I-10 Eloy to Picacho

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

I-10 Eloy to Picacho

Post by chumley » Jun 09 2020 7:27 pm

The all new variable speed limit section is ready to try to fix stupid.

$6.5 million in electronic speed limit signs, dust detection sensors, weather radar, speed feedback signs, and overhead message boards are now in place to help blind drivers make better decisions.

ADOT saved the money quote for the end of the story.
None of the technology can replace common sense when it comes to driving in dust storms.
:lol:

Read all about it here.
https://azdot.gov/adot-news/first-its-k ... et-monsoon
Not guilty plea on all 3 counts

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: I-10 Eloy to Picacho

Post by big_load » Jun 09 2020 7:34 pm

chumley wrote: to help blind drivers make better decisions.
They need to do something to help all the other drivers, too. I dislike driving that stretch of road under any circumstances. I'll take NJ drivers over the Phoenix-to-Tucson insanity every time.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 09 2020 7:41 pm

@big_load
That stretch is really nice now. Three lanes makes a big difference.
In 2037 when they get the 3rd lane between Chandler and Casa Grande done, the whole trip will be pleasant!

big_load

Post by big_load » Jun 09 2020 7:48 pm

chumley wrote:That stretch is really nice now. Three lanes makes a big difference.
It seemed better when I drove it November, but I chalked that up to being more freshly away from my desk.

I sometimes have nightmares about when my brother-in-law's Greyhound-sized RV broke a drive shaft in Marana. We found a piece of vacuum cleaner pipe and some wire clothes hangers on the shoulder, spliced it together with traffic whizzing by, and drove back to Phoenix with Mrs. big_load's whole family inside. We never told them what we fixed.

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot » Jun 09 2020 7:48 pm

Some 4 months ago I noticed the speed limit signs actually turned on in one section (not the whole thing), I didn't find them blinding or distracting. It was during the morning though after the sun had come up. Are there flashing lights or something that turn on in a dust storm? That would be distracting.

I agree that the third lane helps, if only flagstaff to tucson could be 3 lanes the whole way. I find the flagstaff to phoenix drive on sunday evenings worse than returning from tucson to phoenix on weekends, but both are pretty bad.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

big_load

Post by big_load » Jun 09 2020 7:56 pm

nonot wrote:I find the flagstaff to phoenix drive on sunday evenings worse than returning from tucson to phoenix on weekends, but both are pretty bad.
That's no fun, either.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 09 2020 8:20 pm

nonot wrote:the flagstaff to phoenix drive
ADOT should implement a similar system that detects wildfires between SR69 and New River.

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Jun 09 2020 9:25 pm

[ youtube video ]

And don't forget, if you pull off the road as far as possible, turn off your lights and get your foot off the brake. Better yet, just shut down.
Onward into oblivion!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 10 2020 5:10 am

@chumley
@big_load
@nonot
I have an idea! Just don't come up here on weekends!

:D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Post by Jim_H » Jun 10 2020 6:33 am

Agreed. Do what I do and go midweek. You'll enjoy it more, have fewer crowds, and the traffic is a breeze.
Reaching new standards in excelence.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 11 2020 4:27 pm

@Jim_H
Ha, midweek is stupid too. Every single dispersed Camping Spot that you could see from FR 128 between Lake Mary Road and where it gets into 4x4 condition, was taken up by either RV's, Vans, Tent Campers, Truck Campers, you name it. I couldn't believe it. There must have been over 100 vehicles of some sort in that section. Sandy's Canyon TH lot was full and overflowing at 2:30 in the afternoon. If this is what Wednesdays look like Liz, don't worry, I won't be anywhere near there on a weekend. And I will continue to "start" my Hikes up there by 6:00 a.m.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 11 2020 4:33 pm

@outdoor_lover
Dang. I've been staying in my motorhome at Canyon Vista Campground since Monday morning. Wish I had known you were around. Hiked a bit of Sandy's Canyon yesterday, starting from the campground. Road biked Lake Mary Road today. I'll be heading back to Doney Park on Monday, probably.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 11 2020 4:39 pm

@azbackpackr
Wow, amazed we didn't run into you in Sandy's. But we were out by 2:30. I thought you were permanently over at Doney Park, so it didn't occur to me that you were in the area. I would have stopped by after we had a late lunch since I went back to Lake Mary and dinked around before heading home.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 11 2020 5:28 pm

@outdoor_lover
Looking at my photos, to see what time I took them, I was hiking down into the canyon just before 2:30. Passed a group of 3 women who were hiking out, and other small family groups. Maybe we just didn't recognize one another?

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 11 2020 8:17 pm

@azbackpackr
We missed you by just minutes most likely. We were at the cars by 2:30 at the latest, might have been a little before.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 12 2020 4:48 am

@outdoor_lover
I might have passed you. I saw LosDosSloFolks photos. I have borderline prosopagnosia, so not recognizing people happens to me all the time. It's so bad sometimes it has brought me to tears at work, because I get people mixed up all the time. A lot of people look the same to me. Anyway I stepped way off the trail whenever I encountered anyone that day, but greeted everyone I saw.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 12 2020 7:19 am

@outdoor_lover
Maybe it's where you go? I saw no one and I mean no one when I was out west of Kendrick Mountain camping two weeks ago. Traffic on the interstates was not too bad, too. Going home last Friday afternoon I was fine, but traffic on northbound I-17 was horrible.

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 12 2020 8:17 am

How close to Eloy or Picacho on I-10 is all this fun happening? :sweat:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jun 12 2020 8:42 am

@Chumley Well, if the Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce advertising can be believed, Eloy is just minutes from Flagstaff.

cactuscat

Post by cactuscat » Jun 12 2020 12:57 pm

@Jim_H
Well, technically Everything is just minutes from Flagstaff ... I'm currently just 285 minutes from there myself.
Where is the "dislike" button?

Return to “Road Conditions”