Pseudo Lurker Lounge

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

The Great American Outdoors Act

Post by chumley »

I'm sure there are people who want to argue.

Many news sources available to choose your perspective on the towering walls of yo'see miniteys.
The legislation has two main impacts. First, it establishes a National Park and Public Lands Legacy Restoration Fund that will provide up to $9 billion over the next five years to fix deferred maintenance at national parks, wildlife refuges, forests, and other federal lands, with $6.5 billion earmarked specifically to the 419 national park units...Second, the GAOA guarantees $900 million per year in perpetuity for the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), a flagship conservation program paid for by royalty payments from offshore oil and gas drilling in federal waters.
Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Congressional Western Caucus, called the bill "a demonstration of everything wrong with Washington ... written not by committees but in backrooms, packed full of special interest provision and now being forced through without the opportunity for us to amend it."

House Natural Resources Chairman Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) appeared unfazed by the onslaught. "Today, I didn't think it was necessary to engage in the same argument we've been engaging in about the LWCF and the backlog," Grijalva said in his concluding remarks. "This legislation is not about robbing Peter to pay Paul. It is not about taking money from the East to give to the West. It is not about denying coastal states their share.
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/ ... doors-act/

In AZ, both senators voted yes. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/116-2020/s121
The reps voted yay 6-3 nay with Schweikert (AZ-6) being the only R to join the Ds in support. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/116-2020/h155
33s over 45s
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Re: The Great American Outdoors Act

Post by RedRoxx44 »

Yes, it all sounds good whatever. WTH are we getting that money. Why doesn't the government just let us have our own printing presses and according to our life averaged income then add 10% for being a good little boy or girl, we print our own currency and go our merry way. Or send everyone a debit card with 100k on it with a limit for spending it in one fell swoop. Why not fund all the parks and public lands with 3,4, 5 trillion. It's all the same. We don't have it and never will. Why does it seem we send the stupidest people to Washington. Oh, that's right, the best and the brightest want to be hedge fund managers then stick all the money in the caymens. End of this unrelated rant.
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

That sucks that some politicians in Washington got their feels hurt. You think maybe we should send them a summer sausage or like a mixtape or something?
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal »

Not to make this political but in order to help Paul Gosar understand the significance of the outdoors, I'm willing to take him hiking tomorrow about noon in the Maricopas. Ten miles should do it....er ..... help.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper »

chumley wrote:Many news sources available to choose your perspective on the towering walls of yo'see miniteys.
I was streaming this "dog and pony show" live today from the White House and sad :? .. "Trump mispronounces Yosemite National Park as 'yo-Semite' twice in White House speech"
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Jim_H
City, State: Marana, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

I deleted my wildly inflammatory and sarcastic post in favor of:

If I read the HR 1957 correctly, we aren't printing money, but instead creating a fund which shall not exceed $1,900,000,000. from energy development on Federal Lands.
Except as provided in paragraph (2), for each of fiscal years 2021 through 2025, there shall be deposited in the Fund an amount equal to 50 percent of all energy development revenues due and payable to the United States from oil, gas, coal, or alternative or renewable energy development on Federal land and water credited, covered, or deposited as miscellaneous receipts under Federal law in the preceding fiscal year.
The amount deposited in the Fund under paragraph (1) shall not exceed $1,900,000,000 for any fiscal year.
That doesn't mean it won't create a shortfall elsewhere, since it is unlikely that money was just going to sit around.

I support the spending on our crumbling NP infrastructure. I also have stated before and will state again that I support increases on entrance fees, and on changing the Inter-agency Park Pass to only offer a discount at park entrances, and change the entrance fees to foreign tourists.

Perhaps Instead of a $35 for 7 days for a car load at Grand Canyon or Zion, Make it a daily fee of something like $15 per person. Perhaps the Park Pass gives a 25% discount.
Let's go Brandon!!!!! Let's go Brandon!!!!
RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 »

I think all of these funds should be audited yearly in a surprise audit from an unknown CPA firm from outside the US selected by a random committee at the last minute. I trust that money will get there like I trust any politician that says " we must support the middle class" or " we have to do it for the children!"
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Oh, it got signed into law.
Grimey
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Grimey »

Jim_H wrote:Perhaps Instead of a $35 for 7 days for a car load at Grand Canyon or Zion, Make it a daily fee of something like $15 per person.
$75 per day just to get in the door, for a family of 5 trying to cobble together a vacation and visit some national parks that their taxes allegedly help pay for? I'm sorry but if that's the way access to the outdoors is going, count me out.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@Grimey @Jim_H Probably no reason to relitigate this one again. Some great memories in the original version though: [ Proposed NPS entrance fee increase d ... seasons ]
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

President Donald J. Trump signed the Great American Outdoors Act into law, which will significantly help address the historically underfunded, multi-billion-dollar deferred maintenance backlog at our national parks and public lands. In celebration of this historic achievement, U.S. Secretary of the Interior David L. Bernhardt announced that entrance fees paid by visitors coming to lands managed by the Department will be waived on August 5, 2020. Secretary Bernhardt also announced that August 4th will be designated “Great American Outdoors Day,” a fee-free day each year moving forward to commemorate the signing of the Act.

