Linked Area/Label none
AZLOT69
Guides: 175 | Official Routes: 170
Triplogs Last: 18 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 4,353 days ago
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

SR 88 - Apache Trail

Post by AZLOT69 »

Wikipedia wrote:The Apache Trail in Arizona was a stagecoach trail that ran through the Superstition Mountains. It was named the Apache Trail after the Apache Indians who originally used this trail to move through the Superstition Mountains.

The current Apache Trail links Apache Junction (33.4152°N 111.5807°W) at the edge of the Greater Phoenix area with Theodore Roosevelt Lake (33.6725°N 111.1531°W), through the Superstition Mountains and the Tonto National Forest.

Today, the majority of Apache Trail remains unpaved, turning into a dirt road a few miles up from Tortilla Flat, and continuing as such for nearly the full remainder of its length. The section east of Apache Junction is known officially as State Route 88. It is also the main traffic corridor through Apache Junction, turning into Main Street as the road passes into Mesa, and regains the Apache name by becoming Apache Boulevard in Tempe, ending at Mill Avenue. Prior to the completion of the Superstition Freeway in 1992, the Apache Junction portion of the Apache Trail was part of US Highway 60, which was rerouted to the Superstition Freeway once it was completed.

The Trail winds steeply through 40 miles (64 km) of rugged desert mountains, past deep reservoir lakes like Canyon Lake and Apache Lake. The narrow, winding road is unpaved from just east of the town of Tortilla Flat to Roosevelt Dam; there are steep cliff drops and little in the way of safety barriers. The trail requires caution when driving and it is not recommended for large RVs, SUVs, or caravans. Some large RV rental companies in the US do not allow their vehicles to be taken on this route.
The Apache Trail will be closed for some major road repairs from November 15 - January 21, 2011. major delays will occur prior to and after those stated dates. Plan your outings accordingly.

See press release: http://www.azdot.gov/highways/projects/ ... 101510.pdf
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 21 2018 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain
ultrazona
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 3
Triplogs Last: 30 days ago | RS: 9
Water Reports 1Y: 27 | Last: 30 days ago
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: SR 88 - Apache Trail

Post by ultrazona »

ALMAL wrote: Jul 19 2021 8:00 am @chumley
Can you make it through on a MTB currently?
I am curious about this also. Anyone have any guidance?
chumley
Guides: 84 | Official Routes: 201
Triplogs Last: 22 days ago | RS: 40
Water Reports 1Y: 1 | Last: 22 days ago
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

33s over 45s
chumley

Post by chumley »

https://highways.dot.gov/federal-lands/ ... ache-trail

The feds are repairing the Apache Trail! (no @superstitionguy, not that section)
The Federal Highway Administration... is proposing improvements to a 11.16-mile, gravel section of the Apache Trail (Arizona State Route [SR] 88) between milepost (MP) 229.2 near the Apache Lake Marina and MP 240.6 near the Theodore Roosevelt Dam. The proposed improvements include applying an aggregate base and a chip seal pavement to an 11.16-mile section of the roadway.
Pavement. Pfancy!
33s over 45s
xsproutx
Triplogs Last: 51 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 26 | Last: 17 days ago

Post by xsproutx »

I see that someone made a comment here a while ago that it was open from the East to the northern Reavis trailhead but when I go to the 511 site, it makes it look like it's closed a bit farther East than that. Can anyone confirm that they've seen if it's actually open to the point you could get to the TH?
nonot
Guides: 98 | Official Routes: 110
Triplogs Last: 77 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 22 | Last: 77 days ago

Post by nonot »

I believe I've seen several instances that refute the post you are referring to. Plus ADOT (az511) still shows the closure just after the marina (still well short of Reavis North access).
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
joebartels
Guides: 250 | Official Routes: 225
Triplogs Last: 10 days ago | RS: 1094
Water Reports 1Y: 19 | Last: 29 days ago

Post by joebartels »

- joe
xsproutx

Post by xsproutx »

