Superstition Access

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mikedsmith
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ and Chesterfield, England

Superstition Access

Post by mikedsmith » Nov 07 2003 6:01 am

Hi. I'm a vacation visitor to AZ, and will be making my annual pilgrimage in December.

Has passenger [rental] car access been sorted out to any of the trailheads apart from First Water & Peralta? [Seems to have been expected for years]

Many thanks, will help with my hike planning.

Mike

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Nov 07 2003 9:17 am

You should be able to get to both easily.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

chihiggs
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

car access

Post by chihiggs » Nov 07 2003 11:22 am

Some of the other TH's are accessable by passenger car as well. Heck, just get the insurance and have a blast!! : rambo :

Car accessable (I've seen them there.):

Reavis North (109 North)
Boulder and Tortilla
Miles
Woodbury and Rogers Trough
Higgs

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Re: car access

Post by mttgilbert » Nov 07 2003 12:21 pm

In response to chihiggs' reply:

I have seen passenger cars at rogers trough/woodberry TH but I wouldn't recommend taking one over that road. Most of it is fine but the last mile or so was really washed out the last time I was there.
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

agregc
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by agregc » Nov 07 2003 12:43 pm

One more question, while we're on this subject. How does one get to the Siphon Draw/Flatiron trail these days? The main trailhead is closed for construction, and I saw some mention in the Flatiron trip logs about accessing it from the Discovery trail, but I didn't see that on any of the maps.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Nov 07 2003 1:57 pm

Sorry, I misread the question.

You should be able to get to most of them with a car. Rodgers trough might be tough, but I've seen cars in the parking lot before.

Last time I rented a car, a SUV wasn't that much more money. Might be worth looking into.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Nov 07 2003 2:01 pm

Lost Dutchman is open on the weekends and I think opens back up full time in a few weeks.

You can get to siphon draw via Jacobs crosscut from First water road or the broadway trailhead. Also, I've heard you can park at the mining camp resturant and follow a path that connects to siphon draw, but I've never done that.

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Nov 08 2003 6:05 am

In response to agregc's reply:

The Discovery Trail is a small, short trail that runs through the Lost Dutchman State Park's camping areas. It has plaques along its way showing visitors what a saguaro cactus or a mesquite tree is. If you enter the park, try to stay to the right as far as you can. The parking lot that you end up in will have a ramada in its middle. To the Southwest will be the discovery trail. Follow it to Siphon Draw's trailhead.
Dog is my co-pilot.

agregc

Post by agregc » Nov 08 2003 10:00 am

In response to Greg Jackson's reply:
Thanks to Greg and Daryl for the responses! Just still a little confused about the Discovery trail directions though. Isn't the Lost Dutchman State Part entrance the one that's closed? When I drove out there last week, they had big signs saying it was closed and the right side of the gate was closed, as well. I drove down a ways and came back, and someone had parked just outside the gate and was walking up from there. I've only been inside those gates once, and I do remember seeing some campgrounds there. Are those the campgrounds you're talking about? If so, I guess my question is, where do you park? Sorry if I'm making this harder than it has to be. Thanks!

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Nov 09 2003 8:43 am

Yep, you have to get into the park to get on the discovery trail. Taking jacobs crosscut from either end will add 2-3 miles to your trip, each way. I'm guessing your best bet is the trail from the minning camp resturant. I've never used it though. If you do use it, let me know how it went.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Nov 09 2003 8:58 am

Access from Mining Camp is not allowed, you have to cross private property and the roads have been closed by Pinal County. It is posted and the Pinal County Sheriff's Dept will cite for trespassing.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Nov 09 2003 1:39 pm

Thanks for the info, I won't waste my time trying now.

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Nov 09 2003 1:53 pm

Hi there,

I live in AJ and I was just at LDSP two weeks ago and they are admitting hikers for access to Siphon Draw from 7 AM on. Access to the old TH is now paved road but is closed due to continuing construction. You can access Siphon Draw from the Discovery Trail which is located at the end of the road past the Cholla & Saguaro day use areas. Follow this trail to the ampitheather/rest room area and you'll see the Siphon Draw TH.

Also drove by LDSP on Saturday 11-8 and the gate wasn't closed. You can always call them to assure they are open for day hiking 480-982-4485.

Trish

agregc

Post by agregc » Nov 09 2003 6:42 pm

Thanks, Trish!

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Nov 09 2003 7:08 pm

De nada! Let me know if you ever want to hike in the Supes. I'm out there almost every weekend with a group or solo.

agregc

Post by agregc » Nov 10 2003 12:45 pm

In response to Trishness' reply: Well, I may very well take you up on that kind offer! I'm thinking about trying that Flatiron hike this Thursday or Friday if you're interested. I know that's not the weekend, but just in case. Should be a good time, if we get any of this rain on Wedneday that the weather forecast is calling for.

mikedsmith
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ and Chesterfield, England

Post by mikedsmith » Dec 10 2003 7:06 am

Thank you all for your help and advice. I've now got a great hike itinerary and I'm really looking forward to being back with you in the Supes. :)

Many thanks

Mike

Return to “Road Conditions”