Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

WB US60 to close in Tempe

Post by hikeaz » Jul 10 2018 7:56 am

The westbound stretch of US 60 (Superstition Freeway) in Tempe will be closed this weekend (July 13-16) as part of an ongoing safety project designed to improve traffic flow and reduce crashes between Rural Road and the Interstate 10 interchange, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.

Westbound US 60 will be closed between Loop 101 and I-10 from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday, July 16, for lane striping, sign changes and other improvements. The westbound US 60 on-ramp at Dobson Road will be closed. The eastbound I-10 left two lanes between Broadway Road and US 60, eastbound off-ramp at Baseline Road and eastbound HOV-lane ramp between I-10 and eastbound US 60 also will be closed.
kurt

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: WB US60 to close in Tempe

Post by big_load » Jul 10 2018 11:57 am

Yikes! That should gum up the surface roads a bit.

Espi
Barley Connoisseur

Post by Espi » Jul 10 2018 1:05 pm

I drive that stretch every day. You would not believe the amount of accidents that occur there. I always wondered if Tempe FD just staged an engine on the on-ramp to the 60 WB at Mill. Its literally every day.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jul 10 2018 1:24 pm

Most of you will not remember but the bottle neck on that stretch of the Freeway was caused by the City of Tempe refusing to work with ADOT so that additional land could be acquired to provide more lanes of traffic. This was many years ago and the public has had to pay the price with their insurance, limbs and sometimes their lives. I do not remember who the Mayor of Tempe was at that time but he it was who refused to cooperate all for the sake of a few citizens homes bordering the then freeway rightaway.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

hikeaz
Socialpelli

Post by hikeaz » Jul 10 2018 3:24 pm

I believe it was Hallman who was against adding WB US60 lanes without also constructing more I-10 lanes to accept the wider 60 *. As we can see, he was/is correct. This ADOT gyration is merely another 'treat the symptom, not the disease' move. Akin to those white, plastic posts to delineate the I-10 E ramp lane.
As a 34 year Tempe local I would argue that he was the brightest Mayor Tempe has ever had in that time, as well as being a fiscal conservative. Head-and-shoulders above H. Mitchell and Guiliano, his predecessors.
* https://tucson.com/news/opinion/editori ... 82707.html

ADOT has been dinking with this issue for YEARS...https://tucson.com/news/opinion/editori ... 82707.html and they DO have the money http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/news/b ... 5a916.html
Last edited by hikeaz on Jul 10 2018 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kurt

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Jul 17 2018 5:47 pm

So apparently they made the ramp to east(south)bound I-10 two lanes. So now (left to right as traffic moves) the HOV lane goes to PHX, the next lane goes to Tucson, the next lane splits allowing cars to go to either Tucson or PHX, the next two go to PHX, and the far right exits at Priest.

The ramp isn't any wider, so the two lanes that exit to Tucson have zero shoulder on either side in order to accommodate two lanes where there previously was only one. It will be interesting to see if there's any improvement in the rush hour traffic flows.

The two times I've driven it now, traffic has been slower due to both lanes being right up against the concrete barrier. Like every single highway in any east coast city that apparently people here are scared of!
Last edited by chumley on Jul 17 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

Nighthiker
HAZopelli
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Jul 18 2018 7:07 am

One area in Tempe was a very large prehistoric village site, once the 20th century development was vacated the area was excavated for study prior to freeway construction.
jk

Return to “Road Conditions”