@joebartels
Yeh, I saw that, too, but it's a bit of a drive for me so I'd prefer something more than, "a friend told me something" :D Now that things are cooling off a bit, trying to plan on some nice eastern supe backpacking trips as I haven't explored out there... Not sure if my subaru can make the rogers trough TH so trying to plan alternative starting points.
Also, what passenger vehicles are only 60" wide anyway...? Neither my SUV or my mid-size car are and I just googled a some other models and I'm not finding anything. Makes me question that as well
wallyfrack
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 8
Triplogs Last: 7 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 1 | Last: 340 days ago
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack »

@xsproutx If you don't mind adding a mile and an extra 1,000 feet AEG you can hike up the ridge. A good chance of solitude as well.
[ photo ]
chumley

Post by chumley »

xsproutx wrote: Sep 27 2021 12:57 pm what passenger vehicles are only 60" wide anyway...?
OHVs
33s over 45s
xsproutx

Post by xsproutx »

@wallyfrack
Not the preference but a nice option to have if I were to go there and find something closed. I haven't been out there before; when you did this, was there somewhere you could leave your car for a few days?
edit: nevermind. pulled it up on google maps and looks like there is a parking area and you can probably follow most of a wash to the trailhead. Thanks for the heads up!

@chumley
...oh. duh. right.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@xsproutx
The Tonto NF replied to my query this way:
The road is open to restricted access only via foot, motorcycle or horse. This is narrowed down just west of the Apache Marina entrance on Hwy 88.
33s over 45s
xsproutx

Post by xsproutx »

@chumley
Thanks, very much appreciate the reply and checking on that. Kind of disappointing, though; just another restriction making that side of the supes harder to access which is a bummer.
herdbull
Triplogs Last: 678 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ / Silver Cliff, CO

Post by herdbull »

So there's someone on the Supes FB page saying 88 was closed at Tortilla Flats until a few days ago. He stated it's been closed since December of last year? Anyone else heard this? He posted some snipit from some random Forest Service page or something. He's adamant it was closed from Tortilla Flats and not FCH. First I and 100's if not 1000's of others heard of it.
nonot
Guides: 98 | Official Routes: 110
Triplogs Last: 77 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 22 | Last: 77 days ago

Post by nonot »

For about 4-6 months after the rockslide it was closed at tortilla flats. Then the closure was changed to the top of FCH as the rest of the way to the top of Fish Creek Hill was cleared and reopened (I don't really think much clearing was needed.) It has been closed at the top of FCH for perhaps 1.5 years now (?)
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
herdbull

Post by herdbull »

@nonot
exactly. He's claiming the Forest Service closed 88 past Tortilla Flats up until just a few days ago.
no avatar
DixieFlyer
Guides: 60 | Official Routes: 54
Triplogs Last: 4 days ago | RS: 4
Water Reports 1Y: 25 | Last: 13 days ago
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

herdbull wrote:So there's someone on the Supes FB page saying 88 was closed at Tortilla Flats until a few days ago
a good rule of thumb is to ignore anything hiking related that you see on facebook...the stupidity on facebook is almost beyond belief sometimes
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
xsproutx

Post by xsproutx »

DixieFlyer
True story. The amount of people who go to facebook to ask things like "is there a fire ban?" vs doing a quick google search (admittedly, the FS sites suck but it's not hard) show that you can't rely on people there (unless you're looking for medical advise, then obbbbbbbbbviously facebook makes sense)
SuperstitionGuy
Triplogs Last: 225 days ago | RS: 0
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

Yes it is open all the way to the lookout/parking area/cell towers at the top of Fish Creek Hill. It still is a beautiful drive and gets some snowbird traffic but not as much as it did in years past. There is numerous side roads for access to adventure but you need a something better than a standard car. You will see some fire damage but it is growing back where the fire reached the road.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
big_load
Guides: 0 | Official Routes: 1
Triplogs Last: 1,112 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 1,112 days ago
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Is somebody cleaning up disinformation on Facebook? That's going to take a while.
herdbull

Post by herdbull »

@big_load
I tried but he's not backing down but yet couldn't link anything to provide truth to what he was saying. I'm up there a couple times just about every week and I've never heard about this closure. I scoured the Forest Service page and it's archives to no avail. But he's still telling me I'm wrong. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid I guess.

Return to “Road Conditions”