Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Redflex Corruption

Post by Jim_H » Nov 29 2009 12:53 pm

I got a ticket in the mail yesterday. Here is the "evidence" against me. If I were doing 79 in the 65 as claimed, I would have been in the trunk of the car in front of me. I am car #2 behind the truck. A car from Colorado is passing me, and he may have been going 79, but I don't know. If he was, it looks like I got his ticket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3NTQrE12k

AZDPS and Redflex are clearly lying about the quality control they claim to do, and they have no problems sending a ticket to an innocent victim to help tighten the budget problem and fatten the corporate profits. If they looked at the videos as they claim to do, I never would have gotten this.

Something tells me I am not the first person to whom this has happened. Is anyone interested in starting a class action lawsuit against a company which gathers evidence for the state without a private investigators license, and has profit as its motive behind "law enforcement"?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Redflex Corruption

Post by big_load » Jan 09 2018 9:13 pm

Jim_H wrote:Can we find another way to bilk citizens out of their money?
In NJ, fining drunk school bus drivers is probably more lucrative. Oddly enough, an unmarked police car has been staking out the school bus stop behind my house for a little while every morning. I'm not sure what he expects to find, but he'd be up against a tight-knit mob of suburban parents if he tried to ticket anyone.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 10 2018 6:49 am

I agree there isn't enough revenue in it to justify paying some outside company to provide the 'technology & equipment'.

That said, concerning this:
big_load wrote:I can't think of a traffic regulation that seems more universally respected than that regarding a stopped school bus.
From personal experience I'm not so sure it is that respected. Whether it was 40 years ago when I drove school bus for 2 years or currently in the East Valley, I see plenty of drivers blowing right by. But I bet parents are more likely to respect it than those without children.

Of course nowadays it's more likely drivers are on their phone texting and don't even see the school bus rather than seeing it and ignoring the flashing lights & stop sign. However, for a good % of drivers it's just as likely they don't even know the law... even folks who obey the law don't understand whether to stop or not depending on width of street or if there is a median or not, etc.

On the other side of it... locally I see some poor/erratic driving by school bus drivers on a pretty regular basis. And yes, on a few blatant occasions I HAVE contacted the bus company, but in reality for those times I should have contacted local authorities... If I still had young kids I definitely wouldn't want those drivers still on the road.
:M2C:
CannondaleKid

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jan 10 2018 8:11 am

big_load wrote:
Jan 09 2018 6:08 pm
.......... There just aren't enough violators for it to be a revenue opportunity*.
* Except for those on-the-take :- ) .... https://i.pinimg.com/736x/69/b6/05/69b6 ... -faces.jpg

"Whenever you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on the support of Paul".
kurt

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 10 2018 12:29 pm

@CannondaleKid
I drove for 7 years: Tucson, Springerville, Flag. I sometimes wrote down license plate numbers and sent them to ADOT, who would send the driver a letter, no citation.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Jan 18 2018 8:08 pm

@azbackpackr
My wife got a letter a few years ago - she was unhappy, I more so. It was an interesting conversation for sure!!!

I agree that with the DING DONG cell phone people are WAY more inclined to be doing the distracted driving now so yeah a cam on a bus I can see it making some $$$ but not enuf to justify those corrupt peeps.....
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 19 2018 5:12 am

@KwaiChang
It could make the bus driver happy, that the person running her stop arm is going to get caught, but it's not going to justify the expense. You can drive a whole year and not have it happen to you. Some places on my routes were worse than others. Northwest Tucson had a lot of scofflaws with fancy cars. (Dang California transplants!) One reason I quit wanting to drive is that in many districts the buses are now equipped with cameras videoing both the driver and the kids. I dislike being spied on by management. I am going to drive a retrofitted school bus next season, full of happy river trip passengers! Looking forward to that!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Mar 05 2018 12:35 pm

