Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

$500 EpiPen

Post by joebartels » Aug 25 2016 10:13 pm

- it was $57 in 2007 when Mylan bought the company
- Bernie says it costs a just a few dollars to make
- looks like it's 0.3mg in the video* ( and people complain about the price of cocaine )
- Mylan now earns around $1.2 billion in profits
* possibly a two pack so it's not totally ridiculous

http://www.people.com/article/epipen-pr ... 00-dollars
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

KwaiChang
City, State: Rochester, NY

Re: $500 EpiPen

Post by KwaiChang » Aug 29 2016 10:44 am

azbackpackr wrote:I just found a doc who will write me a script for the much less expensive vial. Need it for 25-day river trip, 16 people going.
Liz - in a Dory????? :scared:
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 29 2016 2:58 pm

@Kwai Chang
No dory owners have signed on, although I did invite one. We've found several whitewater kayakers and 6 boatmen with rafts to go on our trip. We do have room for one more person, by the way. We'd prefer a female since only 4 out of the 16 are females. Newbie would be fine, but needs to be available for 25 days. We rig Oct 15, launch Oct 16, taking out at Pearce on or about Nov 7.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

The_N
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by The_N » Aug 29 2016 6:24 pm

@azbackpackr
I was just wondering about that option. Epinephrine isn't expensive, it's the Epipen delivery system that is costly. If you can get a vial and a 1cc syringe you'd be saving a ton of money. Just have to be experienced enough to prepare an injection quickly. I'd imagine a 'pre-loaded' syringe would lose it's sterility much faster than if left in the vial..
If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 30 2016 4:16 am

@The_N
Yes. I have done injections before, and they say you can just jab it into the top or side of the thigh. I do know a doctor who will write me the script, but I have to get myself to his town.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

KwaiChang

Post by KwaiChang » Aug 30 2016 6:56 am

azbackpackr wrote:@Kwai Chang
No dory owners have signed on, although I did invite one. We've found several whitewater kayakers and 6 boatmen with rafts to go on our trip. We do have room for one more person, by the way. We'd prefer a female since only 4 out of the 16 are females. Newbie would be fine, but needs to be available for 25 days. We rig Oct 15, launch Oct 16, taking out at Pearce on or about Nov 7.
Wow - sounds AWESOME!!!! Have a GREAT time - I know you will - I am reading the Emerald Mile right now - CRAZY!!!! Before I step off this ride of life I WILL do a River trip. Dumb question here as I am only about 1/3 of the way thru the book - I am going to end up in the water at some point right? Those rapids just seem impassable for some of them!! Must be the thrill of a lifetime. If I were to go the Dory route I am def getting wet right?

Thanks!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 30 2016 7:33 am

@Kwai Chang
You're going to pay an awful lot of money for a dory trip. Do what I did, and start networking amongst private boaters. It'll save you $3,000 or $4,000. But it'll likely be in a raft. Fewer dories on private trips. Yes, you'll get wet because the waves splash into the boat. It's not all that scary, except occasionally. On a private trip you'll also learn how to row, starting with flat water and easy riffles. I have never been on a commercial trip. I also won the first permit lottery I put in for, and have won two more since then, (since 2011). Have permit, will travel. Plenty of people will help you put together a trip if you have a permit. That's the situation I'm in right now. I have a permit, and I have some good boaters helping put the trip together. 25 days, 16 people, spending maybe about $600 per person. I didn't know a thing about any of this stuff 6 years ago. Network network network. Go to guide school, learn to row. (Oars has a good one.) I had focus and passion and I made it happen.

KwaiChang

Post by KwaiChang » Aug 30 2016 8:32 am

azbackpackr wrote: I had focus and passion and I made it happen.
AWESOMENESS!!! :app: :worthy:

I just did a lil research - yup them Dories are running $5k and more.....ouch!!! Also watched some video's crazy COOL! I envy you Liz - yer gonna have the time of yer life for those days on the river!!! :D

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 30 2016 9:29 am

Do people carry epinephrine in their med kit as a precaution to an anaphylactic reaction to something they were previously unaware they are allergic to?

I thought that the only people who typically would carry this would be people who have a known allergy.

Is it even legal for a doctor to prescribe it for somebody who doesn't have known allergies that can cause anaphylactic shock? :-k
Highway to hell

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Aug 30 2016 11:30 am

I think it's appropriate for a river trip leader to carry it in case anyone on the trip has a reaction ...
Also do not think it is uncommon for physicians to prescribe something like that (or antibiotics or even painkillers) "just in case" for people going on long wilderness trips.
Where is the "dislike" button?

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 30 2016 2:36 pm

@chumley
@cactuscat
Todd, what cactuscat said. I'm a WFR and I'm also the trip leader, pretty sure I can get physician to prescribe epi and a few other things for my medical supply kit.

