Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

2010 May Issue - Arizona Highways

Post by joebartels » May 09 2010 3:59 pm

I like Suzanne Marthia's photo on page 24. I think it presents a good case that light is more powerful than something such as a huge waterfall.

As to the back cover, seemed a little lame...
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Re: 2010 May Issue - Arizona Highways

Post by JoelHazelton » May 16 2010 1:14 pm

Been meaning to respond to this but I kept forgetting to check my May AZ Highways...

I agree, that is a great photo on pg 24... She has a great eye to have seen those reflections. I enjoy how the red walls on the upper left corner balance the reflection at the lower right. Still, however, that 50/50 composition does seem to throw it off ever so slightly to me. The small cascade in the center splits the composition in half, and with my eye falling to the middle so quickly, I didn't have a really easy time exploring all the other elements of the photo. With a composition completely focused on the canyon floor, not including the walls, all the main elements would have been placed perfectly in thirds and allowed for what I think would be a more dynamic comp. And, although subconscious, the viewer would still have the feeling of being deep in a narrow canyon, as would be implied by the bright reflections in the water of high canyon walls.

Anyhow, that's not to say it's a bad photo by any means... It's a great shot. It's just interesting to critique.

I like the shot on the back cover. It's not his strongest work, but I thoroughly enjoy Dykinga's more subtle images. Imagine that shot without those few, small diagonal twigs in the midground... I think it would have been a really static composition without those. That's what I think is so fascinating about some of his work... His ability to utilize such minor details to bring a relatively uninteresting scene to life.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

joebartels
teva joe

Re: 2010 May Issue - Arizona Highways

Post by joebartels » May 16 2010 11:53 pm

Interesting, I'll have to check 'em out again :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Magazine”