Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

$500 EpiPen

Post by joebartels » Aug 25 2016 10:13 pm

- it was $57 in 2007 when Mylan bought the company
- Bernie says it costs a just a few dollars to make
- looks like it's 0.3mg in the video* ( and people complain about the price of cocaine )
- Mylan now earns around $1.2 billion in profits
* possibly a two pack so it's not totally ridiculous

http://www.people.com/article/epipen-pr ... 00-dollars
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: $500 EpiPen

Post by chumley » Aug 25 2016 10:44 pm

Pretty sure this should be in the "political" forum because if people respond to it that's the direction it will go. :M2C:

There is a lot of information on this if you want to do the research, but in my opinion it comes down to the problem with our healthcare system. Whether it's private insurers, Obamacare, or a "single-payer" straight-up government insurance, as long as real people aren't paying for their own care, companies like this can and will charge whatever they want.

It's nice that they are now offering multi-hundred dollar discounts to people who are paying out-of-pocket, but doesn't that truly expose the real problem? :-k
Highway to hell

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 26 2016 5:33 am

I'm told (but I don't have personal experience) that if you have an RX for a vial of it, it's only about $15, and then use a regular syringe. That's what some of us are considering using for our extended river expeditions. At any rate, if it's $15 or $25 or whatever, it's a lot cheaper in the vial. And not difficult to learn to use syringe. You still give the injection into the thigh.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Aug 26 2016 8:07 am

Come on, people. We all know that the free market and the right to make massive profits is far more important than the live of poor kids with severe allergies. Duh. </sarcasm>

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 26 2016 8:11 am

An Epi pen usually are provided two to a pack and are preloaded and include the injection needle. The Epi in a drug box utilized by paramedics often contain both the Epi Pen and Epi in a vial which is drawn up in a syringe and then injected. For the lay person having an anaphylactic reaction its much faster and easier to use a epi pen.
jk

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 26 2016 8:48 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... in-survey/

2 years old, but really, what has changed? Basically, as long as people tolerate profiteering like this epi pen greed story, and we do because if we didn't we would regulate against this sort of thing, it will exist. It's one thing if you actually developed it and there was some vast expense of R and D, but this is ridiculous. It's nothing more than pure greed.

This is really just the tip of a vast, multi-peaked iceberg of a topic or discussion that we all know can be very easily settled in the forum.

Me, I look forward to President Commancho and his multi-point healthcare plan, and the, "die penniless on the street", option. Care I deserve.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Aug 26 2016 10:03 am

I'm not looking forward to replacing my next set. I paid $100 dollar copay earlier this year. Up through 2004 I had no copay on them and they generally good for two years. Now they always have a one year expiration and who knows what my next copay will be. Requiring them to be replaced every year instead of two years is probably the other way they are profiting. I generally like to be kissed before I'm pumpkinned.
I had censor my self as the pumpkin filter did not seem to censor me. Whoops.
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 26 2016 10:29 am

MtnBart01 wrote: I generally like to be kissed before I'm pumpkinned.
Aw. How romantical. :kf:
Highway to hell

flagscott

Post by flagscott » Aug 26 2016 10:41 am

Slightly OT here, but relevant: In a first aid class recently, the trainer told us that you should always carry a little bottle (like pill bottle sized) of baking soda. According to him, if you are stung or bitten by something poisonous or that you're allergic to, you can make a sort of poultice with the baking soda to draw out the poison.

Any truth to this? A quarter cup of baking soda will run you about $599.95 less than an Epi-pen (not that I recommend switching if you're allergic!).

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 26 2016 11:43 am

@flagscott
I doubt that sort of advice being effective. I was stung by something in July of 2014 just off of Pusch Peak, and after the electric like feel on my ankle, from what ever it was, I felt an immediate sensation of the venom being transported upward in my leg. Once in, it is in.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Aug 26 2016 12:07 pm

Boy that universal health care is sure sounding good right about now.

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Aug 26 2016 12:13 pm

@gummo
right (I mean left) on. ;)
Onward into oblivion!

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Aug 26 2016 5:49 pm

Don't forget the role of government bureaucracy, namely the FDA, which has no clear and consistent principles for generic drug-delivery devices like auto injectors or asthma inhalers. Multiple companies have tried to bring equivalent devices to market but can't get past the FDA approval process. Hello monopoly.

