Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Dschur » Nov 16 2010 2:04 pm

Hike Arizona urges anyone interested in searching to post or join an event.

If you go out, please track your hike on a GPS and post it for the benefit of future searches. Simply post it upon return. (if you need help ask the webmaster) Hike Arizona will see that it gets linked to a master map. If you have multiple variations in your group, please post all tracks. As more info is posted the map will evolve and the overlaps will be removed.

Searched Routes

Southern Ravines Map

Forecast Mormon Grove & Peeley

Crews looking for missing hiker
By Alexis Bechman

November 16, 2010
Tonto Rim Search and Rescue volunteers and Gila County Sheriff officers are currently searching for an overdue hiker.

The man, whose name has not been released, was last heard from nine days ago and is believed to be hiking near the Mt. Peeley trail or Sheep Mountain, off Forest Road 201, southwest of Payson.

The Gila County Sheriff’s Office first received a call that the man was overdue Monday, Nov. 15 about 9 p.m.

“The hiker has not been heard from since Nov. 7 and frequents the Mazatzal Mountain Wilderness area,” according to a press release from the sheriff’s office.

The missing hiker’s vehicle was located at the Mt. Peeley trailhead.

Six TRSAR volunteers are currently searching the ground. Earlier Tuesday, a Department of Public Safety Ranger helicopter did an aerial search of the area, but found no signs of the man
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 27 2010 9:05 am

suzaz wrote:Brian had a faint signal from the campsite last night and sent me a message. I can contact them and they will get the message at some point. Just not sure what you info you want me to send them. (I've fallen behind on these posts while out searching). Let me know.
Susan- thanks for all the extra effort on trying to reach Letty's cell phone and all the territory you and all others covered out there searching yesterday;
Basically, we need someone to have last night or today down load this file into a GPS unit and take out there for today's and tomorrow's primary search efforts/areas--> http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=147 It this can't happen soon enough for Letty and all the others that are out there now, then at a minimum give her/them this TR23 key waypoint coordinate (N34.001651 W111.491856) for entering into one of the GPS units now out there and have them go to it (approx 2.5+mls up TR23, a little past the Ridgeline off trail point) and then off-trail from TR23 here to attempt to follow Joe's previous 11/5 route, but having the two above GPS routes loaded in their GPS to follow is really the only way they will be able to keep on track with possibly what Joe did for his second attempt on his last Mon-11/8.
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 27 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 27 2010 9:07 am

juliachaos wrote:Based on the time (a half hour of hiking), I'm going to guess that the location was actually only about one mile in. I've marked two areas (really, the only areas on the trail) where the terrain does drop down to the left: http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=140
I've gotta believe they meant on the left "as one is coming back to the trail head," and that the spot is where Joe B projected it.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

suzaz
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by suzaz » Nov 27 2010 9:18 am

juliachaos wrote:Based on the time (a half hour of hiking), I'm going to guess that the location was actually only about one mile in. I've marked two areas (really, the only areas on the trail) where the terrain does drop down to the left: http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=140
We kept an eye out in this area on the way up and then on our way back to the car. We searched anything that appeared it could have been walked on or like a possible shortcut.

Brian is asking if anyone is going up to the Mt. Peeley TH on Sunday that could give them a ride back to their cars?

Hank--I have copied and pasted your exact text from the above message to Brian through facebook (not sure why he can get that but it is working)--he is using an iphone with a topo app so I think he can put this altogether. This morning he said they were going to search the areas between ravines 2-4.

PS--I have contact info for Letty and just left her a message.
Last edited by suzaz on Nov 27 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

topohiker

Post by topohiker » Nov 27 2010 10:03 am

Grasshopper wrote:
topohiker wrote:Did GPS Joe have a bright yellow (non-breathable) rubber rain jacket? I took a pic and recorded the GPS poiunts. I'll upload them later.
Ken, thanks for the beta and please do post pic with waypoint and I'm pretty sure (Gabriele will hopefully see this and confirm or deny) he did not own nor do I think he would normally wear a bright yellow anything.
The waypoint is: N33 58.773 W111 31.752.

I hiked the Sheep Creek trail to the Sheep creek cabin, one mile into the Cooper creek and 6/10 of a mile down the story mine trail.
The only clue was the yellow rain jacket.
Attachments
IMG00193-20101126-1019.jpg
Found 6.19 miles from the Mormon Groove TH, on the Sheep Creek trail.
"Everywhere is walking distance...If you have the time"
-Stephen Wright

suzaz

Post by suzaz » Nov 27 2010 12:04 pm

http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?GPS=9732
Posted the track of what we searched yesterday from Jacob's GPS.

