FR650 Montana to Top of the World

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
mikedsmith
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ and Chesterfield, England

FR650 Montana to Top of the World

Post by mikedsmith » Feb 23 2012 6:58 pm

Anyone know - what is the condition of this road, runs from FR650 to Top of the World.

Many thanks

Mike

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: FR 342

Post by Grasshopper » Feb 23 2012 7:43 pm

mike.d.smith wrote:Anyone know - what is the condition of this road, runs from FR650 to Top of the World.

Many thanks

Mike
Are you referring to FR342?.. http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=1556 We drove 1/4ml up it on 12/23/11 then turned around due to more pressing priorities for the day.
I believe present road condition status for this popular 4WD off-road club route would be more readily available from some of the local 4WD clubs. I would be surprised if anyone on HAZ has recently or ever driven this one. Maybe our CannondaleKid with his modified Samurai would be up for this one, then posting us an update :)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Road Conditions - How this category works

Post by joebartels » Feb 23 2012 8:47 pm

@mike.d.smith I was last there in 2006 with a stock 4wd Tacoma. Seems from Top of the World to the mine was good. Mainly needed the 4wd for one steep semi rutted incline after the mine. Then some assurance areas. I wouldn't go without 4wd and I wouldn't hesitate with 4wd. It's a great drive.

...seems like CanondaleKid, AZLOT69, Hansen or someone posted going through in the last year :-k

EDIT: my memory is terrible, I may have been on 342 looking at a map :oops:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Road Conditions - How this category works

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 23 2012 9:36 pm

I have yet to traverse the full route. Twice I've been a mile or two east from FR 650 before I had my Samurai.
I did go about halfway from the Top-of-the-World side late last summer but I'd spent most of the day doing recon on the other side of the 60 and ran short of time.

I've been doing 2 or more off-road trips with the Samurai every week and I've got time next week so I just may check it out then.
CannondaleKid

CannondaleKid

Re: FR650 Montana to Top of the World

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 29 2012 6:49 pm

mike.d.smith wrote:Anyone know - what is the condition of this road, runs from FR650 to Top of the World.
Today I drove FR650 from Picketpost to FR342, then FR 342 all the way out to the US60 by Oak Flat. The Forest Service appears to have done quite a bit of work on the roads since I was out that way late last summer because they were in great shape up to the quarry and a small distance past it. As long as it is dry, this much of the road could easily be done with a standard height SUV, preferably with 4wd.

But just past the quarry is a locked gate prohibiting public access. The only option to continue is the very steep and rocky 'Public Access to FR342' bypass. I wouldn't recommend attempting unless you have a very capable 4x4 with good clearance and are not queasy with the steep climb. But if you're ok on both points, go for it, it's only for a short distance.
CannondaleKid

mikedsmith
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ and Chesterfield, England

Post by mikedsmith » Mar 05 2012 9:36 pm

Thank you all for your comments and advice on FR342.

I have a 4Runner 4x4, which is more capable of 4wd than the driver.

Are there any practice drives I could/should do first? I have driven 650 to the (second) Arizona Trail sign.

Mike

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Mar 05 2012 10:18 pm

mike.d.smith wrote:Are there any practice drives I could/should do first? I have driven 650 to the (second) Arizona Trail sign.
I'd recommend continuing up 650 as far as your comfort level allows. Either take 650 all the way to Roger's Trough or turn onto 342 and take that as far as you're comfortable with. Either way there are enough places to turn around.
If you go all the way up 650, I've done the full FR650/FR172 loop with my Pathfinder as well as my Samurai so your 4Runner should do fine.

If you'd like some practice on roads that aren't quite as scary (as in high up along the side of slopes) I'd recommend the area just east of Florence Junction and south of the US 60, entering either from the 60 or from Cottonwood Canyon Rd from the west about 5 miles south of Florence Junction on 79.
CannondaleKid

hikerdw
City, State: Mesa,AZ

Re: FR650 to Reavis Canyon TH

Post by hikerdw » Feb 26 2015 10:06 pm

Was wondering if anyone could report on road conditions of FR650 to Reavis Canyon TH, I.e. 2wd high clearance passable? Looks like some creek/wash driving past the corral so might park there.

Return to “Road Conditions”