Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
jonathanpatt
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Laurence Kosden, 69, missing in Chiricahua Mountains

Post by jonathanpatt » Oct 11 2015 3:03 pm

Last seen September 14 and reported missing September 17. His vehicle was found at Rustler Park with a parking pass good for September 14 and 15. The last person to see him was a woman also camping there who reported seeing him hiking with his cat on nearby trails. There have been no updates since September 25.

http://tucson.com/news/blogs/police-bea ... cf03d.html
http://www.kvoa.com/story/30082179/coch ... ear-portal
http://www.willcoxrangenews.com/news/ar ... ee3e5.html

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Re: Laurence Kosden, 69, missing in Chiricahua Mountains

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 12 2015 7:01 am

Odd there have been no updates.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Oct 12 2015 9:44 am

2nd Person missing from that Area that has not been Found....

viewtopic.php?p=112547#p112547
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Cheerycow
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Cheerycow » Oct 12 2015 10:50 am

Both cases are still unsolved, right? Very sad. I hope that both are found. It must be terribly tough on the families.
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

jonathanpatt
Junior Kokopelli

Post by jonathanpatt » Oct 12 2015 11:34 am

Correct, both remain unsolved. Last I read about Ms. Castrejon, the Sheriff's Department was treating it as if she had been taken from the area by vehicle rather than simply being lost. They did extensive searching in the Rustler Park area and found nothing, and she disappeared within a several minute time window while on the main Rustler Park road near the restrooms by the pay station.

To have one individual disappear from there in such a mysterious manner was quite odd, but two in the same summer is quite bizarre (though probably coincidental). The Chiricahuas are also, of course, where Chiricahua National Monument Park Ranger Paul Fugate disappeared while on patrol in 1980 and was never seen again. http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... aul-fugate

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli

Post by rwstorm » Oct 12 2015 11:47 am

Very strange indeed.

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JasonCleghorn » Oct 13 2015 8:49 am

I can't recall the source but someone wrote a book about all the Missing Persons in National Parks, etc. It's something that has been un-emphasized by the feds for obvious reasons, but in the past 50 years, perhaps thousands of people have gone missing from them.

I hate to say this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least of some/many of these disappearances are related to serial killers, etc.
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 13 2015 9:23 am

Jason Cleghorn wrote:I hate to say this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least of some/many of these disappearances are related to serial killers, etc.
As long as we're pulling theories out of thin air with absolutely no evidence to support them, shouldn't we also consider the chupacabra?
3-minute master!

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Oct 13 2015 9:50 am

chumley wrote:shouldn't we also consider the chupacabra?
I'd personally like to see a resurgence of the mogollon monster.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Oct 13 2015 11:02 am

IF there was Foul Play involved and IF the two Cases are Related, I would be more inclined to think that in that Area, it would be the Work of Drug Smugglers. Two Years ago, a National Park Service Ranger was severely beaten and left for Dead in a Restroom in the Monument Area..... http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08 ... -corridor/

But without any Clues or other Information, it could all certainly be just a Coincidence and not related at all....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

JasonCleghorn
Auburnopelli

Post by JasonCleghorn » Oct 13 2015 11:08 am

chumley wrote:
Jason Cleghorn wrote:I hate to say this, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least of some/many of these disappearances are related to serial killers, etc.
As long as we're pulling theories out of thin air with absolutely no evidence to support them, shouldn't we also consider the chupacabra?
Great comparison. :roll:
Follow me on Instagram: hikingjason
"It's not the mountains that we conquer, but ourselves"
"HAZ is not a meet-up group. Unless you're in the IN group, then its a meet-up group"

Cheerycow
Junior Kokopelli

Post by Cheerycow » Oct 14 2015 9:21 am

Remember the good old days when we only worried about bears, mosquitoes and poison ivy in the Chiricahuas? Now its drug runners, serial killers, and mythical beasts. Sheesh. The last time I was there the 6 or 7 border patrol guys I encountered seemed MUCH more nervous than me.

Of course, the idiots firing semi-automatic guns right on the 4x4 road up to Long Park had me concerned a few years ago. But all of this will not stop me from going to my favorite place. (Of course, the 15 years in New York City means I have a high tolerance for random violence.)
"In the woods, too, a man casts off his years, as the snake his slough, and at what period soever of life, is always a child...in this wood, we return to reason and faith." R.W. Emerson

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli

Post by rwstorm » Oct 14 2015 9:44 am

I share Cherrycow's sentiments of the Chiricahuas. I didn't have any sense of possible trouble the two times I camped at Rustler Park this summer, or the time I camped along West Turkey Creek.

jonathanpatt
Junior Kokopelli

Post by jonathanpatt » Oct 14 2015 11:19 am

I've hiked nearly weekly in the Chiricahuas for the past 3+ years and have only had two to three encounters with drug smugglers, each of which involved them rapidly getting out of our way and disappearing off the trail. They generally pose no threat to hikers, in my experience, and they generally see or hear you coming before you see them and get off trail before you even know they're there.

After the killing of the rancher Robert Krentz in 2010, the smugglers have seemed to really back off and become a lot less bold, with rumors that the cartels told them to back off from any sort of behavior against the public which might negatively impact their business. Prior to his murder they were regularly breaking into houses along the east side of the Chiricahuas, at almost a daily interval, and that stopped almost completely after (with a few exceptions). It makes sense that they don't want investigations bringing a lot of scrutiny on them and their preferred smuggling routes. Personally, I think a lot of things get blamed on them that they may have nothing to do with. (Not to suggest that they are or what they do is good in any way.) As Krentz's murder is still unsolved, it's unclear whether he even was killed by a drug smuggler.

Cheerycow
Junior Kokopelli

Post by Cheerycow » Apr 27 2016 11:46 am

Has there been any new information on either disappearance?

Recently, a new friend urged me to read David Paulides' three books ("Missing 411") on missing people in National Parks (JasonCleghorn referred to the author a few posts above). I have not purchased them yet but think I might try the first one.

Return to “Missing Hikers”