FR 300

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides  • Kehl Canyon, AZ  • Kehl Springs Campground, AZ  • Upper Miller Canyon, AZ  • Middle Miller Canyon, AZ  • Hi Fuller Canyon, AZ  • Crackerbox Canyon, AZ  • Blue Ridge - AZT #27, AZ  • Cabin Loop - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Railroad Tunnel Trail #390, AZ  • Fred Haught Trail #141, AZ  • Mogollon Rim Viewpoints Loop - via 300D-300L, AZ  • Camp Grasshopper - Mogollon Rim-C/Site#4, AZ  • Bear Canyon Upper - West Bear Canyon Loop, AZ  • Box Canyon - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Bear Canyon Upper - East Bear Canyon Loop, AZ  • Barbershop Trail #91, AZ  • Merritt Draw Upper Loop - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Barbershop Cyn Upper - Merritt Draw Upper Loop, AZ  • Merritt Draw, AZ  • Bear Canyon (Upper) - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Barbershop Canyon Upper, AZ  • Myrtle Point 7920, AZ  • Upper Buck Spring Canyon - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Bill McClintock Draw (Upper), AZ  • Babe Haught from FR300 - Knoll Lake Loop, AZ  • General Crook Trail #140 - Apache SitgreavesNF, AZ  • Gentry Canyon, AZ  • Open Draw - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Knoll Lake Campground, AZ  • East Leonard Canyon, AZ  • Turkey Creek - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Horton Springs Trail #292, AZ  • Beaver Canyon - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Beaver Turkey Ridge Wildlife Quiet Area, AZ  • Fairchild Draw, AZ  • Merritt Draw Riparian Area - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Barbershop Cyn Upper Loop - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Merritt Draw Loop (Middle) - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Merritt Draw Upper, AZ  • Merritt - Barbershop Short Loop, AZ  • McFarland Spring - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Merritt Draw Loop (Mid-Lower) - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Camp Grasshopper - Mogollon Rim-C/Site#3, AZ  • Camp Grasshopper - Mogollon Rim-C/Site#2, AZ  • Barbershop Cyn & Dane Cyn - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Maverick Canyon - Merritt Draw Loop, AZ  • Merritt Draw Loop (Lower) - Mogollon Rim, AZ  • Houston Bros Trail #171 / McFarland Spr Loop, AZ  • Promontory Butte 7,914, AZ
Linked Areas none
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

FR 300

Post by Nighthiker »

Had some coworkers come back from camping at Knoll Lake. Road was quite rough on the way in but as they were leaving a roadgrader was working on the road just west of Woods Canyon Lake.
jk
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: FR 300

Post by big_load »

Why is it you always see a roadgrader on the way out? :sl:
paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard »

The weekend we went from Woods Canyon Lake to Strawberry it was very washboarded the whole way.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

In my experience, you will find the road grader parked at its summer "home-base" on the corner of FR300 and FR34 (between Bear Canyon and Woods Canyon Lakes). I've only seen it actually operating one time though. Even on weekdays.

I once did some research on what causes washboards/how they form. Fascinating. And it has nothing to do with rain or runoff. Exactly the opposite.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield »

chumley wrote:I once did some research on what causes washboards/how they form. Fascinating. And it has nothing to do with rain or runoff. Exactly the opposite.
Tell us!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels »

over here...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5346

Now back to your local FR300 programming
- joe
Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots »

I just read this on the Coconino site:
Beginning September 27th there will be construction on the Rim Road (FR 300) from State Highway 87 all the way to the forest boundary to replace all of the culverts. Contractors expect the process to take approximately 60 days. Expect some traffic delays.
I'm planning on driving that area this weekend. Has anyone been through this construction yet?
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper »

Tough_Boots wrote:I'm planning on driving that area this weekend. Has anyone been through this construction yet?
Six of us were here (9/28-10/3) in on FR300/Hwy87 for 20 miles (to as far as FR137) with no evidence of any culverts construction goings on.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")
Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots »

@Grasshopper
good news! Thanks!
chumley

Post by chumley »

Yeah, it was all clear up there. But even if they are working on the culverts, don't expect too much of a problem. Especially on weekends. This is a government contract. That means its a M-F 10-2 with a lunch break kind of workday.
Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur »

We drove FR 300 all the way from 87 to 260 on the 2nd of Oct and couldn't see any signs of anything going on yet. But we saw the signs saying that they were going to be working there... I didn't see anything then....
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--
chumley

Post by chumley »

Culverts have been replaced on the first 5 miles or so of FR300. The "base camp" for construction is at the Baker Butte road right now, but I could see that moving toward Kehl Springs soon since they've finished all the work in that area.

Basically, they are digging up each culvert and removing the old rusty pipe and replacing it with a shiny new one, shoring up the entrance/exits with rock, and then covering it up again.

I was there on Saturday, so there was no work going on and nothing to slow traffic down, but I could see a potential delay of an hour or two if you catch them on a weekday and they've just dug the road open!
Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots »

On Saturday I noticed a couple spots where "road closed" signed were moved off the road. I would assume if these are in place at all during the week, this could really ruin someone's day.
chumley

Post by chumley »

East-side (A-S) Rim Road has been graded and resurfaced in recent weeks (still ongoing between 115 and the CNF boundary). Mostly just graded with a new gravel top layer, but the section from near Promontory Point to west of the power lines, the roadbed has been excavated, and it has received the addition of a 3"-4" red clay-like base, steamrolled, topped with new gravel, plus some culvert/drainage infrastructure work. In particular, the once bone-jarring coconino slabs near the power lines viewpoint is now Corvette-friendly. I'm not sure I've ever seen the road in as nice condition as it is right now. (Washboards will surely develop in the weeks ahead, but at least the roadbed has been solidified, so the ruts and rocks are gone.)
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

chumley wrote: the once bone-jarring coconino slabs near the power lines viewpoint is now Corvette-friendly.
The technical off roading term is Prius Rated. So on the scale of 1-10, this is a one.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
markthurman53
City, State: Tucson, Arizona

Post by markthurman53 »

@Alston_Neal
That's how I rate it. Is the road Priusable or do I need to take the jeep.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@Alston_Neal
I find it sad that the venerable Toyota brand--home of the very capable off-road Land Cruiser, FJ, Taco, and 4Runner--also creates the antithesis of those. But alas, Prius-rated is a universally-understood term. (Likely more for what it says about the driver than the vehicle itself, but that's another subject altogether :stp: )
FWIW, I did see a Cadillac DTS cruising the road at about 50mph, seemingly without a care in the world. And I'm certain that JJ could show that road a thing or two about a German luxury ride.
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

@Alston_Neal
Q: How do you know if someone owns a Prius?
A: They'll tell you.
Stop dreaming about a better yesterday.
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

@LosDosSloFolks
My dearest and sweetest friend has owned a Prius for what truly seems an eternity. She is constantly telling me her mileage and after a few years I finally said YES this is why you bought it and I bought my dinosaur consuming FJ based on how many miles I can be away from a Prius. Thankfully we're still friends and I don't get the mileage report anymore. So wait, what was this forum post about again?
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots »

LosDosSloFolks wrote:Q: How do you know if someone owns a Prius?
A: They'll tell you.
Same joke can be told about Jeep and FJ owners.

Return to “Road Conditions”