Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Recreational Trails Program in jeopardy

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Nov 02 2015 4:00 pm

From the American Hiking Society:
Greetings!

This would be a true game-changer: the Transportation Bill (H.R. 3763) that recently passed out of committee goes to the floor in the House of Representatives this week and two amendments have been offered that would eliminate the Recreational Trails Program - a program that helps pay for many of the hiking trails we enjoy. It is a program based on the fuel taxes paid by recreational vehicles users and so is a user-pay/user-benefit program.

I ask you to please contact your Representative in Congress and ask him or her to vote "No" on Amendment #69 introduced by Rep. Buddy Carter of Georgia and "No" on Amendment #158 introduced by Rep. Ted Yoho of Florida. You can also remind them that this is a user-pay/user-benefit program paid for by a small portion of the fuel taxes paid by recreational vehicle users. Also let them know that trails are important to you and provide significant health and economic benefits to your region and the nation as a whole.

The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is quite bipartisan and has broad support from both Republicans and Democrats in the House but once the action begins on the House floor this week, we need to make sure they know that they have support for RTP from you and other people in their district.

You can email them, send a message through their Congressional website, or phone their offices. I'd like to suggest you also contact your Representative via Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. Don't be bashful. They absolutely need to hear from you.

If you get a response from any of them I would very much appreciate you forwarding it to me (POlsen@AmericanHiking.org) so American Hiking Society can track the support and focus our efforts in areas that are the most helpful to protecting this vital trails program.

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to get engaged and help protect trails - it speaks volumes about you as a person who cares and is willing to make a difference in the world in which we live.

Sincerely,

Peter Olsen
Vice President for Programs & Government Relations

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Recreational Trails Program in jeopardy

Post by chumley » Nov 02 2015 4:04 pm

Interesting.

I'm confused about the fuel tax on RV users though. Exactly how and where do RV users get charged more tax for fuel than the rest of us?
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 02 2015 4:45 pm

Amendment #69
Amendment #158
Currently this bill has no amendments. AHS has jumped the gun a bit on this one.
See: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... amendments

More about the RTP:
The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) provides funds to the States to develop and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities for both nonmotorized and motorized recreational trail uses. Examples of trail uses include hiking, bicycling, in-line skating, equestrian use, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, off-road motorcycling, all-terrain vehicle riding, four-wheel driving, or using other off-road motorized vehicles.
Each State administers its own program, usually through a State resource or park agency.

Here in AZ it is the Arizona State Parks Department.

Funding mystery solved ... it's just an estimate of how much fuel is used by RVs:
The RTP funds come from the Federal Highway Trust Fund, and represent a portion of the motor fuel excise tax collected from nonhighway recreational fuel use: fuel used for off-highway recreation by snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, off-highway motorcycles, and off-highway light trucks. The estimates are based on a model developed by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory...
Arizona State Parks has been receiving $1.8-1.9 million per year from this fund in recent times.
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/re ... m_summary/

And I thought that's where my $7 entry fee was going! :M2C:
Highway to hell

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 02 2015 5:00 pm

SkyIslandHiker wrote:please contact your Representative in Congress and ask him or her to vote "No"
Contacting my representative (McCain) and expecting him to actually listen? (Fat chance anything gets passed to him from interns unless mucho dinero is attached... Resolution Copper anyone?)
:SB:
Frankly, based on over two dozen times I've contacted him on very specific issues I have a better chance of getting a wood post to listen. Even if the post could hear me, the end result would be the same. Nada!
:M2C:
CannondaleKid

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Nov 02 2015 5:30 pm

Meanwhile, Colorado and Washington are making $10 million+ per month in marijuana tax revenue ... think what that kind of money could do for our parks, schools, etc! :M2C: :STP:
Where is the "dislike" button?

SkyIslandHiker

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Nov 02 2015 7:43 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:Contacting my representative (McCain) and expecting him to actually listen? (Fat chance anything gets passed to him from interns unless mucho dinero is attached... Resolution Copper anyone?)
:SB:
Frankly, based on over two dozen times I've contacted him on very specific issues I have a better chance of getting a wood post to listen. Even if the post could hear me, the end result would be the same. Nada!
:M2C:
I hear ya' but McCain is in the Senate, not the House. This is a House bill. You can find your House Representative here:
http://www.contactingt...

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 03 2015 6:51 am

@SkyIslandHiker
Sorry, I had read about this deal somewhere else and it mentioned both House and Senate.
Whatever, I stand by my comment. Matt Salmon is no more responsive than McCain.

I've had a face-to-face meeting with Mr Salmon on which I had 5 minutes to 'state my case'. To prepare I practiced for days to get my spiel down to EXACTLY 300 seconds, covering a dozen specific items, and when I presented it I completed it in 299 seconds... I know, because the 'Party Minder' was sitting there with a timer and was raising his hand to cut me off when I finished.

Then I handed Matt a hard copy word-for-word of my presentation, and that was it, they stood up, Matt mumbled a few typical political sound-bite phrases and I was ushered out.

What did I get from the meeting? Zip! (sorry, just a bottle of water when I was out in the waiting room 45 minutes past my appointed time to see him)
But I really didn't expect anything anyway. The moment I walked in and saw his Party Minder sitting there I knew anything said would be along the party line, plus they had two witnesses to my one, so as to keep everything 'on record'.

I truly despise how low our Federal representatives have stooped... I have to balance my meager budget, if they can't balance the budget they should lose a chunk of their income (or at least all their benefits) until such time as they get the job done!

