Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Government Shutdown

Post by cactuscat » Dec 30 2018 6:39 pm

This was written by an NPS Ranger friend of mine - I think she really hit the nail on the head! -KW

Why I won’t be visiting a federal agency during the shutdown.

Maybe We The People shouldn't be out having fun when our government is in a shutdown.

While working the shutdown I’ve noticed some American’s don’t even know there is one. One woman asked why the entrance gate was empty, and when I replied that we couldn’t take money during the government shutdown, she excitedly replied, “I hope the government stays shutdown longer.” Part of the problem with government agencies being forced to stay open during the shutdown (like national parks) is that the people don't fully feel the pain of government dysfunction and are lulled into not acting. And this is the exact reason parks have been forced to stay open; a recent change from years past. The public does love their parks, and they raised a ruckus in 2013. Sometimes it’s helpful to feel pain. It lets us know we are unwell. You can choose to take a pill, but that might only mask the problem.

I know some people will say, “Why should I sacrifice when this is their problem?” “My family and I already had plans. Do you expect us to cancel them?” “But the park is open.” “Those small resort towns would be impacted if we don’t go.” Here's why…. First, it would put less burden on the resource while it’s not being properly funded. Second, we can stand in support of our federal coworkers. Third, if businesses feel the impact then they’ll call their local officials. We should collectively feel this ridiculousness. Maybe if enough of us act we can effect change. Maybe you will. I finally did today.

This is why I will boycott visiting the federal agencies and land during the shutdown. Maybe it’s just a small gesture, but it’s one thing I can do to help. That, and call my representatives and the White House...daily.
Where is the "dislike" button?

LindaAnn
TangyPlaid Slemonindapelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Government Shutdown

Post by LindaAnn » Jan 08 2019 8:24 am

Eh, keep the gov’t shut down until the wall is built. Federal govt should only exist for the purpose of national defense, everything else is a waste. I doubt that many people are rushing to national parks right now just to trash them; most people there already had trips planned. I know I certainly wouldn’t reschedule anything I had planned. The parks have turned into an overcommercialzed joke. Get rid of 90% of the parks infrastructure, return them to their original natural state, make it so that you have to put in a little bit of effort to access them, and you’ve solved both the budget problem and the overuse problem. Every article I’ve read primarily or only mentions all these problems in the parks during the shutdown happening in Kalifornia or D.C.—and I’m not concerned about what happens in either of those two places, they barely function when there’s not a shutdown.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 08 2019 9:11 am

I vowed to myself not to comment further as it would just be like wrestling with pigs... we'd just get all muddy and only the pigs will be happy.

However... I thought it wouldn't hurt for others to know what kind of 'representation' we are (or are NOT) receiving in DC.
1. I called Senator Sinema's office in DC and was provided the opportunity to leave feedback.

2. I called Senator McSally's office and here it is, verbatim...
"Sorry I didn't get that, please try again...
Sorry I didn't get that, please try again...
Sorry I didn't get that, please try again...
Thanks for calling...
Goodbye."

So much for our temporary replacement for the Honorable John McCain's old seat, huh?

Then I thought, hmmmm... how about contacting the TV News stations in town asking them to follow-up on this...

And guess, what? ALL the stations except ONE immediately said they'd look into it and provided no further comment.
What did that ONE station do? The guy at the FOX 10 station responded with "What about Sinema's phone?"
To which I simply replied "It works"
CannondaleKid

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Jan 08 2019 9:39 am

Wow, sad to see so many Trump- propaganda buying fools here. :(
Where is the "dislike" button?

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 08 2019 10:27 am

HAZ Forum Guidelines
1) Support your opinion with facts.

2) Responding to members you disagree with is permitted if courteous.
Last edited by chumley on Jan 08 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
smoke it

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jan 08 2019 11:04 am

@cactuscat
We know who you voted for!
Rowdy and Widowmaker

no avatar
sidhayes
Speedipelli

Post by sidhayes » Jan 08 2019 11:43 am

@cactuscat
It really does you no good at all to be calling people you do not know, fools. Which might mean stupid or ignorant, or maybe even evil.

no avatar
sidhayes
Speedipelli

Post by sidhayes » Jan 08 2019 11:46 am

Return to “Political”