Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

I-17

Post by hikeaz »

Short closures on I-17 today
Drivers north of Phoenix will face brief freeway closures Tuesday that will allow a road crew to clear away rocks.

The Arizona Department of Transportation announced Interstate 17 North near Black Canyon City would be blocked off around 10:30 a.m. for about 15 minutes, maybe less. More work would be done at the same site around 1 p.m., lasting 15 min. +/- as well.

Southbound lanes near Sunset Point would follow suit at noon. That closure was expected to last an hour.
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 20 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject of topic in "Road Conditions" should be the road moving forward not a new topic for every announcement
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Re: I-17

Post by azbackpackr »

@DixieFlyer
Yes, and another 112 miles from Globe to where I stay in Tucson. It took me 3 hours 51 minutes to get to Globe, including stops. That was before the Taco Bell stop, also. (I did say I went through Globe and then went on to the Old Pueblo.) Not to mention the fact that the entire highway along by Roosevelt Lake was 45 mph due to the fire damage to the guardrails, and other things. So, that may account for some of the extra 30 min to get from Flag to Globe. Once in the Old Pueblo, I had to get all the way over to near 22nd Wilmot.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.
SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

azbackpackr wrote:Then on to Globe, where I went to that fancy taco joint Campana del Taco (look it up!),
That's why it took you so long! However the Taco's were worth it in the end. :y: :y: :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@SuperstitionGuy
I had two tacos supreme, and kept driving while eating them. They aren't very big these days. They keep getting smaller.

An aside: While living in Oregon in 2017 the legislature there passed a law that it's illegal to eat while driving.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

azbackpackr wrote: Jul 21 2020 5:21 pm
An aside: While living in Oregon in 2017 the legislature there passed a law that it's illegal to eat while driving.
Does that include 'edibles'? :?
"The censorship method ... is that of handing the job over to some frail and erring mortal man, and making him omnipotent on the assumption that his official status will make him infallible and omniscient."
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@hikeaz
I guess you have to smoke instead.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

azbackpackr wrote:Thanks for the post! But I had this notion to go the "back way." I probably won't be doing that again, since it took 6.5 hours! Leaving Flag at 11 a.m., I went down Lake Mary Road to 87, passed through Payson.
I've gone the back way maybe four times. I'm about 50/50 on regretting it and not.
chumley

Post by chumley »

So, back to I-17.

Next year construction begins on a 3rd lane between Anthem and BCC. From BCC to Sunset Point, the S/B side will be expanded to 4 lanes, two of which will be used for N/B traffic during peak N/B times (Friday/Saturday).

With dozens of bridges needing to be rebuilt or widened, and massive amounts of earth moved and retaining walls built, it's hard to believe that this will be completed by 2023 as planned.

In the meantime, I'll be curious to see what a mess of things the construction will result in.

No word yet on the stretch between Sunset Point and SR69, which is also in desperate need of an additional lane.

https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/2 ... 043019.pdf
33s over 45s
garyc57
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by garyc57 »

DixieFlyer wrote:I ALWAYS go the back way
My wife and I prefer the route through Payson when going to/from Flagstaff - even though to/from Mesa it takes an additional 45 minutes. The difference in stress level and scenic views is well worth the time. (Plus, we get to drive over the AZT - twice!)
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

chumley wrote: Jul 21 2020 6:19 pm No word yet on the stretch between Sunset Point and SR69, which is also in desperate need of an additional lane.

https://azdot.gov/sites/default/files/2 ... 043019.pdf
Eh be patient, give the virus some time, that extra lane might not be as necessary in six months :o
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

garyc57 wrote:The difference in stress level and scenic views is well worth the time.
Yeah, two of the times I took that route just to enjoy the view and the time to myself.
azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr »

@garyc57
@big_load
However, if you are going all the way from Flagstaff to Tucson, that back way is probably not worth the extra two or more hours it takes. It's a great route if you are going to spend the night along the way, and do fun things.
hikeaz

Post by hikeaz »

Interstate 17 weekend travelers in north Phoenix beware. Work to smooth your ride will create some rough delays this weekend (May 21-24. 2021) in areas near the Carefree Highway interchange. I-17 will be narrowed to one lane in either direction at times.

The Arizona Department of Transportation is getting some much-needed resurfacing of I-17 done a week ahead of the busier Memorial Day Weekend. Drivers can expect significant delays at times. They also should allow extra time or consider adjusting travel plans to avoid the following I-17 weekend paving restrictions:

Southbound I-17 narrowed to one lane (HOV lane open) between Dove Valley Road and Dixileta Drive from 10 p.m. Friday, May 21, to 2 a.m. Sunday, May 23.
Northbound I-17 narrowed to one lane (HOV or left lane open) between Dixileta Drive and Pioneer Road from 10 p.m. Saturday, May 22, to 5 a.m. Monday, May 24, for resurfacing. Northbound I-17 on-ramp at SR 74/Carefree Highway closed. Other northbound on- or off-ramps at Loop 303, Dove Valley Road and Carefree Highway will be closed as needed for the paving.

