GPSjoe-Joe Domin (Shared Good Memories)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

GPSjoe-Joe Domin (Shared Good Memories)

Post by Grasshopper » Dec 27 2010 1:21 pm

As of this posting our search continues for "Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)" http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... f=2&t=5664 and our lasting tribute http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=168602 will always reside atop his Mazatzal Wilderness Mountain, AZ: "Sheep Mountain Peak 6996".

In tribute and memory to our long time active HAZ and AZH community member, GPSjoe - Joseph S. Domin I am initiating this forum thread in hopes that all will post their shared good memories of our GPSjoe http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=171258 :
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

Grasshopper

Re: GPSjoe-Joe Domin (Shared Good Memories)

Post by Grasshopper » Dec 27 2010 3:15 pm

My next to last hike on 10/28/10 with my Arizona and out of state travel-hiking partner and good friend GPSjoe was in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness on the "McFadden Horse Trail". It helps to have known Joe and his sometimes funny and dry sense of humor in order to fully appreciate the beauty of this below memory of him that I will always cherish and will always bring a smile to my face, but for those who did not know him very well, I knew our GPSjoe as a humble, private, quiet, reserved, caring-helpful person, and someone of often very few words, but a good friend and compatible hiking partner that I respected and learned from.

It was white tail deer hunting season in the Sierra Ancha Mountains this late October, 2010. Joe and I arrived at the remote Cienega Spring TH-TR145 parking area around 9:15am. As we were preoccupied with putting on our hiking gear in preparation for our hike start, a voice from within the woods came "hello there?-hello there?" Joe first looked up and around and then asked me if I had heard a voice. I had not heard anything.. then, out of no where this hunter appears in front of us in this hunting attire with rifle over shoulder. There was a pause in the action, then this hunter says "looks like you two might be taking a hike today?".. another pause while Joe looks at me and kind-of rolls his eyes, then clips on his GPS, looks at the hunter and simply says "Hiking - that's what we do!"
A very special moment for me with classic Joe at his best! :)

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Dec 27 2010 4:49 pm

Prior-to GPSjoe's commitment and enjoyment for day hiking was another long term commitment he had for ocean "scuba diving". In his hiking trip logs, Joe sometimes used the favorite phrase "the pool is open" which was a reference too when the boat is situated and the captain gives the ok to get ocean bound..
"pool's open!" ( http://hikearizona.com/TL.php?ID=51235 )
Last edited by Grasshopper on Jan 08 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
sam_hikes
City, State: Phoenix,AZ

Post by sam_hikes » Dec 27 2010 9:05 pm

I am really sorry but I never had the honor to hike with Joe but his vivid trip reports made it feel like I was almost there.
Last edited by sam_hikes on Jan 10 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SUN_HIKER
City, State: Phoenix & Overgaard, AZ

Post by SUN_HIKER » Dec 28 2010 7:26 am

I don't know where to begin. Over the 8 years we have hiked together there are just oodles of funny stories to tell while hiking, backpacking and car camping with Joe and oh yes even while driving behind Joe. We took separate cars when we went on long journeys, there is always too much junk to carry and it's also a good idea not having to rely on just one car in case there are mechanical issues popping up. I will post some events separately as I think of them. (Bear with me, English is my second language LOL)

Anyway, if you find a pair of hiking poles in several different mountain ranges, most likely they belong to Joe. About 4-5 years ago Joe needed surgery on his upper back and I got after him to start using hiking poles. At first he nixed the idea however after he tried them and started to see the benefit he began to like them. One initial problem though, it took Joe a while to 'bond' with his poles. We'd be taking a break or Joe would be utilizing a bush and about a couple of miles later we realized that he'd left the poles behind somewhere. He never wanted to go back to look for them. We laughed that Campmor must been wondering why he was ordering two sets at a time on a monthly basis.

Joe was always ready to look for new trails and adventures.
We miss you Joe!
SUN HIKER

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Dec 28 2010 11:39 am

I only got to do a hike or two with Joe, but had a few communications on different places and trip ideas and always enjoyed chatting with him at various AZH get togethers. He always inspired me because as a guy in my 20's always trying to find the next challenge or adventure I would have my eye on a hike, then no sooner than a week later it seemed Joe would have just finished that hike. That happened on more than one occasion, it awed and inspired me to get out more and I just hope I can continue hiking to his age.

The reverse was also true, I would finish a difficult hike and then a week it would seem he would do the same hike. I will have lived a full life if I can complete the Cactus to Clouds hike when I'm in my 60's. RIP Joe! You will be missed, wish I were not in Italy and could have helped out in the search.

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 01 2011 1:50 am

I unfortunately never got to meet Joe in person. I did, though, PM him a couple times for info and he was extremely gracious with information. I also used his tracks quite often-- especially this summer spending lots of time in the Mogollon Rim area. His resources on http://www.gpsjoe.net are great. Whenever I download a track for a hike I've never done before, if there's one on HAZ with his name on it-- that's the one I go for.

