Traveler vandalizes National Parks, documents via Instagram

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Traveler vandalizes National Parks, documents via Instagram

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Oct 22 2014 6:56 pm

A young woman traveling the West has left paintings on rocks and rock art panels in numerous National Parks, and documented it all via Instagram. She is not yet in custody. Here's the article:

http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/i ... nal-parks/
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Traveler vandalizes National Parks, documents via Instag

Post by Sredfield » Jan 20 2015 2:45 pm

Someone more tech savvy than I has to get that photo in Facebook.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 20 2015 2:49 pm

@Sredfield
Done, I shared it to my Personal Page...When you open the Link, it takes you to the Forest Service Page...Click on the URL to Highlight it, then Right Click to "Copy" it. Then go to your Page and Right Click again to Paste it on your Page... :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jan 20 2015 3:03 pm

neilends wrote:Not sure why the page is cut-off
Not sure why either, but if you select the text and copy it into a text program, the text is all there.

So the contact to call with any information is: Officer Mike O’Neil at 928-203-7512.
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 20 2015 3:07 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it looks like Jeff Flake. :M2C:
I'll let the authorities take it from here.
Profound observer

autumnstars
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » Jan 25 2015 3:15 pm

Unbelievable! :o
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

John9L

Re: Traveler vandalizes National Parks, documents via Instagram

Post by John9L » Jun 14 2016 10:19 am

The NPS finally issued the sentencing for Casey Nocket. She's been givin probation, community service & is banned from all Federal lands for two years.

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/nocket-se ... dalism.htm
The woman who defaced sites within several national parks in 2014 pleaded guilty today to seven misdemeanor counts of damaging government property. Casey Nocket, age 23, was ordered by a federal judge to serve two years of probation and 200 hours of community service. She is also banned from all lands administered by the National Park Service (NPS), US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Army Corps of Engineers during her probation period.

An ISB Special Agent, aided by the ISB Intelligence Analyst, conducted the lengthy investigation, bringing forth a strong case to an Assistant US Attorney for prosecution. A hearing to determine the amount of restitution Nocket is required to pay will be held at a later date.

According to court documents, Nocket damaged rock formations within seven national parks over a 26-day period, drawing or painting on them using acrylic paints and markers. She posted numerous pictures of her drawings on her social media accounts. The parks are in four federal districts: the Eastern District of California, the District of Oregon, the District of Utah, and the District of Colorado.

Acting US Attorney Philip Talbert stated, "The defendant's defacement of multiple rock formations showed a lack of respect for the law and our shared national treasures. The National Park Service has worked hard to restore the rock formations to their natural state, completing clean-up efforts in five of the seven parks. They expect to complete cleanup efforts at Death Valley in the near future and at Crater Lake as weather permits."

"This case illustrates the important role that the public can play in identifying and sharing evidence of illegal behavior in parks," said Charles Cuvelier, chief of Law Enforcement, Security, and Emergency Services (LESES) for the NPS. "It is clear that the public cares deeply for the special places that the National Park Service represents, and the resolution of this case sends a message to those who would consider such inappropriate behavior going forward."

Nocket's acts of vandalism included:

Rocky Mountain National Park, September 12, 2014
Colorado National Monument, September 13, 2014
Canyonlands National Park, September 15, 2014
Zion National Park, September 17, 2014
Death Valley National Park, September 23, 2014
Yosemite National Park, October 2, 2014
Crater Lake National Park, October 7, 2014

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 14 2016 10:22 am

She should have also been banned from all forms of social media for two years. That probably would have hurt more.
Profound observer

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 14 2016 12:03 pm

chumley wrote:She should have also been banned from all forms of social media for two years. That probably would have hurt more.
Ouch.

There will be a separate hearing to determine restitution.
The vandalism in September and October of 2014 caused serious cleanup problems at the national parks. The sandblasting and chemical stripping used to remove paint can cause even more damage to irreplaceable natural features.

At two parks, Crater Lake and Death Valley in California, the cleaning has yet to be completed nearly two years later.

A later hearing will determine how much restitution Nocket must pay to help with the cleanup.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Jun 14 2016 3:17 pm

@John9L That note should be posted along Siphon Draw Trail....
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Jun 22 2016 6:36 pm

Not a big social media fan, but if it can be used to help track down knuckleheads, I'm all for it.

http://www.npr.org/sec...

To all you would-be graffiti "artists" out there - Nocket off!

Return to “Political”