FR 172 & 172A to Rogers Trough TH

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

FR 172 & 172A to Rogers Trough TH

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 05 2009 8:36 am

The USFS has a road grader and front end loader reworking FS road 172 and 172A. The road grader started from the beginning of 172 at Hewitt Station road and had made it approximately four miles when we passed by him on Tuesday afternoon. The front end loader had been filling in crosswise channels made by running water from the beginning of 172 to almost the top of 172A. When we passed him they were reworking the ruts just below the extremely sharp curve just before 172A tops out before the turn to Rogers Trough Trailhead. My experience with rework on this road is that they will be up there all week. Queen Creek is not flowing and relative easy to cross at this time. Someone traveling this road after this post please give us an update on the grading project and how far they have reworked the road.

General rules for driving this road is as follows. High clearence with rear wheel drive is recommended for 172. High clearence with four wheel drive is recommended for 172A. Front wheel drive vehicles can drive this road but it is not recommended that they tackle the steeper portions of either road as it is very easy to tear up the front tires on the embedded rocks. Vehicles without high clearence should drive only as far as the embedded rocks are low enough in reference to the road surface to allow safe travel. My experience when the road has been recently reworked is that drivers have a tendency to drive to fast and have accidents. There are numerous sharp curves and high spots where you cannot see oncoming traffic. This includes cars, trucks, ATV's and motorcycles. Head on crashes are a real threat under these conditions. Please drive at a safe speed and also be aware of cattle that may be on the road and unwilling to get out of your way.
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 21 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Forest Road 172 & 172A to Rogers Trough TH

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 19 2017 8:31 am

joebartels wrote:16,878.4 yards or
that's 15,433.4 meters if you aren't from the USA. :-s
CannondaleKid

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Dec 19 2017 8:46 am

joebartels wrote:
Dec 19 2017 8:12 am
hikeaz wrote:33 29.048 x 111 3.132
is 16,878.4 yards or 9.59 miles from the junction of Fish Creek & Frog Tanks

if you slap a 1 in front of 3.132 for
33° 29.048, -111° 13.132
puts you 264 yards SSW of Fish Creek on Frog Tanks
Thanks Joe. Like I said... I don't use a GPS...ha.
Last edited by hikeaz on Dec 19 2017 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
kurt

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 19 2017 9:00 am

@joebartels

I'm guessing that was edited because when I first read it the number was 1111 3.132

In any case, as nice as coordinates can be, for those who might be unaware there's a fantastic map here on HikeArizona.com where you can type, enter, paste a whole bunch of different coordinate formats and it'll put a pin on the map for you (though the coordinate entry panel may only be visible on desktop or larger mobile screens).

Some people are more visual than others...

[ custom map :: map ]
Highway to hell

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Dec 19 2017 9:39 am

chumley wrote:though the coordinate entry panel may only be visible on desktop or larger mobile screens
just re-added to the options menu
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: FR 172 & 172A to Rogers Trough TH

Post by cw50must » Mar 01 2018 7:53 pm

Anyone hear about any road closures in the area whether FR 172 or FR 650? I received the following comment via Youtube and trying to determine if there is any truth.

comment - "3/1/18 about 7 miles in and there is a new gate across the road and the new owners do not allow anyone access."

I find it odd that there would be new owners of National Forest land, but I do recall there being some mining activity along FR 650. Some kind of drilling, or something. I looked on the TNF website and didn't see anything about closures in their alert section.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 01 2018 8:45 pm

@cw50must
Since he posted the comment on your Montana Mountain Loop video, he must mean Hewitt Station Road has a 'new' gate. It has been closed for some time due to the dust raised by all the ATV/4x4 traffic.

FYI, there is a large sign at the 'ATV Staging' parking lot across from Picketpost which has a map showing the bypass route, which is FR 252.

Other than that, there is no way FR 172 or FR 650 will be gated due to private property issues... until Resolution Copper begins dumping their mine tailings,that is.
Last edited by CannondaleKid on Mar 01 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannondaleKid

ddgrunning
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning » Mar 02 2018 11:43 am

Does any of this discussion impact access to the Roger's Trough TH? I was planning a hike out there this weekend. Never have been, so not familiar with the roads in the area ....@CannondaleKid

jonathanpatt
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Portal, Arizona

Post by jonathanpatt » Mar 02 2018 12:17 pm

No. If approaching Roger's Trough from the west, the turnoff to the trailhead is before the bypass route. If approaching from the east, there is a bypass around the gated section.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 02 2018 12:42 pm

@ddgrunning
As jonathanpatt said, there are no issues getting to Rogers Trough from the west using FR 172.
If one wishes to drive to the TH on FR 650, just turn in off the US 60 across from Picketpost.
CannondaleKid

mikebowers
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: San Tan Valley, AZ

Post by mikebowers » Mar 02 2018 4:18 pm

@SuperstitionGuy
Dog and I were passing through there last week. I didn't observe any type of road closures. But I did meet a nice Apache (SCA) gentleman that was working on the road. He said they were just doing general maintenance to the road. We waited about 10 minutes behind the digger, while they moved debris and rock from the road. Pleasant drive from Queen Valley all the way to Superior. No issues, other than a small wait, with the drive.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 05 2018 9:45 am

Over the years the Fr 172, 172A and 650 have had rework done on the difficult parts of the road to maintain. Primarily removing embedded rock and covering it with naturally crushed granite fill. Also additional crushed granite fill on the parts of the road that would get rutted when driven on when it was wet. As a result the road remains in better shape even during bad weather and increased use than in past years. Just be careful that you do not overdrive on the road as it is still dangerous and not always safe for two vehicles to pass each other. Be courteous to oncoming traffic and to someone that wants to go faster than you. Oh, and cattle have the right away....
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

Return to “Road Conditions”