state TRUST land?!

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

state TRUST land?!

Post by beterarcher » Aug 15 2012 1:52 pm

:SB: This is my first post since I joined HAZ. I was born in Arizona and lived here for 29 years before moving to California for 13 years. Well, I'm back now for good. If I'm not mistaken, there was no need for a state trust land (STL) access permit when I left the state in 1999. I live in north Phoenix and hike, bike, watch wildlife, shoot archery targets and geocache the STL near my home.
I've been confronted by city police twice in the year that I've been back for being parked on dirt and the officers just took down my name and said they were not going to cite me. I think they just use the law to checK people for warrants and illegal activities. It seems as if there are enough laws on the books to justify these "stop and talks". The no parking or driving on dirt thing is supposed to reduce dust in the area, yet there are no restrictions on the dust blowers that lawn service people use! I was at a local park last week and the city workers were mowing the dirt! Does anybody remember when one would use rakes and brooms to clean up one's yard? The other day, on TV, I saw some polititian talking about the increasing dust storms we get (I refuse to use the word haboub) and he said that one way to reduce these storms would be to pave over the areas that contribute to the airborne dust. Great idea!, all we need is more asphalt!
If the Arizona State Land Department would find a way to clean up some of the illegal dumping that is rampant in these areas, one might feel a justification in buying a STL yearly pass. From what I understand, none of the revenue from the sales of these passes goes toward doing this. There might be a way to encurage volunteers to help.
There are areas in which I have seen evidence of cactus thievery. I found truck tracks that meander through and over the native flora destroying plants, cactus and animal's burrows alike. the area just north of the 101 freeway at 56st has been land surveyed for expansion of a subdivision.
I hunt and fish but with the economy as it is I cannot afford either liscense (which I understand would grant me permission to use STL) so I haven't hunted or fished since I've returned to Arizona. Being of Native American descent (Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma) I believe the rights of any person or group of people to use the land respectfully should not be taken away.
These STLs suport a wide range of wildlife: Coyote, Bobcat, Raccoons, Skunks, Javalina, Jack Rabbits, Cottontail Rabbits, Ground Squirrles, Rock Squirrles, Antelope Squirrles, Pack Rats, Deer Mice, Rattlesnakes, Coachwhip Snakes, King Snakes, Bull Snakes, Tarantulas, Tarantula Hawks, Hairy Scorpions, Centepedes, several types of hawk and falcon, Turkey Vultures, Abert's Towhee, Northern Cardinal, Humming Birds, Cactus Wrens, Thrashers, Road Runners, Mocking Birds, Crowned Sparrows, Great Horned Owls, various Flycatchers, Black Phoebe, Verdins, Verios, Pyrahuxlia, Phainopepla, Colorado River Toad, Spadefoot Toad.... These are just the ones I can remember seeing at this time.
I used to TRUST the state to take care of State TRUST Land, now... not so much. If you can find an area of STL that is reasonably free of trash, go out and use it. All said, I will continue to use these STLs respectfully....Without a yearly pass! Give me a ticket, you cant get blood from a stone! LESS BIG GOVERNMENT!

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Ancient Indian Proverb
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

Hippy
City, State: Grand Canyon

Re: state TRUST land?!

Post by Hippy » Jan 09 2013 4:57 pm

chumley wrote:Maricopa County paid $490,991 for the right-of-way on the Maricopa Trail.
that's where my bonus went?! : app : well played Maricopa County.

trekkin_gecko

Post by trekkin_gecko » Jan 12 2013 2:49 pm

mailed my permit application on thursday, got my permit TODAY
decided to just get one, given the carney thing
a couple trails in the mcdowells require one, too
pleasantly surprised at the turnaround time

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber » Jan 12 2013 4:37 pm

trekkin gecko wrote:mailed my permit application on thursday, got my permit TODAY
decided to just get one, given the carney thing
a couple trails in the mcdowells require one, too
pleasantly surprised at the turnaround time
got mine too...very quickly. They put a survey in there that I intend to fill out saying what is up with no online application.
FYI everyone, it's yellow this year.

We'll have to remember to take it when we hit the Quartz Trail. Let me know and hopefully we can do that one together. It also works for Buzzards Roost but that's a tough little drive in a couple spots. For you climbing hikers or is that hiking climbers? out there, Buzzards Roost is right up your alley.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jan 15 2013 10:37 am

If you hunt an AZ hunting license it also serves as a state trust permit.

Just have a gun on you and tell them your poping yotes in the desert if asked. ;)
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

beterarcher

Post by beterarcher » Jan 15 2013 4:11 pm

@base871
you've got to be in possession of a firearm that is legal for the taking of any animal that is in season. you're average sidearm will not qualify, even if you're a good enough shot to take game with a 1911.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jan 16 2013 7:45 pm

True. I usually have my EBR with me.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

SgtLumpy
City, State: N Phoenix, AZ

Post by SgtLumpy » Mar 09 2013 6:06 pm

Oh for heaven's sake. The permit is $15 bucks per year. That's hardly a "law degree" nor a "stack of land use maps". It costs money for EVERYTHING. Fishermen pay to manage their areas. Golfers pay (a LOT) to manage their areas. Automobile operators pay to manage their areas. I'm personally fine with paying a measly dollar and change per month for a permit that I may or may not use, in order to hike on NO PUBLIC land. There's eleventy gazillion other miles of trails that we hike that have no fees.

I suggest stop thinking of the right to hike on someone's privately owned land as some kind of entitlement and just buy the silly permit.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Return to “Political”