New Prove-You're-A-Citizen law

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

New Prove-You're-A-Citizen law

Post by JimmyLyding » Apr 20 2010 12:39 pm

When Governor Brewer signs this into law, can anyone see some unintended consequences? For those who don't know, this law will allow law enforcement officials to require anyone they come into contact with to prove that they are legally allowed to be in this country whether as a citizen or guest. For the record a valid driver's license is NOT considered proof-of-citizenship. Does this mean that those of us who appear as if we might be foreign have to carry around our birth certificates?
I'm not that worried about myself because I'm a 6'4" white dude, but then I remember reading about 80-year-old nuns being strip-searched by airport security.
As for hiking, I always carry my wallet with me because I'd rather risk losing it on the trail than having it stolen out of my car. But I'm not about to carry my birth certificate around. Anyhoo, this law will probably be struck down by the courts.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: New Prove-You're-A-Citizen law

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 16 2010 8:40 am

It sort of seems like we're locked into an experiment in government that mankind is destined to repeat again and again with only slight variation each iteration. Just look back at the Romans...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 16 2010 8:48 am

jeffmacewen wrote:Just look back at the Romans...
Yes, that example is quite germane.

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 16 2010 9:47 am

big_load wrote:
I have noticed this. But I didn't know - are GOTHS illegal? :o
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 16 2010 10:26 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote:
big_load wrote:
I have noticed this. But I didn't know - are GOTHS illegal? :o
There's a lot of them at the mall...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 16 2010 10:48 am

OK I've hijacked enough threads in my time - so let's see if I can get this one back on track with a quote from Teddy Roosevelt:
"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Jul 16 2010 8:56 am

Watch the video, share it with your friends we need to save our lands from this onslaught.

http://www.cis.org/Videos/HiddenCameras2
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Jul 16 2010 9:43 am

I thought that the most telling part was when she said in one of the hidden cameras that 700+ immigrants were caught on hidden camera in one month on a particular trail, but no border patrol agents. I myself have only seen BP agents on the trail once in the Santa Ritas. (most of the time that I see them, they are driving their SUV's on the highways) Am I the only one that thinks that having the BP at known water sources would be the way to catch a lot of the illegal traffic?
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Jul 16 2010 10:25 am

@sirena

Your assumption is that the Administration wants our BP to catch the illegal traffic... Seems like the SOP is to post signs warning US citizens to stay out of areas known to be traffic areas... :STP:

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 16 2010 10:26 am

Whoa back the train up Sirena, you're getting into a very technical "making sense" area [-X
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Jul 16 2010 12:05 pm

AZLOT69 wrote:Watch the video, share it with your friends we need to save our lands from this onslaught.

Wowsers!.. :o

I feel like we should just put up turnstiles and charge admission.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 16 2010 1:15 pm

Cut off the demand there will be very little supply...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Jul 16 2010 1:33 pm

No way am I givin up my Mexican food.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 16 2010 1:35 pm

AZLOT69 wrote:Watch the video, share it with your friends we need to save our lands from this onslaught.

Hey they stole Nick's photo spot at 1:54 :o
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Jul 16 2010 1:45 pm

PLC92084 wrote:Your assumption is that the Administration wants our BP to catch the illegal traffic
Well, if the BP starts catching them now then the folks that actually wrote SB1070 might not get the contracts to do that part of the job, too. So far, a few people are standing to gain a fortune off of fighting illegal immigration. Retraining police officers is done by a private firm and so will be building and running the new facilities to hold these people in. I'm sure Kris Kobach stands to make some major money from both. At some point, I won't be surprised at all to see Blackwater or Wackenhut running the show on the border. Its all money.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Jul 16 2010 2:04 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:At some point, I won't be surprised at all to see Blackwater or Wackenhut running the show on the border. Its all money.
Having personally seen "Xe" in action many times over in sandy fun land, let's hope for the sake of all of us that you're wrong!! :o
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Oct 31 2010 6:38 pm

Ah, nice to see how it all works:

http://www.commondreams.org/print/61865
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 31 2010 9:10 pm

imike wrote:Ah, nice to see how it all works
© 2010 National Public Radio
One of the biggest problems today is that it all depends on who is doing the "seeing".

If only sanity had actually been restored today. :(
Profound observer

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Oct 31 2010 10:41 pm

@chumley

So now NPR is the devil?

Comeon though, NPR is the most non-offensive, non-partisan, non-exciting forms of media I've ever heard. They specifically hire people who cannot physically become excited or enthusiastic about anything.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Nov 01 2010 6:34 am

chumley wrote:If only sanity had actually been restored today. :(
Today is young. I assume you're referring to the 9th Circuit Appeals...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 01 2010 7:47 am

@Rob- I was referring to Jon Stewart. The 9th Circuit will not restore anything today. It will be political theater on both sides.
@Rally- No NPR is not the devil. But they do report the news from a particular point of view. Thought it is nice that they do it calmly. But even if they are not part of the "screaming class" doesn't mean that you should take everything they report as unbiased truth. There really are no media that can be trusted in that way anymore. It makes it tough as a "consumer" of news because you have to take in so many sources to get a good picture of reality.

And just to be clear on the story itself, I'm not a fan of private prisons either. Its in the same boat as photo radar. There are some things that shouldn't be outsourced.
Profound observer

Return to “Political”