State Route 88 - Apache Trail closed

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

State Route 88 - Apache Trail closed

Post by chumley » Sep 26 2019 7:34 am

PHOENIX – State Route 88 has reopened between milepost 204, east of Apache Junction, and milepost 213, Tortilla Flat, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.

The highway remains closed between milepost 213 and the State Route 188 junction due to flooding and cleanup work. There is no estimated time to reopen the remaining section of highway.
Photos posted on social media by the Apache Lake Marina show some severe road washouts, and reports that there is currently no way in or out of the marina.
https://www.azfamily.com/weather/arizon ... d4881.html
Profound observer

mazatzal
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: State Route 88 - Apache Trail closed

Post by mazatzal » Sep 26 2019 2:14 pm

chumley wrote:reports that there is currently no way in or out of the marina.
Seaplane?

chumley

Post by chumley » Sep 27 2019 4:26 pm

ADOT posted a drone video on their socials. I’m having a tough time imagining a way that Fish Creek Hill will open anytime soon.

Sorry, couldn’t find a non-fb source for this one yet.

https://www.facebook.com/AZDOT/videos/2390114741025233/
Profound observer

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Oct 02 2019 6:37 am

I talked with a hydrologist from SRP and one of my friends with the Forest Service over the weekend and both are saying that the road may not be open for at least a year and could go longer depending on funds for repair. An interactive map on ADOT's home page has the Apache Trail closed at both ends. There is a steel gate at the Tortilla Flat creek crossing with a combination lock to prevent cars/trucks from going further on the road. Louie at the Bluebird told me that there's a lot of heavy truck traffic on the road mostly hauling dirt for road repair.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 02 2019 7:50 am

@AZLumberjack
That doesn't surprise me at all.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on ADOT working on the east side repairs to make access to Apache Lake possible from Roosevelt.

I fear that Fish Creek Hill, on the other hand, may never open. Clearing the road from the landslide is no big deal. But stabilizing the hillside above the roadway so that it doesn't happen again ... that may be a feat of engineering that the budget can't justify for what is essentially nothing more than a scenic drive. It will be interesting ...
Profound observer

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Oct 02 2019 10:43 am

@chumley
I had similar thoughts after seeing the drone footage that ADOT put up. Clearing flood-deposited debris off the road is one thing, making Fish Hill safe, where the road traverses essentially a talus slope, is a much bigger challenge.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack » Oct 03 2019 5:46 am

As of last night, the access to Apache Lake from 188 has now been opened. The road beyond the marina remains closed.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack » Oct 03 2019 5:52 am

chumley wrote:I fear that Fish Creek Hill, on the other hand, may never open. Clearing the road from the landslide is no big deal. But stabilizing the hillside above the roadway so that it doesn't happen again ... that may be a feat of engineering that the budget can't justify for what is essentially nothing more than a scenic drive. It will be interesting ...
That's a big concern among the businesses along the Apache Trail, they're already putting a petition together to address the need for the road and the traffic that supports those businesses.

chumley

Post by chumley » Oct 03 2019 7:27 am

The east side is open now from Roosevelt to Apache Lake Marina. According to the map, the closure does not allow access to the Reavis north trailhead yet.
https://azdot.gov/adot-news/sr-88-reope ... ake-marina
Profound observer

Return to “Road Conditions”