The remaining fee-free days in 2020 are:
August 5: Great American Outdoors Act Commemoration
August 25: National Park Service Birthday
September 26: National Public Lands Day
November 11: Veterans Day
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
AZClaimjumper
City, State: Reno, Nevada

Post by AZClaimjumper »

@hikeaz
I saw the headline yesterday. Thanks for the details.
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@hikeaz I am just happy that the great date of August 4th is finally getting some recognition, long overdue IMO. I’ve always said August 4th, should be a holiday....
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

@friendofThundergod
Happy belated birthday!
rally_toad
City, State: CA

Post by rally_toad »

chumley wrote: Aug 04 2020 7:23 pm @Grimey @Jim_H Probably no reason to relitigate this one again. Some great memories in the original version though: [ Proposed NPS entrance fee increase d ... seasons ]
I disagree and feel like we owe it to ourselves and HAZ to relitigate that thread.

GO
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth
chumley

Post by chumley »

The USDA today announced their plan for spending $285 million on improvements across the National Forest Service. The funds come from the National Parks and Public Land Legacy Restoration Fund, established by last year's Great American Outdoors Act.

News Release: https://www.fs.usda.gov/news/releases/u ... astructure
Details: https://www.fs.usda.gov/managing-land/gaoa
A specific list of proposed projects in Arizona: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r3/h ... EPRD852833

* AZT deferred maintenance ("Reconstruction, realignment, and maintenance of 155 miles of AZT. Construction of one trailhead, one toilet, and multiple gates)
* Tonto NF reconstruction and repair of 150 miles of trails
* Maintenance for 30 miles of hiking trails on the Sierra Vista RD
* Maintain Sycamore Basin Trail 63 and #9016
* Renovate Taylor Cabin and Duff Springs Cliff Dwelling
* Map, inventory, and stabilize Sycamore Canyon cliff dwelling
* Trail maintenance on the cabin loop. Repair three historic cabins
* Renovate high use trailheads in the Sedona area
* Two new accessible trailheads in Sedona
* Construct real trailhead at Tanque Verde Falls Rec area
* Flagstaff Trail Network: 4 trailheads, relocate segments of existing trail. Build 15 miles new trail.
* Pave 6 more miles of NFSR 300 (Rim Road)
* A new bridge, parking and pavement along the Horton Creek/Tonto Fish Hatchery Road
* Resurfacing NFSR 22 on the Kaibab Plateau
* Resurfacing of NFSR 552 southwest of Flagstaff (end of the world)
* Resurfacing NFSR 708 to Fossil Creek and replacing the bridge over the creek
* New North Kaibab Ranger Station
* New Mogollon Rim Ranger Station and employee housing
* New Flagstaff Ranger Station, consolidating 3 existing facilities
* Complete rehab of the 1908 Mormon Lake Guard Station
* More parking capacity at Sabino Canyon
* New Ranger Station at Sabino Canyon
* Expansion of Pinegrove Campground southeast of Flagstaff
* Repave NFSR 611 (Lynx Lake)
* Horsethief Basin repairs: 10 miles of roadway, drinking water distribution to campgrounds and Kentuck TH
* Reconstruct NFSR 610 on the Kaibab Plateau
* Resurface NFSR 320 on the Tusayan district (AZT 36)
* Reconstruct NFSR 301 for passenger vehicles (Walnut Canyon)
* Replace forest entrance signs and developed rec site signs on the Coconino forest
* New Tonto district office in Globe
* Stabilize 7 miles of road and reconstruct two parking lots at AZT and Grandview Lookout
* 3 year project to redevelop Goldfield Rec area on the lower Salt River.
* Repair/stabilize historic structures: Los Burros Barn, Pinedale Ranger Station, Bear Mtn. Lookout, Caldwell Cabin, Site 2 Barn
* Springerville Ranger station renovation
* Replace 15 restrooms on the Coronado NF
* Renovate Black Jack Campground on the Clifton district
* Reconstruct and repave NFSR 48C to Parker Canyon Lake
* Stabilize Cave Creek Campground access road
* Rehabilitate NFSR 38 (Mt. Lemmon Control Road / Peppersauce)
* Repave and improve safety on NFSR 516 (Snowbowl Road)
* Expand Tusayan Ten-X Campground
* Surface 60 miles of roads in the Black River area (24 ,25, 26, 116, 249E)
* Picnic area improvements to Bignotti RAP in Camp Verde
* Granite Basin Rec Area improvements
* Kaibab and Coconino NF resurfacing of existing roads accessing rec sites and trailheads
* Reconstruct four roads and relocate a campground as part of Chicicahua/Dragoon Fire Protection plan
* Create parking area at Angle Orchard on Mt. Graham
* Upgrade lower Carr Canyon rd, Brown Canyon Ranch rd, ML2 road in the Huachucas
* Renovate campgrounds across the entire ASNF
* Pavement preservation at Laguna, Coons Bluff, Blue Point, Sheeps Crossing, and Tortilla Campground
* Replace interpretive signage on the Black Canyon Auto Tour on the Mogollon Rim
* Fix water system at Burnt Corral CG on Lake Roosevelt
* Nogales and Sierra Vista districts exploratory well drilling to replace spring sources
* New parking lot and river access at Granite Reef lower Salt River
* Replace fishing and boat access docks at Saguaro Lake
* Replace bridge crossing NFSR 95 at Bear Canyon
* Replace 6 structurally deficient bridges
33s over 45s
chumley

Post by chumley »

Not in the list that I wish had been:
* Increased FTE funding for field personnel
* Funding to replace worn-out footwear for said field personnel (ongoing)
* Funding for additional citation books and accompanying ballpoint pens (ongoing)
:roll:
33s over 45s
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

Funds truly come from us/we/you, the taxpayer. We pay... and HOW!
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

@chumley - Thanks for doing the heavy lifting and parsing this out.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
ALMAL
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL »

@chumley
Glad to see some idea of fixing FR95 washout at Bear Canyon.
You aren't late if you don't show up!

Return to “Political Dumpster Fire”