FR 68D - Reimer Springs Rd (Dugas)

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Reimer Peak, AZ
Linked Areas none
JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

FR 68D - Reimer Springs Rd (Dugas)

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 10 2017 12:13 pm

Hi all, does anyone know the condition of Reimer Springs Rd (fr 68D) heading north from Dugas Road? I'm looking to access some areas off that road, specifically Reimer Peak and the plateau south of it, and I'm curious how much hiking will be involved. I drive a Subaru Forester.

As a more general question, I am planning to explore the rolling hills east of i-17 between Dugas Rd and hwy 169, and Dugas/Reimer seem to be the best access. Any other ideas for gaining access to that area would be greatly appreciated. The catch - accomplishing this over several short trips vs one long backpack/dayhike would be preferred, hence my curiosity on road access.

Thanks!
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 25 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

JoelHazelton

Re: Reimer Springs Rd / FR 68D near Dugas

Post by JoelHazelton » Apr 16 2017 12:19 pm

For future reference for anyone else with a similar inquiry: I drove the length of Reimer Springs Rd this weekend in my Subaru Forester. From Dugas Rd north to Reimer Peak is not bad. A couple washouts that require careful navigation, but nothing too bad for medium clearance if you have a little bit of experience. North of Reimer Peak to Cienega Creek the road consistently degrades. Still possible without any real issue, but it gets real annoying for a vehicle like mine where you need to constantly navigate around rocks and washouts. A couple steep, rocky hills where my AWD came in handy. A lightweight rear-wheel drive may spin out a couple times making it up one or two of the hills. Overall gorgeous country, especially this time of year when the grass is green and the flowers are blooming. Hiking in the area is either on jeep roads, or is off-trail and rocky and full of shindaggers. Slightly rugged for what appears to be a very forgiving area.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Alston_Neal

Re: Reimer Springs Rd / FR 68D near Dugas

Post by Alston_Neal » Apr 17 2017 11:02 am

It's an interesting area. I've been going east of 68D in the Arnold Canyon area and I want to hit Reimer Peak.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Return to “Road Conditions”