Moderator: HAZ - Moderators
I haven't been up FR 25A, but I know they hauled a bunch of stuff out of that area on it after the fire so a lot of it was passable. And if approved by the FS, getting past the gates shouldn't be an issue. A machine can get to about half a mile north of the FT 86/260 junction from the north, then the trail drops into the wash and goes over a couple drop offs that don't look very passable. May be able to hang the trail above the wash, I bet that is where it was originally. Have to decide whether rebuilding it where it is or rebuilding the alternate route makes the most sense. And we thought these trails were just "there" . . .Grasshopper wrote:After the fire, wasn't FR25A permanently gated and locked at its intersection with FR25? Prior-to the fire and subsequent FR25A road damage further in, FR25A was a fairly serious 4WD Club Route to it's end at the TR260 intersection area (with TR260 a uphill to connect with the AZT Trail #95 connection).Sredfield wrote: My concern is whether one could get a tracked trail machine into FR Trail 260 from FR 25 via FR 25A. Once at trail 260 you could rebuild quite a bit of trail that really needs it.
I don't really know, but I would guess you would need a beefed-up, modified roll cage installed on a "tracked trail machine" thinking someone could drive that in. It would roll at least 12 times before arriving at the TR260/FR95 intersection and you would never find anyone crazy enough to drive it back out
Where it is makes the most sense to me. Reroute? 86 & 260 seems like a weird jog to the SE and then back west?Sredfield wrote:Have to decide whether rebuilding it where it is or rebuilding the alternate route makes the most sense.
I'm a bit surprised by that because I was told by the FS it was unlikely they would re-open 25A for years if not longer. And when I was out to Mormon Grove TH on October 24 on the way back out I started going north on 25A but within a few hundred yards I came to the locked gate. Next time I drive by the Mesa FS office I'll stop in and ask them about it again.hikerdw wrote:We hiked down 25a on October 26 and did see a few jeeps making there way up.