SUN_HIKER
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Post by SUN_HIKER » Nov 27 2010 12:25 pm

topohiker wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
topohiker wrote:Did GPS Joe have a bright yellow (non-breathable) rubber rain jacket? I took a pic and recorded the GPS poiunts. I'll upload them later.
Ken, thanks for the beta and please do post pic with waypoint and I'm pretty sure (Gabriele will hopefully see this and confirm or deny) he did not own nor do I think he would normally wear a bright yellow anything.
The waypoint is: N33 58.773 W111 31.752.

I hiked the Sheep Creek trail to the Sheep creek cabin, one mile into the Cooper creek and 6/10 of a mile down the story mine trail.
The only clue was the yellow rain jacket.
Unfortunately not one of Joe's :(
SUN HIKER

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 27 2010 12:30 pm

Susan's GPS Post below has just reminds me of how important posting both the summary narratives of your searches here on this main forum topic is as well as posting your GPS Search Route/Track IF you or someone in your search group has and knows how to run a active hike track and then post it on HAZ. Joe Bartels is trying to keep a master reference map on the Home Page of all our GPS Search Tracks for ongoing individual searcher reference. :thanx:

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 27 2010 12:51 pm

Sredfield wrote:
I've gotta believe they meant on the left "as one is coming back to the trail head," and that the spot is where Joe B projected it.
Could they mean ~2 miles in on the AZT down towards Thicket Spring? There is some drop off to the left in places along that route but not much.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

tkknc
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tkknc » Nov 27 2010 4:53 pm

sorry for the cross post from the backpack thread but,

I just got back, Nonot & Vaporman would like to know if anyone can give them a rideout from the Peeley trailhead Sunday afternoon (between 4 & 6 pm). If they can get a ride from the Peeley trailhead, they plan to search the area little longer and not head south to fr 25 (where there are parked). Vaporman can receive and send text messages from the campsite at thicket spring. If you can give Nonot and Vaporman a ride PM me, and I will send you Vaporman's phone # for a text.

Thanks Ken

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 27 2010 5:11 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Susan- thanks for all the extra effort on trying to reach Letty's cell phone and all the territory you and all others covered out there searching yesterday;
Basically, we need someone to have last night or today down load this file into a GPS unit and take out there for today's and tomorrow's primary search efforts/areas--> http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?QX=147 It this can't happen soon enough for Letty and all the others that are out there now, then at a minimum give her/them this TR23 key waypoint coordinate (N34.001651 W111.491856) for entering into one of the GPS units now out there and have them go to it (approx 2.5+mls up TR23, a little past the Ridgeline off trail point) and then off-trail from TR23 here to attempt to follow Joe's previous 11/5 route, but having the two above GPS routes loaded in their GPS to follow is really the only way they will be able to keep on track with possibly what Joe did for his second attempt on his last Mon-11/8.
David Bremson- Mountain Rescue:
Is it possible to allocate some of your professional resources to this area soon? We do now think this could be a most probable route taken by GPSjoe on Mon-11/8.
:thanx: for your further consideration.
Last edited by Grasshopper on Nov 27 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 27 2010 6:02 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Susan's 11/26/10 GPS Search Route Post has just reminded me of how important posting both the summary narratives of your searches here on this main forum topic is as well as posting your GPS Search Route/Track IF you or someone in your search group has and knows how to run a active hike track and then post it on HAZ. Joe Bartels is trying to keep a master reference map on the Home Page of all our GPS Search Tracks for ongoing individual searcher reference and now also important for Mountain Rescue reference and use.
I just received this PM request from Maricopa Mountain Rescue :
Hank,

Can you please develop a composite map of the areas/tracks/waypoints from the HAZ searches?

If it can be developed in Topo, that would be helpful.

Regards,

David Bremson, Operations Chief, WEMT
Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Mountain Rescue
Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association

To All:
I just wanted to again emphasize the importance of posting your ongoing search efforts "GPS Route/Tracks". These track posts are pretty much the only truly organized way that I via our update HAZ Home Page search area link (updated ongoing by Joe Bartels)--> http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?M ... ,9712,9722 am going to be able to provide David Bremson with our search area details per his above request to us.
:thanx: again for all your dedicated personal time and support. It is much appreciated!

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 27 2010 7:06 pm

Haven't checked my cell phone, Friday I hiked on Mazzy Divide trail until I found a deep left hand ravine, well past the indicated ridgeline accesses. I hiked down that, lots of animal sign and some water, brushy but doable. Intersected large ravine coming down backside of ridge. GPS indicated I was looking at Sheep mtn in almost north/south axis with a slight west inclination. checked some collateral drainages. Saw a helicopter near the ridgeline on the north side. Sheer rock face and very steep on north side. Came back sort of traversing out of drainage. No sign, did find a small seep that could be developed. I set a few waypoints but did not track myself. I left a pink ribbon that I wrote my time in and out and date, where I went off the trail.
Today I went up trail but cut over south face Peeley, got good views of southern drainages off 6910 and ridgeline. Very tough traversing in manzanita. I went up one drainage and came down another, and ended up at Thicket spring. I was tired at this point and went up the trail.
I would say to check ridgeline and look pretty hard at north side traverses.

