Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Devil's Canyon Hike, AZ  • Apache Leap, AZ
Linked Areas none
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Oak Flat

Post by joebartels »

May or may not be of interest to some:
The Concerned Citizens and Retired Miners Group in Superior, Arizona is very concerned regarding the potential swap of one of the most stunning recreational sites in the world-located just 5 miles East of Superior-Oak Flat Campground. Located in the Tonto National Forest, Oak Flat Campground was set aside for recreational purposes by Executive Order from President Dwight Eisenhower in 1955 and was to be protected from future development, and in particular, inviolate to mining. Now Resolution Copper Company, a foreign-owned mining company, wants to own this land. They have taken a proposed land swap to Congress and bypassed the public process. If this proposed legislation passes and the mine owns this spectacular area, it will be excluded from public visitation and recreation-and it will be destroyed! We urge you as members of the public who care about what happens to our treasured public lands to speak out against this land swap. Sign our petition and pass it along to your friends and neighbors. Thank you. We need 20,000 signatures in 30 days on a petition to stop Congress giving great public land--and the sacred Apache Leap over to a mining company.

google "petitiononline coop2468"
Keep in mind it's dated June 20th, currently at 338. No clue if that means there's four days left or not.
- joe
nonot

Re: Oak Flat

Post by nonot »

Wouldn't it be nice if they had some real integrity?
In this day and age, not many do, whether you are talking about politicians or otherwise.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
joebartels

Post by joebartels »

In reading the amcaz.org Oct 2009 newsletter I came across
RCM will grant permanent easement to Devil's Canyon along Power Line road.
- joe
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

How about getting the mine at the South end to allow access ?
jk
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Will accessing the easement require clambering across mine tailings and dodging enormous dump trucks?
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid »

I saw this story Op-Ed: Trump is making a last-minute push to turn a sacred Arizona oasis into a copper pit here on Yahoo News
The original story is here on the Los Angeles Times site (where I believe only subscribers can view it?)
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Dec 13 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannondaleKid
Mountain_Rat
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Mountain_Rat »

Matt
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@CannondaleKid
Somebody needs to remind Trump that this was something that McCain supported so he'll do everything possible to prevent it from happening.
33s over 45s

Return to “Political”