I have become so much more diligent just this year with leaving info behind with someone when I head out. Would it be possible to build a place on this site with all the (county specific) contact info to include in info that is left for the emergency back up person. Or maybe a template that folks could use with drop down menus to fill out and then send off to a specific person of choice? Where you went, when you went, when you expect to return, when to call for help, vehicle info, who to call, family member contact stuff like that) It is always such a pain to find the correct phone numbers/after hours and such. It would actually be even sweeter if it was included in the data for each hike/climb/canyon...then we could just link to a hike in an email and the info would be there. Any thoughts on that?
That's a great idea, Suz.
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

allanalxndr
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Nov 18 2010 7:12 am

Wow... My thoughts and prayers are with GPSJoe, his family, and friends.

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Post by BobP » Nov 18 2010 7:18 am

I've cancelled all my Friday plans and I'm gonna head out early Friday to Mt. Peely....if your interested in joining me pm me or reply here and i'll pm you my plans.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

suzaz
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by suzaz » Nov 18 2010 7:33 am

A specific sign up to help search for Joe has been started over on ArizonaHikers. Great folks and they would welcome the combined efforts and shared car camping area.
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8816

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 18 2010 8:23 am

If Joe hikes off trail like I do, it is not uncommon to head off up one drainage then switch to an entirely different route, on a whim... and to also head home by a much easier route that might be longer but on a trail... desired after too much bushwhacking. Ideally, all potentials are being exhausted... Really wish I were free and in the area to help out. God Bless everyone out there making the effort.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Nov 18 2010 8:27 am

Is it possible to rename this thread... reflecting it as Joe?
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Grasshopper
Detailapelli

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 18 2010 9:04 am

Update from the field as of this 11/18am:
From Chris (GPSjoe's son now at Peeley TH and command center):
"Hank, chopper here all day today and ground teams in focused on that last part of the hike from end section 1/3mile on Sheep Mtn ridge-line to Sheep Mtn summit and around circumference areas from Sheep Mtn summit and drainage areas below/around Sheep Mountain summit.

Also, it sounds like they are giving the crews a break tomorrow (Friday-11/19) as the resources will be burnt out' and as they need certain high level personnel for the effort. They said they will be back full force for the weekend.

If a volunteer group is coming Friday, we will be here. Ill likely come up no matter what."

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Nov 18 2010 9:11 am

Pertinent post off arizonahikers.com from sun hiker:
PostPosted: 11/17/2010, 8:12 pm
update:
Just got back from the base station. As of today SAR is calling of the night search, will however resume tomorrow one more time with added manpower to do another intense search between Peeley and Sheep Mountain which is the route Joe headed.

Although officially SAR has not said so, I gather they will wind down their effort by Friday since they exhausted all areas to look.

We did get off Joe's computer a track file that he created the weekend prior to his hike on Monday. Unfortunately this file is the same area SAR has been pounding for days now.

I cannot begin to express the feeling having to leave the area with out finding my hiking buddy.

I know we and SAR did everything possible and I hope Joe knows that.
Saturday I'm leaving to spend Thanksgiving with family but my heart and mind will be in the Matazal's
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Grasshopper
Detailapelli

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 18 2010 9:17 am

This 11/18am I'm going to post on HAZ on this forum thread to this reply which I will edit in, the HAZ link with additional comments for all interested in downloading and analyzing and using the current GPS tracks/waypoints that on 11/17 we transferred to the SAR teams to use for this 11/18 and ongoing search efforts. : http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=97

My pertinent comments apply as follows:

Here is the GPS tracks/waypoints files that SAR now has for use on 11/18 and after that we located 11/17 on Joe's home computer.

I really don't know what the probability of these drawn and actual field data tracks are related to what Joe actually tried to do on Mon-11/8, but our thoughts are that the green color track is a know 12/4/09 "in and out" hike to end within 1/3ml of Sheep Mtn Summit and we believe is the same ridge-line hike and track he did again in April'10**.. but we are not certain what was going through his mind for this 4th or 5th hike attempt on Mon-11/8. This track file with his waypoints noted are the best we could find on his computer to now help support the SAR teams and ongoing HAZ and AZH search efforts..

On some of the attached “drawn tracks”, I’m not sure if he planned to use these on his 11/8.

Also, the 3.7mile waypoint location is my guess at another possible location to exit the Mazatzal Divide TR23 for the off trail portion to gain the Chass 3 Sheep Mtn Ridgeline, but is not confirmed from anything I received or saw from reviewing gps track files on Joe’s home computer 11/17.

May the positive forces be with us all, be safe, bring two-way radios if you can, and without question, our GPSjoe- Joe Domin, his family, and personal friends much appreciate you!

Please note.. Comments EDIT above at 11/22/10: ** = On Sat-11/20pm, Joe's son did locate the official April'10 (11/27/10) Sheep Mtn Summit attempt by Joe, but after reviewing it and overlaying the actual hike track on the 12/4/09 known attempt, our above noted assumptions for the 12/4/09 and the 4/27/10 attempts seem to be confirmed as being the same primary hiking route taken. The only additions to his 4/27/10 hike planner routes listing was the fact that his ending point in was a little further than the 12/4, and he had added some reference tracks on this 4/27 planner to add an extension for the Mazatzal Divide TR23 and to add the same for the Cornucopia TR86 and Thicket Springs TR95. My assumptions being that he added these tracks as a "safety" for the possibility on 4/27 of having to "bailout" thus needed the additional reference points.. I do have this 4/27 track actual and planner available and it has been shared with some, but I did not want to clog-up HAZ posting with too many search-reference maps unless we find significant deviations which would change our present HAZ Home Page MAP now posted for reference and use by all.

Please note.. Comments EDIT above at 11/25/10: ** = The above referenced 4/27/10 actual hike track and the 11/5/10 extended (but not complete) actual hike track have now been added to this reference document; Also added were the safety reference routes: an extension to the Mazatzal Divide TR23 and the Cornucopia TR86 and Thicket Spring TR95;
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 26 2010 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BobP
Cairn Reaper

Post by BobP » Nov 18 2010 9:22 am

Good Idea Hank....I was just looking those over...thanks for sending them to me.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

rattlesnakewillie
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Heber

Post by rattlesnakewillie » Nov 18 2010 10:20 am

This is terrible, I want to help.
I can come down from Overgaard this afternoon however I don't want to hamper the efforts by clogging up the area. Having never been to the TH how is the parking situation?

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by chumley » Nov 18 2010 11:27 am

Just an added note of caution to anybody planning on joining the search this weekend. Keep an eye on the weather forecast as a pacific storm system is moving toward Arizona. For now it looks like it will result in breezy and cooler weather, with only a small chance of showers (10-30%). Snow level is expected to drop into the 7000-range. So if you're out there, be prepared for cool and wet weather, and the outside chance of an inch or two of snow across the highest peaks such as Peely and Sheep Mtn.
Highway to hell

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 18 2010 11:48 am

I am unable to join in the search at this time, but I have posted the info with links to HAZ and AZH on the two Meetup Groups Arizona Backpacking Club and Tucson Backpackers. There is a lot of crossover membership amongst all these groups.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Missing Hikers”