In McCain's last newsletter he states:
The president is holding our military hostage until we increase spending on broken Washington bureaucracies.
Well Sen. McCain, how many of those were you a part of creating in the first place? The Hawk who wants to continue to send more of our youth overseas to die (for what? as always it's about oil) while ignoring the problems right here in these United States.

/ :SB:
CannondaleKid

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 03 2015 7:56 am

@CannondaleKid :lol: You could be talking to your best friend and if that's the way you approach it he wouldn't listen to you either!
Highway to hell

SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » Nov 03 2015 9:22 am

If you want a representative receptive to all "thangs" outdoors, then move into my 'hood, 85713 zip. You can't have a better ally than the Ranking Minority Member of the House Committee on Natural Resources, Raul Grijalva, http://www.contactingthecongress.org/cg ... sfour=5941. I've canvassed for him a number of times in the past, and I can attest that he's a real approachable guy who's very sympathetic to any issue which effects all non-Fox viewing human beings.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 03 2015 4:01 pm

SAMBA wrote: . . .all non-Fox viewing human beings.
Ha! Love it!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 04 2015 4:32 am

@SAMBA
I appreciate this, but does he have any power or get anything done, or is it all just pretty talk?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Nov 04 2015 9:03 am

@azbackpackr
Yo az, or do you prefer the more formal "azbackpackr",

Are you asking about Raul, Democrats, or politicians in general? If Raul's action are "just pretty talk", then you can rest assured it ain't his fault. Your concerns are with Fox viewers, their ilk, and, most specifically, those who do their bidding in Congress.

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Nov 04 2015 7:42 pm

@azbackpackr
Yo az,

I guess you were right. Here's a picture of Raul just making "pretty talk", https://www.facebook.com/80219386985607 ... =3&theater, trying to save Oak Flats from the extractive industry.

SkyIslandHiker

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Nov 04 2015 8:20 pm

Update from AHS: http://www.americanhik...
November 4, 2015 – Thanks to the good work of so many people – especially so many of you in the hiking community who responded to American Hiking Society’s action alert – two amendments that would have ended the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) failed to advance to a vote in the House today.

While the Transportation Bill passed the Committee with broad bipartisan support for the RTP program, two amendments were introduced last Friday, Oct. 30, that would have ended this program that does so much to help fund hiking trails and other trail activities. When American Hiking discovered this, we asked our members and member clubs to join us in asking members of the House to vote against these bad amendments and you did so with gusto! With things moving rapidly and absolutely no time to spare, our members and AHS staff made sure that the hiker’s voice was heard in Congress.

American Hiking Society extends our profound gratitude to each of you who took action. This was a big deal! The transportation bill is a multi-year bill and could have dried up that source of trails funding for years. But as Margaret Meade has stated, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”

But…it’s not entirely over yet. Soon the Transportation Bill will advance to Conference where differences between the House bill and the Senate bill will be negotiated and ironed out. We don’t expect any threats to RTP which enjoys bipartisan support but AHS will be watching and working with our contacts on the Hill to just in case.

no avatar
sidhayes

Post by sidhayes » Nov 05 2015 10:01 am

Check out forum guideline #3

chumley

Post by chumley » Nov 05 2015 10:23 am

sidhayes wrote:Check out forum guideline #3
If you're referring to the insinuation that Fox viewers are unwelcome on site, I think that's a valid point.

Agree or disagree, there are millions of Fox viewers and many are sure to be hikers.

Statistics actually show that a large number of democrats/liberals watch Fox News Channel. So chances are that "Fox viewers" is an improperly placed assault on somebody you disagree with.

(Pew Research shows that 33% of Fox viewers identify as moderate or liberal, while 59% of MSBNC viewers identify as moderate or liberal ... but due to Fox News ratings superiority, there are actually MORE moderates and liberals who watch Fox than who watch MSNBC!).
http://www.people-press.org/2012/09/27/ ... audiences/

This post is in the "political" forum which will present differing opinions by default. Broad-based attacks on the intelligence of those you disagree with isn't a good way to present a convincing argument for your perspective.
Highway to hell

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Nov 05 2015 12:45 pm

@chumley
Yo Chums,

Me thinks your latest post might have been, not-so-subtly, directed SAMBA's way. His earlier, not-so-complimentary Fox insinuations were based on this Business Insider story titled "Here Are The Most- And Least-Trusted News Outlets In America", http://www.businessinsider.com/here-are ... ca-2014-10. So, after SAMBA read your stinging rebuke, he did some Googling on "most trusted news sources 2015", and was SHOCKED to find a number of polls found Fox to be the most trusted. How can anyone or thing other than the New York Mets go from 21st to 1st in a year? SAMBA felt compelled to do some additional research, and he found this one article, http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... -news.html, which may shed some light on the apparent contradiction. I guess the moral of this post, which is gospel for ALL Fox viewers, is "Ya believe what ya wanna believe".

rcorfman
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by rcorfman » Nov 05 2015 1:12 pm

@SAMBA
In my opinion, I have found your posts in this thread quite bigoted and have added little practical value to the discussion.
Go find a LonelyCache

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Nov 05 2015 2:34 pm

@rcorfman
And what's your point?

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Nov 05 2015 3:16 pm

rcorfman wrote:In my opinion, I have found your posts in this thread quite bigoted and have added little practical value to the discussion.
Just chalk it up to SAMBA's 2-methyl-2-butanol diet. :whistle:
CannondaleKid

Return to “Political”