Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
MarcyBeta
City, State: Cicero

Missing Hiker - Diana Zacarias

Post by MarcyBeta » Apr 04 2016 1:25 pm

Monday April 4th
If you're hiking in the grand canyon area, please be on the look out for Diana Zacarias, she missed her flight and we have not had any contact with her since. She is female about 5'5 brown short hair, skinny. her phone might be dead so may need assistance.
dianaz.jpg

Wednesday April 6th
Grand Canyon News Release
Release date: Immediate

Contact(s): Kirby-Lynn Shedlowski

Phone number(s): (928) 638-7958

Date: April 6, 2016

Missing Woman at South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park

Grand Canyon, Ariz. – On Sunday, April 3 the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a phone call reporting a missing individual last known to be at the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park.

Diana Zacarias, of Natchitoches, LA, was reported missing by a family member. Zacarias arrived on the South Rim via the Arizona Shuttle on April 2 and was dropped off at the Maswick Lodge. She is believed to have visited Yaki Point and Lookout Studio. Zacarias is described as 22 years old, 5’2, 104 pounds with short black hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink hat, purple fleece, black rimmed glasses and possibly carrying a small green backpack.

The National Park Service is currently conducting a Search and Rescue operation. A missing persons investigation is on-going. No further information is available at this time. Any individual with information on the location of Diane Zacarias should contact the National Park Service Silent Witness Line at 928-638-7840.

-NPS-
Public Affairs Office
Grand Canyon National Park

MarcyBeta

Re: Missing Hiker - Diana Zacarias

Post by MarcyBeta » Apr 06 2016 10:25 am

No updates yet. We have looked into the shuttle buses and gotten the number to be able to call ourselves. If you guys can please share poster. We our out of state which makes it harder for us. Thank you

MarcyBeta

Post by MarcyBeta » Apr 06 2016 10:28 am

Please share

MarcyBeta

Post by MarcyBeta » Apr 06 2016 12:07 pm

@joebartels
Hermit trail from 10 am to 2pm is the time frame we have so far

John9L
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by John9L » Apr 06 2016 1:02 pm

@MarcyBeta
Claire & I were on the Hermit Trail this weekend and did not see Diana. We hiked in on the Hermit Trail on Saturday, April 2nd starting around 10am. We camped in Monument Creek and hiked out the Hermit Trail on Sunday, April 3rd starting at 7:45am. We were back on the rim at Hermits Rest around 1pm. I talked to Claire and neither of us saw Diana.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I hope you find her soon.

John

nikorock28
City, State: Kingman, AZ

Post by nikorock28 » Apr 06 2016 2:51 pm

Grand Canyon News Release
Release date: Immediate

Contact(s): Kirby-Lynn Shedlowski

Phone number(s): (928) 638-7958

Date: April 6, 2016

Missing Woman at South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park

Grand Canyon, Ariz. – On Sunday, April 3 the Grand Canyon Regional Communications Center received a phone call reporting a missing individual last known to be at the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park.

Diana Zacarias, of Natchitoches, LA, was reported missing by a family member. Zacarias arrived on the South Rim via the Arizona Shuttle on April 2 and was dropped off at the Maswick Lodge. She is believed to have visited Yaki Point and Lookout Studio. Zacarias is described as 22 years old, 5’2, 104 pounds with short black hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink hat, purple fleece, black rimmed glasses and possibly carrying a small green backpack.

The National Park Service is currently conducting a Search and Rescue operation. A missing persons investigation is on-going. No further information is available at this time. Any individual with information on the location of Diane Zacarias should contact the National Park Service Silent Witness Line at 928-638-7840.

-NPS-
Public Affairs Office
Grand Canyon National Park

jonathanpatt
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Apr 06 2016 2:56 pm

I'm so confused.
nikorock28 wrote:Diana Zacarias, of Natchitoches, LA, was reported missing by a family member. Zacarias arrived on the South Rim via the Arizona Shuttle on April 2 and was dropped off at the Maswick Lodge.
sirena wrote:Diana sat behind me on the 6:15pm Arizona Shuttle from Maswik Lodge at Grand Canyon to Flagstaff on Friday, April 1st. She got dropped off at the Amtrak station.

