FR 172 & 172A to Rogers Trough TH

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

FR 172 & 172A to Rogers Trough TH

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 05 2009 8:36 am

The USFS has a road grader and front end loader reworking FS road 172 and 172A. The road grader started from the beginning of 172 at Hewitt Station road and had made it approximately four miles when we passed by him on Tuesday afternoon. The front end loader had been filling in crosswise channels made by running water from the beginning of 172 to almost the top of 172A. When we passed him they were reworking the ruts just below the extremely sharp curve just before 172A tops out before the turn to Rogers Trough Trailhead. My experience with rework on this road is that they will be up there all week. Queen Creek is not flowing and relative easy to cross at this time. Someone traveling this road after this post please give us an update on the grading project and how far they have reworked the road.

General rules for driving this road is as follows. High clearence with rear wheel drive is recommended for 172. High clearence with four wheel drive is recommended for 172A. Front wheel drive vehicles can drive this road but it is not recommended that they tackle the steeper portions of either road as it is very easy to tear up the front tires on the embedded rocks. Vehicles without high clearence should drive only as far as the embedded rocks are low enough in reference to the road surface to allow safe travel. My experience when the road has been recently reworked is that drivers have a tendency to drive to fast and have accidents. There are numerous sharp curves and high spots where you cannot see oncoming traffic. This includes cars, trucks, ATV's and motorcycles. Head on crashes are a real threat under these conditions. Please drive at a safe speed and also be aware of cattle that may be on the road and unwilling to get out of your way.
Last edited by joebartels on Feb 21 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Re: Forest Road 172 & 172A to Rogers Trough TH

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 08 2014 9:17 am

BEEBEE wrote:I thought about checking it out but it smelled full with out opening the door
:scared: :sk: :yuck:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Apr 08 2014 10:00 pm

Glad to hear it, better the smelly porto potty than the bushes.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 14 2014 2:07 pm

@Sredfield
Is this a little TMI? I observed the facilities yesterday. It is dangerously approaching capacity. There's probably 6-8" clearance between the seat and the, ahem, top of the mountain. :sk:

I would think it needs to be gone by next weekend.
Highway to hell

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 14 2014 2:12 pm

@chumley
Top of the mountain you say? :scared:
Don't worry the coming earthquake during the ride back to Highway 60 will level the load quite well! :sl:

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Apr 14 2014 2:14 pm

chumley wrote:There's probably 6-8" clearance between the seat and the, ahem, top of the mountain
But did you check for depth?

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Apr 14 2014 2:20 pm

Sounds like some "solid" evidence the FS needs to work this into their next budget
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 14 2014 3:28 pm

@friendofThundergod
Yup. Deeper than the 31" antenna on the Xterra. Don't worry though, I put it back on.
Highway to hell

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Apr 14 2014 9:28 pm

chumley wrote:@Sredfield
Is this a little TMI? I observed the facilities yesterday. It is dangerously approaching capacity. There's probably 6-8" clearance between the seat and the, ahem, top of the mountain. :sk:

I would think it needs to be gone by next weekend.
You obviously had not been to Havasupai when they had the old system. If you weren't hovering it was good for another week...
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 15 2014 5:40 am

chumley wrote:Yup. Deeper than the 31" antenna on the Xterra. Don't worry though, I put it back on.
Did that chemical bath take off all the rust? :whistle:

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli

Post by Sredfield » Apr 15 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the update, and the humor.
I'll haul this down the mountain May 3rd, in conjunction with a work event chopping out cat claw on the top end of passage 18.
Shawn

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Apr 16 2014 7:25 am

@Sredfield
Might want to let the EPA know about this, so they can be ready for a possible toxic spill event. :lol:
From the vaults of Jacob Waltz...with a little help from his Buddy Weiser

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Apr 16 2014 7:40 am

If your going to haul it in your pickup truck be sure to have one of those Rhino Industrial Strength bed liners! :sl:

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Nov 28 2014 10:38 am

This from a trip report from WallyFrack:
FR172 & FR172A are in pretty rough shape. The road is passable with high clearance but ruts and loose rock prevail.

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli

Post by Sredfield » Nov 28 2014 12:14 pm

rwstorm wrote:@Sredfield
Might want to let the EPA know about this, so they can be ready for a possible toxic spill event. :lol:
Do you think the EPA would be concerned with the toxic "spill" that lays up in the bushes?
Shawn

no avatar
LoudDog
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Lake Stevens WA

Roger's Trough Trailhead

Post by LoudDog » Dec 18 2014 7:37 am

Was a member here long ago... Will be in AZ for the holidays and doing some hiking. Has anyone been to the Roger's Trough trailhead lately? How bad is the road. It's been about 10 years since I've been there and I remember it can be anywhere from bad to worse in that last little stretch.

joebartels
teva joe

Re: Roger's Trough Trailhead

Post by joebartels » Dec 18 2014 8:30 am

Several have recently declared it's in bad shape compared to normal. It will more depend on your experience and vehicle in my opinion. Seems like a typical outback dirt road that any high clearance truck can negotiate when dry.

One of the ravines crossed in the upper end is rough. The road is typically graded in the spring and deteriorates based on rainfall thereafter. That ravine could probably use some constructed support. Doubt it's stopping many at this point.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
LoudDog
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by LoudDog » Dec 18 2014 8:46 am

thanks!

I have high clearance 4x4 and have done plenty of jeeping so normally i'd not be concerned...

but this is a 3/4 ton truck (ram 2500). My concern is, if I get stuck I'm really stuck. it weighs 5 tons... And I need to drive it back home to the Seattle area so I don't want to break anything!

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Dec 18 2014 9:12 am

@LoudDog
I am just echoing Joe's sentiments, I have seen road very rough, middle of winter and after significant rain, and its is still drive-able..some pull trailers up there at times, so it would have to take a lot to get that road impassable for the vehicle you described..although, a little snow near the top could certainly be a possibility..

Alternatively, you could always consider the Woodbury TH, it would eliminate the roughest part of road to Roger's TH and you can access the same trail systems etc...from there, however, you would be adding some miles to hikes and reaching preferred destination...

no avatar
LoudDog
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by LoudDog » Dec 18 2014 9:37 am

Good idea! Woodbury will be the back up plan if it's too sketchy.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 18 2014 9:53 am

There is one little rightward switchback past the Woodbury TH and about 75% of the way to the top that I don't even try to take in one turn. You'll know it when you get to it. I go up past and to the left, back up pulling hard on the wheel and then proceed easily through the turn. A little 3 point turn maneuver to consider, especially in your RAM 2500. There is one rough spot near the top that if it is in really bad shape you might want to have someone get out and guide you through it. I'm thinking you might not have great visibility from a Ram 2500 cab. But I see no reason that a Ram 2500 4x4 can't make this drive.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Return to “Road Conditions”