Gotta like the mask (kinda kismet-like) .... [ youtube video ]
kurt

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » May 22 2018 11:16 am

The city council in Denton, Texas urged city staff to test the effect of an extra second of yellow warning time for the traffic signal at the corner of West Oak Street and North Carroll Boulevard. The experiment took place in April, and it took no time for the results to become obvious -- a 62 percent reduction in red light violations.
Of course the Chief of Police dismissed the decrease as an anomaly. Why, you might ask? Well... With 33,712 photo tickets generated in Denton last year, a 62 percent cut in the violation rate would reduce the program's potential annual profit by $1,567,608. That, in turn, would cut into the pocketbooks of several members of the police force. As investigative reporters at the Denton Record Chronicle newspaper discovered, assistant police chief Scott Fletcher personally took home $135,587 from overtime he claimed while "reviewing" red light camera tickets -- money earned? on top of his regular salary. The red light camera program also added $62,555 to the pay of police Lieutenant David Hildebrand and $44,751 to the salary of Sergeant Daryn Briggs. (Anyone else find this obscene?) A study by the Texas Transportation Institute explained that the majority of straight-through red light violations happen when a driver misjudges the end of the yellow light by less than 0.25 seconds ( view chart http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/pix/violationchart.gif).
The TTI study found longer yellows also reduced accidents. But as can clearly see, reducing accidents is not the goal, overtime pay IS.

Whenever you are robbing Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on the support of Paul.
Last edited by hikeaz on May 22 2018 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
kurt

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Aug 29 2018 11:27 am

School bus cameras fueled the luxurious lifestyle of the top executive at Force Multiplier Solutions for years. On Monday, US District Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn issued a forfeiture order forcing Robert Carl Leonard Jr to give up the trappings of wealth he accumulated with an automated system for ticketing motorists driving near school buses.

Leonard will lose title to a 2008 Bentley Continental GT, a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and $738,167 in cash stored in various bank accounts. Agents had already seized seven neo-Expressionist paintings by artist David Harouni earlier this year along with an assortment of diamonds and jewelry.
He gave a total of $3 million in bribes to Dallas County Schools superintendent Ricky Dale Sorrells, who admitted his guilt in April. Dallas city councilman Dwaine Caraway conceded that he took $450,000 in bribes to promote photo enforcement and browbeat the city attorney into issuing an opinion affirming the controversial program's legality. Other politicians involved in the scheme have yet to be charged.
Leonard ultimately extracted $70 million from Dallas County Schools, bankrupting the agency and forcing voters to shut it down in a referendum.

Despite the scandal, Force Multiplier Solutions survives under the name BusPatrol, with several cities continuing to do business with the firm as if nothing had happened.

An analysis released recently by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reveals that the "drivers" who most often hurt or kill students are far more likely to be the ones behind the wheel of a school bus.
In 2015, the last year of available data, 11 students nationwide were struck and killed by a school bus. None were hit by automobiles while walking to or from a school bus. Over the past ten years, only 4 automobiles have ever struck and killed a school-age pedestrian after passing a school bus. In the same period, 62 child fatalities were caused by school bus drivers.
kurt

beterarcher
Redneckapelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Sep 03 2018 12:37 pm

long time, no see, folks......Welp, i saw the light at 5:00 am at tatum and lincoln. Where is the best info to get out of a red light camera ticket? I haven't received anything in the mail but someone may have just tried to serve me. I didn't answer the door. can they drop serve?
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 03 2018 2:26 pm

beterarcher wrote:
Sep 03 2018 12:37 pm
long time, no see, folks......Welp, i saw the light at 5:00 am at tatum and lincoln. Where is the best info to get out of a red light camera ticket? I haven't received anything in the mail but someone may have just tried to serve me. I didn't answer the door. can they drop serve?
There should be two types of notices you will/should receive. The first is a notice of violation, which is basically a mailed ticket, and it would name you (presuming you are the registered owner) as the driver.
The second is a notice that states that a violation is alleged, but they are uncertain of the identity of the driver, and a request for you to identify the driver.
Replying to either will prove to them that you have been served.
Scottsdale takes it a step further, using a method that allows process servers to -- after attempting several in-person services -- mail and leave citations at front doors even if the driver isn't present.
The method is known as "alternative service," Apparently Scottsdale is the only Arizona municipality using alternative service in photo-radar cases. This, of course in spite of a law signed by Governor Doug Ducey in '16 - the law — one of several that took effect January 1, '17 — bans the state from suspending a driver's license in photo-enforcement cases that use "alternative service".
Attachments
Redlight camera comic.jpg
Last edited by hikeaz on Sep 03 2018 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kurt