MarcyBeta

Post by MarcyBeta » Apr 06 2016 3:45 pm

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-northe ... and-canyon

I know we are getting confused with what Sierna said that is just a tip that's helped us get this far. Any Info is appreciated we are gathering everything and making sense of things. Please continue to share

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Apr 06 2016 4:40 pm

if the shuttle thing is true, seems like the flagstaff police department should be contacted

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 06 2016 7:39 pm

@trekkin_gecko
Yes, I agree.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Apr 06 2016 8:05 pm

I am the last person to put much stock in our illustrious news outlets, but in all the articles I have read it seems she arrived to GCNP via Az. Shuttle on the 2nd, Saturday.
Yeah - it seems weird that someone seen by a bona-fide witness would round-trip to/from Flag on Az. Shuttle within a day - but it IS plausible, remote, yes considering she was dropped at Amtrak, but plausible.
GCNP corroborates the date(s) in the articles > https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/mis ... carias.htm
kurt

MarcyBeta

Post by MarcyBeta » Apr 07 2016 6:59 am

Official NPS release via FB

like and share
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-04-07-08-55-55.png
Yes we have gathered info. You can read it all on the FB site. NPS photo please share

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 07 2016 9:32 am

Glad to see ISB is on the case.
Where is the "dislike" button?

no avatar
TonyCash
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by TonyCash » Apr 09 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Marcy,

I emailed with Sirena this morning, and she says that it is clear that Diana was in the park on April 1, traveled by shuttle to Flagstaff that evening, and returned to the park on April 2. She has been in contact with the National Park Service.

I will be at the Grand Canyon NP on Monday, April 11. I have hiked there many times. I would like to help in any way possible. Is there anyone at the park coordinating a volunteer search or a base of operations for meetings and/or information?

I, like many others here in Arizona, am following this story closely.

Feel free to contact me directly.

Tony Cash
tonycashmail@yahoo.com

MarcyBeta

Post by MarcyBeta » Apr 11 2016 12:04 pm

@TonyCash
Not sure if there have been volunteer search party as of now. If you will be in the canyon I would ask. I would say forming a group search would be very helpful but don't want to say anything for maybe NPS approval is needed.

no avatar
TonyCash
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by TonyCash » Apr 12 2016 4:30 pm

I was at the Grand Canyon on April 11, 2016. Before hiking the Hermit Trail, I spoke with a Park Ranger. Through cell phone tracing they know that Diana was at the park on April 2. They are aware of information that Diana spoke to a friend about her intention to hike the Hermit Trail. But no one knows for sure what she actually did that day. The Park Service has used helicopters and "mountaineering teams" to search the park. Some extra focus has been placed on the Hermit Trail.
At the Hermit Trail trail head there were at least 6 flyers posted with Diana's picture and information.
I searched along the Hermit Trail 4 miles to Lookout Point from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Not hiking; actively searching every nook and cranny I could get to. Using binoculars when I had a vantage view of the area below the trail.
Once away from the trail head area, I encountered 13 serious hikers on the trail. All of them were aware that Diana was missing.
It is clear that the Park Service and hikers are doing the best that they can do.
I can't imagine the terror that this family is dealing with. I only hope that they know that hundreds of people are thinking of them and doing what they can to help.

Tony Cash
tonycashmail@yahoo.com

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 12 2016 5:17 pm

This really is heart breaking.

I wonder if the cell phone information confirms that she was there, or just that her cell phone was there. If she lost it maybe that would explain the quick trip to Flagstaff.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 15 2016 3:20 pm

There has been no recent news that I can find via doing an online search. Anyone hear of any updates?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

LansfordHastings

Post by LansfordHastings » Apr 15 2016 3:38 pm

I have a tentative hike on Sunday 4/17 to go down the Hermit Trail, thence out to Dripping Springs with a possibility of continuing on to the Dripping Springs trail head (zone SC9) and then either loop around the forest roads to come out at the Abyss shuttle stop or possibly go back down via the Waldron Trail and exit the Hermit. I was there on Tuesday 4/12 and did see a number of posters along the Hermit Road at the various shuttle stops. I will keep on the lookout for anything.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Apr 15 2016 4:24 pm

Kirby - GRCA's PIO - said this morning that search is limited but ongoing.
In other words, the active search is done but they are still keeping their eyes out for her.
Where is the "dislike" button?

LansfordHastings

Post by LansfordHastings » Apr 19 2016 6:29 pm

On Monday, I hiked down Hermit, Boucher, out to Dripping Springs, then exited via the Dripping Springs trail (old Silver Bell) to Eremita Mesa, then followed the forest roads back to the Abyss on Hermit Road. Saw no signs of Diana (clothing, hat, backpack, etc) on my route. The missing person posters are still in evidence at Hermit Rest and I saw one at Maswik Lodge as well.

Return to “Missing Hikers”