If you work up a powerful thirst during your wait, you can head for the nearby State 48 Rock House or Front Pourch breweries off Happy Valley Rd..
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
friendofThundergod

@hikeaz Thanks. I think I will be changing my plans for the weekend.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@friendofThundergod
This really would only affect folks doing a Saturday hike where the drive home has a restriction.
A Sunday hike most driving north would leave early enough to avoid delays, and an overnight trip from Friday or Saturday to Sunday doesn't have any restrictions at all.
I applaud ADOTs attempt to work around the primary travel times and directions.
33s over 45s
friendofThundergod

@chumley Thank you for explaining to me how the days of the weekend work, and detailing your happiness with ADOT, not sure why I was tagged, but thank you, I guess.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@friendofThundergod
I'm sorry. I'll try better next time.
33s over 45s
Pivo
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Pivo »

chumley wrote:I'm sorry. I'll try better next time.
@friendofThundergod
I wouldn't count on it.
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

I would agree with Chums that someone in ADOT actually used their brain, regarding putting the closure schedule together (which seems a rare thing nowadays.)
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
chumley

Post by chumley »

nonot wrote: May 18 2021 6:11 pm I would agree with Chums ... which seems a rare thing nowadays.
I concur! :lol: :sweat:
33s over 45s
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

23-mile construction project anticipated to begin in 2022
A_Dot wrote:September 13, 2021

PHOENIX – Following a comprehensive procurement process, the Arizona Department of Transportation has entered into negotiations with the apparent preferred developer to design, construct, operate and maintain improvements to Interstate 17 between Anthem Way and Sunset Point, a major stretch of highway that sees more than one million travelers every year.

After an extensive review process, Kiewit-Fann Joint Venture has been selected as the preferred developer. Key members of the development team include Kiewit Infrastructure West Co.; Fann Contracting Inc.; Kiewit Engineering Group Inc.; DBI Services LLC; CONSOR Engineers LLC dba Apex Design; T.Y. Lin International; Lee Engineering; Terracon Consultants Inc.; Wheat Design Group, Inc.; Y2K Engineering; and Pinyon Environmental Inc.

For years, Arizona motorists, businesses and tourists have voiced their support for widening and improving I-17 north of the metro-Phoenix region to alleviate congestion and improve traffic flow. This project will improve 23 miles of I-17, including 15 miles of roadway widening, two bridge replacements, one bridge deck replacement, 10 bridge widenings, and the installation of an eight-mile flex lane system — a new feature for Arizona’s highway system. Flex lanes are proven technology to help reduce congestion on I-17 during peak travel times and allow for traffic movement during emergency situations.

ADOT sought proposals from qualified developer teams interested in reconstructing the 23-mile section of this key commerce corridor. Three finalists were selected earlier this year to advance through the selection process. All three finalists were encouraged to use innovation and develop alternative concepts to deliver the best possible design, construction, operation and maintenance strategy for the project.

The final cost will be determined after extensive contract negotiations.

“Arizonans are excited to see major improvements to Interstate 17 coming soon, and today’s news is an important step forward,” said Governor Doug Ducey. “I-17 is a critical link to northern Arizona communities and a vital economic corridor. Expanding this section of I-17 will reduce congestion, improve traffic flow and strengthen public safety. Millions of Arizonans will benefit from I-17’s improved connectivity and reliability when this project is completed.”

ADOT has begun contract negotiations, and, pending a final contract, anticipates design and construction will begin in 2022. Construction is expected to take approximately three years. Construction crews are aiming to minimize impacts to the traveling public while work is underway. On busy days, this stretch of Interstate 17 can see more than 50,000 drivers a day.

“The vision of the Arizona Department of Transportation is moving Arizona to become the most reliable transportation system in the nation,” said ADOT Director John Halikowski. “The I-17 project represents that vision and is a profound step toward enhancing the safety and efficiency of one of Arizona’s most iconic highways. ADOT is committed to innovative solutions to improve our highways, and this unique and creative project is a perfect example. It supports ADOT’s True North of getting everyone safely home.”

The I-17 flex lanes will operate as a separate, two-lane roadway carrying one direction of traffic at a time depending on the greatest need along the steep, winding eight miles between Black Canyon City and Sunset Point. For example, the flex lanes will be able to carry heavier northbound traffic on a Friday or heavy southbound traffic on a Sunday. Similarly, ADOT will be able to open the flex lanes to accommodate traffic anytime if a crash or other incident causes long delays. The flex lanes will be next to, but physically separated from southbound I-17 using concrete barriers. Access to the flex-lane entrances will be controlled by gates.

In February, Governor Ducey announced $40 million in funding for the I-17 project from higher-than-anticipated revenue amid Arizona’s strong economic recovery and federal COVID-relief funds. Additional project funding sources include $130 million of state highway funds appropriated by the state legislature in 2019; a $90 million Infrastructure for Rebuilding America (INFRA) grant; $50 million programmed by the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) for the Maricopa County portion of this project; and $52.3 million from federal aid with matching state highway funds.
- joe

Return to “Road Conditions”