beterarcher
Redneckapelli

Post by beterarcher » Sep 03 2018 8:04 pm

@hikeaz
I haven't received anything in the mail and I'm parking in the garage. I'm sure not going to answer the door for anyone I don't know for 90 days. I'm also pretty sure that Tatum and Lincoln isn't Scottsdale but Paradise Valley. I'm told that the server can't drop serve by taping it to your door in this instance.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

beterarcher
Redneckapelli

Post by beterarcher » Sep 03 2018 8:06 pm

The stupid thing about it is that I was looking for their OTHER revenue generator(speed cameras) when I got complacent and crossed into the intersection like a millisecond late.
Anthony Bourdain

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli

Post by trekkin_gecko » Sep 03 2018 8:08 pm

yep, paradise valley
I've successfully ignored three of these
Last edited by trekkin_gecko on Sep 03 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Sep 04 2018 7:21 am

P.V. has no municipal property tax....that would affect the residents. It's a better political move to 'tax' all those who pass through > In fiscal year 2016-17, the Town of Paradise Valley issued 47,651 photo radar tickets, which accounted for $2,195,989 in gross fine remits — with $606,726 provided to the state and county; $572,057 paid to Redflex Traffic Systems; and the “amount retained by the town” was $1,017,206.
Last edited by hikeaz on Sep 04 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Oct 23 2018 11:34 am

Texas School Bus Chief Busted In Photo Enforcement Scandal

The former Dallas County Schools board president on Monday entered a plea of guilty to federal corruption charges related to the ill-fated Texas school bus stop-arm camera program. Larry Duncan, once a powerful Democratic politician who served four terms on the Dallas city council became the fifth to fall in the bribery scandal that plunged his agency $103 million in debt for the benefit of a private company.

Duncan used his position at Dallas County Schools to advance the controversial automated ticketing program run by Force Multiplier Solutions (now operating as BusPatrol). In return, that company handed Duncan $245,000 in campaign contributions. Of that amount, Duncan used $184,726 for purely personal expenses that had nothing to do with his school board campaign. Instead of getting him on bribery, US Attorney Erin Nealy Cox charged Duncan with failing to report that windfall on his 2016 tax return.
kurt

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Dec 05 2018 1:38 pm

Red light camera programs in South Florida are finding themselves in legal trouble. The city of Tamarac last week dismissed all red light camera tickets issued prior to May 1, and a judge in Miami-Dade County has found that sixteen different cities within the county have been violating state law.
Judge Steve Leifman reviewed the use of "business rules" that are hashed out between the municipality and the for-profit private camera contractor. The vendor sends each city the same questionnaire asking how to handle ten different situations that determine whether a motorist should or should not receive a citation. The Ticket Clinic provided a spreadsheet showing how each of the sixteen cities came up with different answers to those questions. As Judge Leifman, noted, Aventura defined where a car is supposed to stop as, "Behind the Stop Line" while Key Biscayne said "Behind the Cross Walk" and Homestead went with "Behind the Prolongation of the Curb." The Judge stated: "How is a driver to know that the guidelines of the business rules questionnaires vary from municipality to municipality?" "The legislature has delineated what is or is not a violation of state statutes regarding right turns on red. Because of the non-uniformity of the business rules questionnaires of the various municipalities, a person driving through the various municipalities, including Aventura, is unaware of and subject to being in violation of the differing rules and regulations, many of which also differ from municipality to municipality and from state law."
kurt

markthurman53
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, Arizona

Post by markthurman53 » Dec 05 2018 2:24 pm

@hikeaz
My father took the Tucson Traffic tickets for the stop lights to court because the for profit companies made up their own rules as to when you are running a red light. The for profit scum bags tried to tell him it was not a good idea to fight the ticket because the fine would be increased (that alone sounds illegal to me). He won the case because Arizona law says the stop line is in front of the crosswalk not 60 feet further out where curbs of the intersection are. I was glad to see those things disappear in Tucson.

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Dec 05 2018 3:50 pm

@markthurman53
The REAL crooks are the city council members.... always with their hand out for the money grab and the 'free' campaign contributions; with complete disregard for the law and the citizenry.
kurt

Return to “Political”