Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Cultjam
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Missing Supes Hiker April 15

Post by Cultjam » Apr 16 2013 2:51 pm

34 year old white male did not show up for his ride back from hiking alone yesterday at 5 PM. His brother posted on Reddit, link to the thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/phoenix/comment ... e_find_my/

no avatar
----
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: Missing Supes Hiker April 15

Post by ---- » Apr 16 2013 5:14 pm

@Cultjam
Anyone know if this guy is still missing and how to get an update from SAR? I'm already planning on a Supes hike tomorrow. If he's still missing, why not in that area?
Following one of the comments on that link saying he started at point A and headed across a field and straight, it's possible he attempted to go up Spirit or Monument Canyon, and if so without experience could have gotten himself into some trouble. Van and I just went up Monument last Friday, and it's rough.

Cultjam
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Cultjam » Apr 17 2013 8:04 am

Last update was from the wife 9 hours ago:

Thank you to everyone helping look for my husband, chris. As of right now, they have a s&r dog out looking, a rider on horseback and about 14 people on foot. They are trying to get a s&r team on top and they plan on working through the night. Chris walked 3.5 miles to the mountain and told me he was not taking any trails. As much as I want him home with his family, please don't attemp to climb if you aren't experienced. 2 s&r volunteers already got hurt and I don't want anyone else hurt. I know chris has the following items on him...a lighter, mace, his HTC phone (battery is dead), a dull hunting knife, a cannon cool pix camera and he was wearing black gym shorts with a thick red stripe down each side of the legs and black dc shoes. I believe he was wearing a baseball hat as well. He is 5'8 and 120 lbs. He doesn't have a shirt on (he took it off during his walk to the mountain and lost it on the way) but he has a dragon tattoo on his bicep, 2 chinese symbols on his stomach and a harley symbol with CMH on his upper back near his neck. He does have some medical issues, asthma being one, so if you see him, please call 911. I just want him home safe and sound. Again, thank you for your help, thoughts and prayers!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Apr 17 2013 12:53 pm

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Apr 19 2013 1:33 pm

Search-and-rescue team finds body in Superstition Mountains

http://www.azcentral.com/community/pina ... -abrk.html
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 19 2013 4:29 pm

Oh, that's very sad. My condolences to the family. That is just very tragic.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Trishness
HAZopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Apr 19 2013 8:32 pm

This is very sad. Some of those canyons south of Siphon Draw are pretty rugged. My heart goes out to Chris' friends and family.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Return to “Missing Hikers”