After thinking about the pickle I got myself into this past weekend http://www.hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=13662, I realized that I was only equipped to deal with it smartly and calmly because of Joe. Though I wish this knowledge had come from better circumstances, I've learned quite a bit through the search for Joe. Mapping the ravines, researching routes via GoogleEarth, and working through heavy off-trail terrain gave me some experience that I think played a big part in a situation that would have probably been a serious disaster for me a year ago. A year ago, I might have stayed a frigid night out in the wilderness with a very scared friend but this past weekend I knew I could get us out of that jam-- and DID. I am forever grateful for that. I hope there's something to be said for all of us young bucks that have learned from him and continue to learn from him.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

tibber

Post by tibber » Jan 01 2011 8:53 am

I never met Joe but felt like I did. I was going to have the opportunity to hike with Joe and Hank in Glacier National Park this summer. We had just formulated some arrangements the weekend before Joe's hike. I was so looking forward to spending time with them both in my old stomping grounds. It was going to be GREAT!
Also, when I was setting Scout up and learning how it worked, many folks that are good at GPS were trying to assist including Joe. What a loss this is. I always feel when you lose someone thru a tragedy, it's important to take something away from it. My brother had a friend who died in a car accident but would have lived if he had worn his seat belt. From that moment on, I put my seatbelt on.... long before it was the law.
And with GPS Joe, it enforces my belief to take advantage as much as possible of your opportunities to do things you might not get to do for whatever reason. Altho I didn't have any other opportunities to hike with GPSJoe, I was taking advantage of that opportunity this summer.
Once again, even though I never met Joe personally I will remember him fondly and smile.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray » Jan 01 2011 9:18 am

It's the time of year when I, like others, look back at last year and formalize what I what to do moving forward. While not having met or talked directly with Joe I've realized how close I've become with my blog friends on this site. Hearing of his disappearance really hit me hard. I was not myself on a trip out of town in a wilderness area without much smart phone reception when this was first reported. I just knew that when I got home there would be good news on the site about Joe. When that did not happen and a week had gone by I felt a great lose and it hit home that what happened to him could have happened to me. I'm 13 months out from heart surgery from a cardiac event that happened 6 miles from the trail head in a remote area. I was lucky but over time I tend to down play that fact. I have to remind myself how lucky we are to be able to do what we love so much. My heart goes out to those of you who actually knew him and to his family. It's a tragedy and not being able to find him just makes it worse. I take some comfort in the fact that Joe was doing what he loved to do.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Jan 04 2011 9:24 pm

I first met Joe on November 26, 2004 when I was hiking from FW TH to Canyon Lake and saw two people coming the opposite way...one of them was Gabrielle. I recognized her immediately since we had hiked to Battleship Mountain together in 2003. She has the same hat I do and I also recognized her hiking stance. Joe and Gabrielle had hiked that day from FW to Canyon Lake and were heading back again (all 15 miles) preparing for a big hike in the Grand Canyon...I think. Anyway, I met them on the trail and was waving to them as we approached and hugs were all around. I was introduced to Joe. He was very cordial and said " I've seen your posts and it's nice to meet you". We all exchanged some banter and went on our merry ways. I met up with him on numerous social occasions from other hiking website get-togethers and it was always pleasant. When our resident trail puppy (Harley) passed away, Gabrielle and Joe met me for lunch in Tempe to sign the scrapbook. Joe never said much but when he did you knew it was important.

My heart goes out to Joe's family and know that I pray every night that he is found.

Peace,

Trish
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

MEWhiteman

Post by MEWhiteman » Jan 08 2011 5:30 pm

I was shocked to hear GPSJoe was missing when it was posted on this website back in November. I met Joe last year when he and Hank invited me on one of their hikes - the famous 5/28/10 Reyolds Creek Trail trip. In addition, we hiked together another time in Prescott and a number of times during Hank's Campouts. Joe was a wealth of knowledge on GPS devices and Arizona trails and was always willing to share. I utilized is tracks and hike descriptions on HikeAZ before I even met him. He is missed.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 17 2011 5:13 pm

For GPSjoe- Joe Domin family and friends:
We have just recently added a new HAZ Culture Label titled "Summit Register Log" (link located here--> http://www.hikearizona.com/dexcoder.php?dex=4&PID=413 ) for all picture association for HAZ members who have previously logged-in on a "Summit Register Log". Joe Domin's log-in's (as we locate them ongoing) will be included here for your personal viewing.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 17 2011 6:13 pm

I have a good memory of Joe, although I never met him. On AZH private messages he answered lots of GPS questions I had, and was very helpful. I have saved those messages and have referred to them off and on over the past several years.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jan 29 2011 12:02 pm

Copied from:
alpinist wrote: Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Postby alpinist » Jan 29 2011 11:09 am
First post - Brad from Flagstaff. Sad day for me. I own a hiking company and come on here occasionally for all the great info. Perusing the forum this morning I learned that Joe went missing last November. I traveled with Joe and two others almost two years ago to Coyote Gulch and Calf Creek Falls in Utah. We spent 4 glorious spring days in the canyons and had a great trip, in no small part due to Joe. He was quirky, kind, and full of passion for all that he saw. I miss you Joe, and my prayers will be with your family. RIP amigo!

BobP

Post by BobP » Feb 07 2011 9:38 am

I never had the pleasure of meeting Joe in person but I had read his triplogs and forum posts. You can usually tell a lot about a person from the way others spoke of them. After he went missing, I read a post on another site and saw the pictures of his new born granddaugher. You can tell how much he loved his family and how proud he was of them. We miss you Joe.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

hikngrl
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hikngrl » May 11 2011 8:03 pm

Just found this thread and wanted to add that I was lucky enough to hike several hikes with Joe and Gabriella. I remember watching Joe hike and thinking for certain he was going to land on his face from time to time. He had a style like no other. Despite that haphazard style I never saw him fall. I also remember watching him hike across Skull Mountain with his two GPSs strapped to his shoulder straps and still get misplaced! That was in the early days. Joe and Gabriella soon "out grew" me and my abilities despite the fact that he had, let's say ,"several years on me" and went on to bigger and better things. Time and schedule constraints made it impossible for me to keep up with Joe but I continued to follow his hikes and enjoy his photos. I still find it hard to believe he is gone but am thankful I had the chance to get to know him. So long my friend.
~~~Diane~~~

Return to “Missing Hikers”