Vekol Road - Table Top Trailhead

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Table Top Trail, AZ
Linked Areas none
princez
City, State: Coatesville, PA

Vekol Road - Table Top Trailhead

Post by princez »

Table Top Trailhead without a car of my own?
Hi,
I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right forum, but anyone have any ideas on how to get to Table Top Trailhead without a car of my own? I'll be in AZ in January and would love to make this hike, but you can't take a rental car on the unpaved roads and I can't seem to find any place that would rent a jeep. How do people who don't have a Jeep/SUV get to places like this?!
Thanks!
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 25 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: VinceZingaro
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Out of towner trying to hike Table Top

Post by hikeaz »

princez wrote: Dec 08 2017 1:41 pm Hi,
I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right forum, but anyone have any ideas on how to get to Table Top Trailhead without a car of my own? I'll be in AZ in January and would love to make this hike, but you can't take a rental car on the unpaved roads and I can't seem to find any place that would rent a jeep. How do people who don't have a Jeep/SUV get to places like this?!
Thanks!
Best is likely Fox rent-a-car near Sky Harbor.
Or..
https://turo.com/rentals/suvs/az/phoeni ... gler/60672
Dollar rents Compasses @ Sky Harbor
Enterprise has Nissan Frontier's
Also check Sixt rent a Car
Most short wheelbase whanna-be SUV's would likely be OK to get there too... (Hyundai SantaFe, RAV4, CRV, etc)
Just hit the carwash before turning it in...oh.... and don't ROLL it :pray:
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by CannondaleKid »

Something to be aware when renting a vehicle using Turo....

Prohibited vehicle uses and activities include:
Using a vehicle rented through Turo other than on paved roads (whether "off-roading", driving on unimproved roads or parking areas, or otherwise)
CannondaleKid
trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by trekkin_gecko »

1. rent an SUV away from the airport - much cheaper
2. @lindaagm and @the_N did this hike recently; maybe one of them will chime in on whether 4wd was needed
3. do [ Quartz Peak Trail - Sierra Estrella ] as a backup hike
LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Table Top Trailhead without a car of my own?

Post by LindaAnn »

4wd was not needed, but the road had some sandy spots. Decent clearance is a good idea, there were some ruts and larger rocks. And while the brush has been trimmed back recently (it was MUCH better than a year ago), expect to get at least a few new pinstripes.
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Table Top Trailhead without a car of my own?

Post by hikeaz »

lindaagm wrote: Dec 08 2017 6:59 pm ...... And while the brush has been trimmed back recently (it was MUCH better than a year ago), expect to get at least a few new pinstripes.
I most always carry loppers... 'better to light a candle than curse the darkness'.
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

Return to “Road Conditions”