US 89 to Page is closed....

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

US 89 to Page is closed....

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 20 2013 7:28 pm

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: US 89 to Page is closed....

Post by Jim_H » Feb 20 2013 8:23 pm

Neat, glad I don't live up there and need to travel that. A lot of the at road is built right on debris strewn slopes.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 20 2013 8:37 pm

Figures I'd move away and something interesting would happen.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 20 2013 10:28 pm

It's going to be a long detour through Tuba City.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 21 2013 8:07 am

and Red Lake, near Shonto, Inscription House, Kaibeto. Scenic, but long.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 21 2013 9:50 am

Officials initially said the cause was not weather related and may be a "geologic event."
Is that what you call it when the rocks move? I participated a geologic event on a scree slope in Colorado in September. :D

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 21 2013 11:37 am

big_load wrote:I participated a geologic event on a scree slope in Colorado in September. :D
Your event sounds more like a gravitational distortion than a geologic event.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 22 2013 1:17 pm

Some updated pictures from ADOT....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 651&type=1
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

nonot

Post by nonot » Feb 22 2013 1:24 pm

Map of detour, I was confused where the closure was:
http://www.azdot.gov/CCPartnerships/New ... 99_Map.pdf
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 22 2013 1:41 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:Some updated pictures from ADOT....
I like how they aren't even shy about it. Every single photo includes ADOT workers standing around with their hands in their pockets. It really conveys a sense of urgency in getting it re-opened before, oh, 2014. ](*,)
Highway to hell

nonot

Post by nonot » Feb 22 2013 1:46 pm

2016, this is the government, after all

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 22 2013 1:58 pm

chumley wrote:
Outdoor Lover wrote:Some updated pictures from ADOT....
I like how they aren't even shy about it. Every single photo includes ADOT workers standing around with their hands in their pockets. It really conveys a sense of urgency in getting it re-opened before, oh, 2014. ](*,)
Well, it ain't like a truck load of hot mix and a tamper is going to fix this one.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 22 2013 2:14 pm

@Sredfield
:sl: Uh, ya...... :sl:

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 22 2013 2:26 pm

I'm no geologist or traffic engineer, but this appears to be a "Slate Creek"-type geologic event. AKA, underground water source creating weakness not able to support the roadway. See exact location here: http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=2499

It may take years for them to build the necessary retaining walls and drainage systems so the new construction is not undermined. However, much like the Slate Creek mess, a temporary usable roadway can still be built and used while that construction is taking place (with periodic closures required).

And I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :M2C:
Highway to hell

big_load

Post by big_load » Feb 22 2013 2:48 pm

Sredfield wrote: Well, it ain't like a truck load of hot mix and a tamper is going to fix this one.
Yeah, that looks like a pretty substantial landslide. I've seen worse, but this will surely eat some time and money.

nonot

Post by nonot » Feb 22 2013 5:03 pm

chumley wrote:I'm no geologist or traffic engineer, but this appears to be a "Slate Creek"-type geologic event. AKA, underground water source creating weakness not able to support the roadway. See exact location here: http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=2499

It may take years for them to build the necessary retaining walls and drainage systems so the new construction is not undermined. However, much like the Slate Creek mess, a temporary usable roadway can still be built and used while that construction is taking place (with periodic closures required).

And I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :M2C:
I think it's a slump failure, zoom out from your map, observe that a 4000 ft section of the cliff to the east slid down towards where they eventually built the rd. This slump is a baby by comparison to the one that happened hundreds/thousands of years ago. Geology happens!

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 25 2013 8:26 am

Well done video that shows why engineers are engineers and not bubble-headed bleach blondes on the evening news : http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valley ... nsible.php (Irony Alert: The ADOT motto is "Keep Arizona Moving", except when you know, it isn't. 8-[ )
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 25 2013 8:34 am

pathway to eventually getting it fixed has already begun.
Yes, we've already begun to consider thinking about the potential to begin repairs. 2018 is set to be a big year for us!

Actually, all laughing at Government aside, what caused the road to slide may not be completed, and it is probably not worth rushing in to rebuilt just to have it happen again. I wonder if the road should be rerouted off the soft slope and through a by-pass that is cut into hard rock? Either right next to the existing road, or away from it. One also wonder, why they never built the road from page up the existing dirt road from the Gap, AZ area, instead of up from Bitter Springs? I guess this was cheaper, but it might have been smarter in the long run.

big_load

Post by big_load » Feb 25 2013 9:51 am

Jim_H wrote:Actually, all laughing at Government aside, what caused the road to slide may not be completed, and it is probably not worth rushing in to rebuilt just to have it happen again. I wonder if the road should be rerouted off the soft slope and through a by-pass that is cut into hard rock?
Excellent points. I don't remember that section of road, but the glimpses of the surrounding area that show up in the video strongly suggest that they won't be able to rebuild anywhere near the current location. The slide is big, the event may not be over, and even if it is, the next slide along the route might come soon enough to warrant relocation.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 25 2013 10:57 am

They might consider paving the route through The Gap and up through Coppermine and Le'Chee.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Return to “Road Conditions”