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 30 2016 2:46 pm

Apparently I have to get better at this doctor shopping thing! :)
Highway to hell

chumley

Post by chumley » Aug 30 2016 3:04 pm

A common misunderstanding in wilderness medicine at the Wilderness First Responder (WFR) and Wilderness First Aid (WFA) level revolves around the question of medication administration. A reputable wilderness medicine program, following the WFR and WFA Scope of Practice Documents, would not be instructing a WFA or WFR course graduate to stock their personal first aid kits with prescription medication with the intention of using this on a patient. Nor would the reputable wilderness medicine program be advising WFA and WFR course graduates to be making decisions on the need for prescription (Rx) medication use by a patient. This would be beyond the intended Scope of Practice of the WFA or WFR.
The possession and administration of epinephrine by laypeople is a complex issue. Support for laypeople using epinephrine for anaphylaxis amongst jurisdictions, including from country to country, varies considerably. It is important to encourage students to become familiar with any specific regulations in this regard and to know the implications. Organizations should be strongly encouraged to seek advice from a lawyer and/or guidance from a person acting as a medical advisor before deciding to initiate a policy that includes the emergency use of injectable epinephrine.
(dead link removed)
Highway to hell

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 30 2016 3:19 pm

@chumley
That's probably wise advice. Never-the-less, it's common for river trips to stock up on certain meds.

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Aug 30 2016 3:37 pm

This might be a bit off topic, but probably not as much as much as how to stock your med kit.

My understanding, is standard procedure if someone is having an allergic reaction, and has an epi-pen, is to administer the epi-pen and call 911 (or get the patient to real medical attention asap).

In my WFA course, I was told to, in a wilderness situation where professional medical treatment is distant, to first administer an antihistamine (if okayed by patient or patient's guardian) and hold off on the epi-pen as long as possible. Basically, do something to counter the allergic reaction first then apply the epinephrine to overcome the anaphylactic shock. That way, the allergic reaction will be overcome by the time the effects of the epinephrine are spent.

I've heard contradictory messages on the above and am wondering what others have been instructed to do in this situation.
Go find a LonelyCache

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Sep 19 2016 10:19 am

joebartels wrote:- it was $57 in 2007 when Mylan bought the company
- Bernie says it costs a just a few dollars to make
- looks like it's 0.3mg in the video* ( and people complain about the price of cocaine )
- Mylan now earns around $1.2 billion in profits
* possibly a two pack so it's not totally ridiculous

http://www.people.com/article/epipen-pr ... 00-dollars
The pharmaceutical company under fire for increasing the cost of its life-saving EpiPen has been criticized by Hillary Clinton — despite the fact that the manufacturer donated significantly to the Clinton Foundation.
Records available on the website of the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation reveal Mylan, the company that manufactures the EpiPen, has donated up to $250,000. The company’s CEO, Heather Bresch, is the daughter of West Virginia democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, a Hillary Clinton supporter. Bresch has seen her salary increase from $2.4 million in 2007 to $18.9 million last year.

Also of note is that in 2014 Mylan made a deal that puts Sen. Manchin in an awkward position. The company essentially makes the Netherlands its headquarters, a move that allows its tax bill to be significantly lower. That's a practice known as inversion, and it has become a no-no in today's populist era. President Obama called inversions an "unpatriotic loophole."
kurt

chumley

Post by chumley » Sep 19 2016 10:26 am

* Thanks Obama
Highway to hell

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Sep 19 2016 4:47 pm

@chumley
Don't forget Hillary that company is backing her now.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

satillayakker
City, State: Satilla River Basin, GA

Post by satillayakker » Sep 23 2016 5:36 am

Yeah, I especially "appreciate" this since I have to keep one with me 24/7. Big Pharma is nothing more than a racket. I did a lot of research on drugs I was put on for a health issue, and then another to counter its side effects, then they wanted me on another for those........Fact is, I could not find a single drug, looking at hundreds, that did not cause more issues than they solved. It is mostly chemicals that are not natural!
The epi is different, it is a chemical your body makes and is made very inexpensively. A PHARMACIST FRIEND EVEN TOLD ME TO BE CAREFUL OF MOST DRUGS, AS IT IS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE!!!! My current doctor (who did not put me on all these drugs) even endorses natural healing first!!! I started a juicing detox and the symptoms I was being "treated" for went away. Few doctors go this route because they are simply in Big Pharma's pocket. The big problem now, even that I am off the drugs, I still have allergic reactions to pollens that I never had until I was put on the first drugs to begin with!!!

flagscott
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Sep 23 2016 7:36 am

Widowmaker wrote:@chumley
Don't forget Hillary that company is backing her now.
...and yet she's released a plan to end price gouging by big pharma (unlike Trump). Just because rich people/corporations donate to a candidate doesn't make it a bribe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... old-drugs/

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Sep 23 2016 7:56 am

:bdh:
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Return to “Political”