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by skatchkins » Aug 26 2016 8:43 pm

gummo wrote:Boy that universal health care is sure sounding good right about now.
Meh. Our first year with the mandatory signup through HC.gov, my wife and I's HC went up $150/mo from what it had been without. But the govt said I didn't make enough income so here, we'll cover the difference. 2nd year with HC.gov, the same plan doubled, so I went with something lesser that was $150/mo more than the year before. But the govt said I didn't make enough income for that either so here, we'll cover the difference. So before, I could afford HC for me and my wife on my own. After HC.gov, our insurance is double what it was but it's ok because some other taxpayer now pays that difference. But guess what, this next year, our HC company is dropping us because they are quitting HC.gov because "it's too expensive for them."
I guess, thank you to whoever out there is covering the increase, but I was doing fine before. We'll see what I have to do in 2017.
Last edited by skatchkins on Aug 26 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

flagscott

Post by flagscott » Aug 26 2016 8:50 pm

toddak wrote:Don't forget the role of government bureaucracy, namely the FDA, which has no clear and consistent principles for generic drug-delivery devices like auto injectors or asthma inhalers. Multiple companies have tried to bring equivalent devices to market but can't get past the FDA approval process. Hello monopoly.
If this is true, I'd be curious to read more about it--got any links? From what I have read on health care (which is a lot), FDA bears very little of the blame for the problems with the system.

And when it comes to life-threatening allergies, it's probably better to err on the side of caution. If a defective product gets out there, people will die. Given the choice between high prices and shoddy products, I suspect most anyone who has severe allergies or a relative with them would go with the costlier option.

That said...if there are sensible reforms that could be made to FDA, maybe the party in charge of both houses of Congress should submit some.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Aug 26 2016 9:03 pm

skatchkins wrote:
gummo wrote:Boy that universal health care is sure sounding good right about now.
Meh. Our first year with the mandatory signup through HC.gov, my wife and I's HC went up $150 from what it had been without. But the govt said I didn't make enough income so here, we'll cover the difference. 2nd year with HC.gov, the same plan doubled, so I went with something lesser that was $150 more than the year before. But the govt said I didn't make enough income for that either so here, we'll cover the difference. So before, I could afford HC for me and my wife on my own. After HC.gov, our insurance is double what it was but it's ok because some other taxpayer now pays that difference. But guess what, this next year, our HC company is dropping us because they are quitting HC.gov because "it's too expensive for them."
I guess, thank you to whoever out there is covering the increase, but I was doing fine before. We'll see what I have to do in 2017.
Obamacare is not universal health care. Every 1st world country has universal health care. We don't, and we probably won't because of big pharma lobbyists.
Last edited by gummo on Aug 27 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Aug 27 2016 5:10 am

Pros and Cons, everything has it. Universal HealthCare, with our dysfunctional government and money centric system they would screw it up. Besides Big Pharma, Big Insurance Lobby, the AMA and others.

Over the years I have had more than a few Canadian clients in the 6 months here schedule surgeries in Tucson they would have to wait 6-10 months for in Canada. They paid cash for the procedures, mostly laparoscopic stuff like gall bladder etc.
I was told there would be some reimbursement via their healthcare system, not all.

I will be going on my own healthcare starting 2017 because I will be part time at work. I'll get the cheapest thing I can then hope I can stay healthy. I'll build up my HSA I still have thru an old employer so I'll have the deductible, which will probably be anywhere from 4-8 K.

Cash pay movement afoot also with concierge MD services starting up and other providers starting to offer cash pay options, esp if you know what your insurance will pay, you can sometimes negotiate the costs down.

Example-- congress did pass a law ( gasp!) that allows you to order some of your own lab tests. Sonora Quest I can look at a menu of labs I can order myself, no MD needed. Of course you are paying cash and not thru insurance. I can order basic panels, diabetics can monitor basics, for really I think reasonable costs. Your results by snail mail, email or sign up for your own results thru their website. Not endorsing this but just providing information.

Nothing is perfect, healthcare in this country included.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 27 2016 5:24 am

I got knocked off Medicaid/AHCCCS in March due to income, referred to HC dot gov. HC dot gov says I qualify for Medicaid/AHCCCS and referred me back there. Still waiting to hear from AHCCCS to be told I need to apply to HC dot gov. Not much different than most of the past 15 years--I still have no insurance. But I did have AHCCCS for one year, March '15 to March '16. Got a lot done with that. A minor surgery, a dermatology exam and treatment, etc., etc. Thank you, taxpayers.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 29 2016 6:53 am

Mylan to offer generic EpiPen for 50% less
Mylan shares (MYL) rose 1.9% in pre-market trading Monday to $43.85
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/201 ... /89528460/
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 29 2016 10:34 am

I just found a doc who will write me a script for the much less expensive vial. Need it for 25-day river trip, 16 people going.

Return to “Political”