FR 287 - Haunted Canyon

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Haunted Canyon #203, AZ
Linked Areas none
Fritzski
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

FR 287 - Haunted Canyon

Post by Fritzski » Sep 14 2003 12:33 pm

Did a little exploring in the jeep the other day.

Took FR 287 north from the Haunted Cyn / steel bridge area up to Horrell Ranch. Good road with some large puddles, but high clearance should have no problem. The ranch is a regular estate with almost a mansion on it and looks to be in full operation. Go thru two gates close to each other right by the ranch which can be easily spotted from afar by two giant Italan cypress trees.

From there I wanted to see if I could get to a couple obscure and rarely used trailheads going west to the end of FR305 and then NW on FR306 to Musk Hog Spring. The unmarked turn onto FR305 is just beyond the ranch entrance and starts on a well maintained road that continues to degrade all the way to the TH till it becomes a definite 4X4 only. Lots of washouts along the way. There is one sign along the way and another at the TH alluding to "Horrell Creek TH".

From there up to Musk Hog Spr on FR306 looked better suited to hiking than wheeling. There is a sign that said "Not maintained for public access" and that's probably an understatement.
Last edited by joebartels on Mar 04 2018 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Sep 15 2003 12:00 pm

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how the access was after the recent rain storm. Planning atrip for the area in two weeks.
jk

no avatar
Hikertrasharizona
City, State: pinedale az

Road to Haunted Canyon

Post by Hikertrasharizona » Mar 04 2018 8:38 pm

So been lurking for some time now but finally decided to join in on the fun lol. We plan on hiking haunted canyon to the Tony's cabin area soon. Any advice etc. Is appreciated. But mainly wondering about the road into the trail. How bad is it. Some folks say it's wicked. We drive 2wd Nissan Xterra it makes it most places with ease but the wife whom is the driver like to know what she is getting into. Thanks folks.
Last edited by Hikertrasharizona on Mar 04 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hikerdw
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Re: FR 287 - Haunted Canyon

Post by hikerdw » Mar 04 2018 8:57 pm

@Hikertrasharizona Road conditions on FR 287 are excellent. You will have no issues driving your 2wd Xterra.

no avatar
Hikertrasharizona
City, State: pinedale az

Post by Hikertrasharizona » Mar 04 2018 9:23 pm

@hikerdw
Hey thanks a bunch

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 05 2018 6:42 am

@Hikertrasharizona
If you pay a little extra attention to the signs as you drive through the Pinto Mine complex you'll be fine.
CannondaleKid

Return to “Road Conditions”