Although upon reflection the rise before the drainage has some burnt sections that would make for easy access to start.

suzaz

Post by suzaz » Nov 27 2010 7:23 pm

I have been trying to get messages to Brian. Apparently they are being cut off so he's getting parts.(short texts) He has the GPS coordinates that Hank feels strongly about and knows to off trail it to Joe's 11/5 track. They had been hearing things today from the other 8-9 folks out there. I want you to know they have the info and have confirmed they will search that area tomorrow. Hopefully they have pieced it together. GPS coordinates go through but links are not. Anything else you have in coordinates that might help, let me know. They now have a confirmed ride :y: so they can search some more tomorrow. Thanks Trish :D
Last edited by suzaz on Nov 27 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 27 2010 7:35 pm

Just got back as well. We did a bit up between ravines 2 & 3 and that area is nasty. The brush gets thicker and taller the further you go. The side of Sheep Mtn facing this area also looks like a pretty nasty drop-off. It seems totally illogical that this would be a bailout route and I would put energies into other places. Also from this view, we got a better look at between 3 & 4 which from our angle seemed to have a promising line going right up the ridge. Nonot and Vaporman were working their way up this area today. These guys deserve medals. This stuff is thick and painful.

Also found a pretty nasty and unexpected drop-off between 2 & 3. I'm guessing these are all over so everyone please be careful. You can't see anything up there.

Also a new thought. Anyone searching west of Ravine 5 might try going off trail just west of 5 and entering the base of the ridgeline there before Thicket Springs Trail drops down. This may provide easier access and considerably less trouble while exploring this side of the ridgeline-- just a idea.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

no avatar
sam_hikes
City, State: Phoenix,AZ

Post by sam_hikes » Nov 27 2010 7:51 pm

Left peeley th at 715pm after 12hrs day up ridgeline before meeting vaporman on sheep mtn top. He took me back to thicket camp thru some insane terrain. He can comment further on Monday when they return.

No concrete clues.

Sorry.

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Nov 27 2010 7:55 pm

I'll run out to Peeley TH between 4 and 6 PM to pick up Brian and Steve....look for a Gold Xterra with AZHKR2 plates. I'll bring some substance too.

Hoping that FR 25 is OK for my 2WD Xterra.

Gave Ken my cell phone number to pass along. I have Verizon so it should be OK in that area.

Trish
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Nov 27 2010 7:58 pm

suzaz wrote:I have been trying to get messages to Brian. Apparently they are being cut off so he's getting parts.(short texts) He has the GPS coordinates that Hank feels strongly about and knows to off trail it to Joe's 11/5 track. They had been hearing things today from the other 8-9 folks out there. I want you to know they have the info and have confirmed they will search that area tomorrow. Hopefully they have pieced it together. GPS coordinates go through but links are not. Anything else you have in coordinates that might help, let me know. They now have a confirmed ride :y: so they can search some more tomorrow. Thanks Trish :D
Excellent news, without the downloaded tracks it will be tougher to follow GPSjoes possible, visible(via broken veg, etc..) route in and won't be able to follow planned route past that point, but still excellent news for search efforts manana.. wish we did have some metals for all efforts from all to date and ongoing!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Nov 27 2010 7:59 pm

Trishness wrote:I have Verizon so it should be OK in that area.
my AT&T connection was also pretty solid for a lot of that area.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

tibber

Post by tibber » Nov 27 2010 8:16 pm

Trishness wrote:I'll run out to Peeley TH between 4 and 6 PM to pick up Brian and Steve....look for a Gold Xterra with AZHKR2 plates. I'll bring some substance too.

Hoping that FR 25 is OK for my 2WD Xterra.

Gave Ken my cell phone number to pass along. I have Verizon so it should be OK in that area.

Trish
Tonto made it no problem (2WD Mazda Tribute).

Oh and :thanx:
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

airic
City, State: Cochise, AZ

Post by airic » Nov 27 2010 8:31 pm

@Tough_Boots
TB, I covered 5 top to bottom and adjacent ridges to 4b and 6 pretty heavy yesterday.. Brian also hit between 5 and 4b with Kenny I believe. We felt coming down in that area was very doable. Second and third passes definitely wouldn't hurt. Concur on 3 and 4 being promising as well.

Return to “Missing Hikers”