Missing hiker Ron Kirk (Red Rock NCA)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Missing hiker Ron Kirk (Red Rock NCA)

Post by autumnstars » Jan 25 2012 2:06 pm

Searches are underway to find Ron Kirk, who was last heard from on January 17th.
Family members report recieving a text message from Ron on Jan 17th, stating that he planned to go hiking at Red Rock Canyon NCA.
He has not been seen or heard from since.
His vehicle was found on Jan 20th parked in the Calico Basin parking area, which provides access to many of the sandstone areas in Red Rocks.
Speaking with a friend of his, Ron is a prepared and competent hiker and a nimble scrambler. Day hikes of 20+ miles are something he relished, and did frequently.

Metro Police conducted a helicopter recon on Monday and Tuesday, but have suspended that effort.
On-the-ground searches continue, mainly composed of volunteers.
There are tons of crevices and caves in the area that an experienced hiker might seek shelter in if injured.

I plan to help with search efforts this weekend, and will post more meet-up details if anyone else is interested and close enough to help out.

See http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/16590106 ... t-red-rock
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Re: Missing hiker Ron Kirk (Red Rock NCA)

Post by kingsnake » Jan 25 2012 3:04 pm

"Metro wants to remind everyone to never hike alone". Guilty as charged. But I do file a "flight plan" with my wife before I go. (I actually hand her a personal copy of my GPS route overlayed on a topo, thanx to HAZ.) They also mentioned comparing paper maps ... maybe doing like HAZ has done for GPSJoe would be a good idea, overlaying GPS routes to clear different areas?
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

autumnstars

Post by autumnstars » Jan 25 2012 6:28 pm

Good thoughts. I think the searching has been quite disorganized up to this point, which hasn't really helped anything. My husband was talking to one of the ladies who went today, and it sounds like they are finally starting to make a solid plan for keeping track of which areas have been searched.

This is all the more distressing, as it is someone we know, and who my husband has gone running with numerous times.

I, too, hike alone frequently. However, Ron was not expected to check back in with anyone and also had not left a route with anyone of where he would be going. His sister is arriving tomorrow, and they will be able to get into his vehicle and see if he left any clues.

autumnstars

Post by autumnstars » Feb 07 2012 10:18 pm

The organized search continues...

Saturday, February 11, 2012
7:00am until ?

We are working a new lead... We will need 25 to 50 to be dropped at the fence in Brownstone... more details to follow.. You must commit to the DAY...

The command post will be at the Brownstone fence... I will use my Durango as the CP... I will bring extra water only... Be sure to pack a lunch etc in your packs... Bring hiking sticks...

See public event at http://www.facebook.com/events/365368080159877/ for more.

autumnstars

Post by autumnstars » Mar 16 2012 6:35 pm

Ron Kirk's body has been found and positively ID'ed.
At least one group of searchers had searched the area where he was found, but failed to spot him.
A hiker found the body by chance while hiking in the Turtlehead Peak area.

If there is any consolation to be gained, the police have tentatively determined that Ron died instantly as the result of a fall off a high cliff. His body was found just below the cliff base.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/body-found-at- ... 46015.html

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 17 2012 12:19 pm

@autumnstars
I am very sorry to hear about that, I know he was a friend of yours too. Another experienced hiker gone, it's very sad. I am glad they were able to find him though, it offers final closure to the family which can be so important.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Missing Hikers”